Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I lost Bluetooth again. I tried a reboot but It froze. (please see attached). Tried both top and bottom 2 connectors with Designare antenna. The machine booted into black screen 3 times. Got it to boot but the trackpad cursor is still jumpy.

Attachments

• IMG_5946.JPG
    IMG_5946.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 88
  • Your config.plist is correct.
  • Device-id 0x3E988086 is also correct.
Did you say that you cloned the EVO Plus to a SATA SSD and booting from the SATA SSD allows all apps to launch properly from the Dock?

On the other hand, if you installed macOS separate on the two drives, then it's possible the copy on 970 EVO Plus got corrupted.

Before doing a fresh installation, please check the rest of the EFI/CLOVER folder on the EVO Plus:
  • Is there an EFI/Microsoft folder?
  • Does your EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder match the screenshot in Final Steps in Post-Installation?

Thanks. Haven't done any reinstalls, yet. Just an initial clone of (then working M2P) to USB 3, from USB 3 to M2M, and from M2M to M2P, and from M2P to SATA.

I don't have a Microsoft folder in my EFI folder, but I know I did at some point (but deleted it). Still, when choosing M2P as boot device I get the option of choosing Windows boot manager (even though I don't have a functional Windows drive now). I guess I could try wiping my M2P drive entirely and start with a clone from my USB 3 disk?

Hi Casey, been lurking for awhile in Hackintosh forums, and in youtube, wherever I could find! Lol. After reading this and others I'm choosing to go with your build. It seems to be inline with my needs and comfort. Since there are so many pages to this thread, I thought I'd just ask this quick question here as opposed to trying to search. Hope that's ok. With your answer, I'll make the decision to make some purchases. :)

The Gigabyte Z390 Designare is capable of 128G of Ram. I'm thinking of the i9-9900k processor that should allow that to work. Would my Hackintosh be able to see all 128G, has anyone tried this and does it pose any complications? I'll also be dual booting to Windows (where I have a real need for 128G...don't ask ;), but want to make sure it isn't prone to Hackintosh problems.

Thanks so much for all your hard work on this! Look forward to your response (or anyone really who might know the answer!).

Hi Casey, been lurking for awhile in Hackintosh forums, and in youtube, wherever I could find! Lol. After reading this and others I'm choosing to go with your build. It seems to be inline with my needs and comfort. Since there are so many pages to this thread, I thought I'd just ask this quick question here as opposed to trying to search. Hope that's ok. With your answer, I'll make the decision to make some purchases. :)

The Gigabyte Z390 Designare is capable of 128G of Ram. I'm thinking of the i9-9900k processor that should allow that to work. Would my Hackintosh be able to see all 128G, has anyone tried this and does it pose any complications? I'll also be dual booting to Windows (where I have a real need for 128G...don't ask ;), but want to make sure it isn't prone to Hackintosh problems.

Thanks so much for all your hard work on this! Look forward to your response (or anyone really who might know the answer!).
Hello @BillyBones, it is possible to install 128GB using four 32GB DIMMs. These are a bit hard to find, but they are available. You must have BIOS vF6 or newer. Some relevant links from earlier posts in this thread by @FriFlo:

Thanks. Haven't done any reinstalls, yet. Just an initial clone of (then working M2P) to USB 3, from USB 3 to M2M, and from M2M to M2P, and from M2P to SATA.

I don't have a Microsoft folder in my EFI folder, but I know I did at some point (but deleted it). Still, when choosing M2P as boot device I get the option of choosing Windows boot manager (even though I don't have a functional Windows drive now). I guess I could try wiping my M2P drive entirely and start with a clone from my USB 3 disk?
Yes I think that makes sense.

Ok, just followed the guide. Everything seems to be up and running. I'm using my GTX 680 Nvidia card (seems natively supported) and I'm not sure if I have it optimized or not. When running VideoProc all the encoding is disabled (is that because the card is not supported?) and VDA is fully supported. Is there an optimized platform to set this card to in Clover Config? Just trying to get the most out of the hardware I already have, but I know I will have to upgrade soon.

Thanks

Ok, just followed the guide. Everything seems to be up and running. I'm using my GTX 680 Nvidia card (seems natively supported) and I'm not sure if I have it optimized or not. When running VideoProc all the encoding is disabled (is that because the card is not supported?) and VDA is fully supported. Is there an optimized platform to set this card to in Clover Config? Just trying to get the most out of the hardware I already have, but I know I will have to upgrade soon.

Thanks

As far as I know, you have to use an AGDP patch solution. I think whatevergreen does it, with NvidiaFixUp kext. Or maybe just whatevergreen.

Nvidia cards need AGDP patch solutions with Mac Pro 6,1 or newer, iMac 15,1 or newer and iMac Pro 1,1 (other new SMBIOS in the future, most likely).

I’m not entirely sure to what MacOS version GTX 680 is supported.

Though, there has been a research by the developer Mieze, that AGDP breaching with NVidia cards leads to certain Power Management issues.

Maybe CaseySJ knows something more.

Thanks a lot @CaseySJ, it makes perfect sense! I will read more on APFS (my primary reason I have not moved off High Sierra yet, but will do it hopefully in upcoming weeks).

What I’m hearing is that a single NVMe with appropriate size is better than NVMe for OS and SSD for users’ directories, correct? And possibly for the same reason it is better to create a single partition on that same NVMe and add volumes RATHER than creating multiple partitions for the OS and users’ homes?

Thanks again for all your support!

FWIW, when I stuck in my second NVMe M2, I totally forgot to make two partitions. I just formatted to APFS and CCC cloned my other OS SSD. When I went to place the proper EFI content to the new NVMe, an EFI folder was already there. Maybe it was created during a previous boot or CCC did a really sweet job, IDK. So, it's an APFS 500GB 970 for the OS and Apps, and an APFS 1TB 970 Pro for the Vienna Symphonic, UVI, and Slate stuff because it's 99% read-only. I had to sacrifice SATA 4 and 5, but I still have 3 HFS+ 860 1TB SSDs and a few more HFS+ in a BMD Multidock II via Thunderbolt. I had some data loss issues on High Sierra on a Mini 6,2 using APFS-formatted SSDs for media. Luckily I had backups to replace the files that the OS didn't actually copy, but just "pretended" to copy. YMMV...

I lost Bluetooth again. I tried a reboot but It froze. (please see attached). Tried both top and bottom 2 connectors with Designare antenna. The machine booted into black screen 3 times. Got it to boot but the trackpad cursor is still jumpy.
Do you by any chance have a wired mouse that you can connect just to rule out something with the overall system rather specifically with Bluetooth connectivity being the issue?

Yes I think that makes sense.
Sweet!! Guess the Windows bootloader interference was the cause after all then.
Wiped my M2P EVO, re-cloned to there, and all great.
Currently having my 2nd EVO (non-Plus) in the M2M slot, but will swap it out for the EVO Plus to see if that works.
Then, install W10 and (note-to-self) make sure to remove M2P drive first.
Thanks, @CaseySJ, I'm real happy now :)

Last edited:
Back