Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm seeing the same delay when I boot with the "AAPL,ig-platform-id 0300983E", Get about 30 seconds of black screen between verbose log and login. When I go back to "0300923E", then it boots quickly again. Maybe that is just how it has to be?
Please try again using the latest versions of Lilu (1.3.6) and WhateverGreen (1.2.9). The first time you reboot with the new versions you might not see an improvement, but after another one or two restarts it should get back to normal.

Edit: Spoke too soon!

@CaseySJ, Sorry I have hid under a rock for the last few thousand posts (not that I can contribute terribly meaningfully). I have been running my i9 9900K, z390 extreme Vega 64 system as iMacPro1,1 stably for the last few months but wanted to change it up to iMac 19,1 with iGPU enabled. it looks like all is well except I am using the wrong device ID or platform ID as my processor shows up in the "about this Mac" as an i7. I apologize if this is a dumb question but I promise I did spend the last 30 minutes searching the forum before posting.

@CaseySJ, Sorry I have hid under a rock for the last few thousand posts (not that I can contribute terribly meaningfully). I have been running my i9 9900K, z390 extreme Vega 64 system as iMacPro1,1 stably for the last few months but wanted to change it up to iMac 19,1 with iGPU enabled. it looks like all is well except I am using the wrong device ID or platform ID as my processor shows up in the "about this Mac" as an i7. I apologize if this is a dumb question but I promise I did spend the last 30 minutes searching the forum before posting.
With iMac19,1 on 10.14.5 it's best to use:
  • Platform ID 0x3E980003 for headless mode.
  • Remove any "device_id" parameter from Devices --> Properties. MacOS 10.14.4+ natively recognizes the iGPU in 9th-gen CPUs (0x3E98).
  • For i9-9900K only, it's necessary to specify CPU Type 0x1005 as shown.

For unknown drives etc see this link

For my 0xEE issue earlier
"The MBR sector uses 0xEE as a code, and "protects" the disk by declaring the whole used by this unknown partition."

One of the few times I missed PC Tools or a hex editor :)

SATA Hot Swap / Hot Plug working

I have several old bare SATA drives that I like to use for progressive System Backups (i.e Fresh Install, Tweaked OS, Final configuration) and for storing Installer files (formatted with multiple partitions). In my previous build I was able to Hot Swap these drives using a SYBA 5.25-Inch Bay Tray Less Mobile Rack. When I had my 'fresh install' complete I wanted a backup, but noticed the drive would not mount until I rebooted, even though I had enabled BIOS > Peripherals > SATA > Hot Plug for the desired port.

A little research found - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-problem-hdd-not-supported.249096/post-1720389

and I can now successfully Hot Swap my SATA drives

Attachments

• HotSwapPatch.jpg
    HotSwapPatch.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 86
With iMac19,1 on 10.14.5 it's best to use:
  • Platform ID 0x3E980003 for headless mode.
  • Remove any "device_id" parameter from Devices --> Properties. MacOS 10.14.4+ natively recognizes the iGPU in 9th-gen CPUs (0x3E98).
  • For i9-9900K only, it's necessary to specify CPU Type 0x1005 as shown.
View attachment 411835

@CaseySJ, Thanks so much - this fixed it and I'm all good at iMac 19,1. So is there any way to confirm that the iGPU is being used for quick sync? I can see it in Geekbench but not within my System Information -> Graphics/Displays, which I believe is expected behavior. Sleep/Wake, JPEG Preview, and FCPX work just fine. My Geekbench scores are a little lower though. Intel Power widget doesn't show a GPU frequency for me, but my utilization when watching a 4K mkv is less than 5 so I feel like all is well.
Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 8.16.17 PM.png

Last edited:
Some suggestions:
  • Try Option-Clicking in System Preferences --> Displays --> Scaled. This will show you many more resolutions and it might provide some refresh rates as well (30Hz vs 60Hz). Try the lowest refresh rates first. You may need to do this through remote login.
  • Try a USB-C to HDMI adapter such as this one. The USB-C side of the adapter can be plugged into either of the two Thunderbolt 3 ports on the back panel. Those two ports support DisplayPort output without the need for any framebuffer connector patches.
  • Connect a relatively recent computer monitor that supports DP 1.2+ and HDMI 1.4+ to check the behavior of on-board HDMI.
  • Considering using an AMD GPU such as RX 570 or RX 580. They are quite cheap and generally work very well in 10.14.5.

I got that USB-C to HDMI cable and video out works just fine out either Thunderbolt 3 port. The actual HDMI port is what doesn't work though.

So I tried the display refresh rate option click. I was only able to get 2 resolutions to work after also showing low resolutions.

Those are 1920x1080 and 3840x2160. These are the only 2 that don't disable the refresh rate option.

I can get 24/25/30 Hz but any higher kills the video out, until I remote login to set it back.

So, I went to confirm that my TV supports it, and it absolutely should support 4K at 60Hz

I saw a note about the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting. I turned this on all ports in the past, never having an issue with it. I turned it off on HDMI 4 now, which is the port I am using for the Hackintosh.

Upon turning that feature off for HDMI 4, I am able to use all possible combinations of resolution and refresh rate that are offered. Turning it off immediately activated video out.

So, I closed settings and reopened and set it to the middle scaling option, which is 2560x1440 as I intended.

Back