Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

SATA Hot Swap / Hot Plug working

I have several old bare SATA drives that I like to use for progressive System Backups (i.e Fresh Install, Tweaked OS, Final configuration) and for storing Installer files (formatted with multiple partitions). In my previous build I was able to Hot Swap these drives using a SYBA 5.25-Inch Bay Tray Less Mobile Rack. When I had my 'fresh install' complete I wanted a backup, but noticed the drive would not mount until I rebooted, even though I had enabled BIOS > Peripherals > SATA > Hot Plug for the desired port.

A little research found - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-problem-hdd-not-supported.249096/post-1720389

and I can now successfully Hot Swap my SATA drives
I would like to add this to Contributed Files and Tips but need some clarification:
  • With this patch, are you hot-swapping internal SATA disks connected to any of the six internal SATA headers?
  • Or is this for external SATA disks connected via an eSATA port on a PCIe SATA card?

@CaseySJ, Thanks so much - this fixed it and I'm all good at iMac 19,1. So is there any way to confirm that the iGPU is being used for quick sync? I can see it in Geekbench but not within my System Information -> Graphics/Displays, which I believe is expected behavior. Sleep/Wake, JPEG Preview, and FCPX work just fine. My Geekbench scores are a little lower though. Intel Power widget doesn't show a GPU frequency for me, but my utilization when watching a 4K mkv is less than 5 so I feel like all is well.View attachment 411844
To determine whether iGPU is being used, please check the following:
  • IORegistryExplorer --> IGPU@2 --> Is there an AppleIntelFramebuffer... child node under IGPU@2? If so, the correct driver is active.
  • Hackintool --> Info --> System. Check if "VDA Decoder" is "Fully Supported" as shown in the screenshot in this post.

Thank you for sharing your experience and welcome to the forum! Let me make some comments about the first 2 points:
  1. slide=0 should work perfectly every time if the only memory driver in drivers64UEFI folder is OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi. If you have AptioMemoryFix-64.efi and/or OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi, they should be deleted.
  2. The standard post-installation procedure sets up the system in non-headless mode in which the iGPU will drive a display monitor. But as mentioned in the opening paragraphs of Going the Extra Mile, we should switch to "headless" platform ID 0x3E980003 in order to use Final Cut Pro and iMovie.

Your suggestion on the driverless mode and platform ID did the trick -- I eventually had to uncheck 'inject intel' in graphics as suggested in the guide in the first post but now I have final cut working along with quicklook with iGPU enabled so have hw support (as shown also in geekbench).

Regarding slide -- I don't know what to say -- I could have sworn that slide=0 caused a problem and removing it fixed it (and my machine was booting with it removed) but I just re-added it and it booted fine......

You have taken my dream hardware and made it pefect as a Mac!

I would like to add this to Contributed Files and Tips but need some clarification:
  • With this patch, are you hot-swapping internal SATA disks connected to any of the six internal SATA headers?
  • Or is this for external SATA disks connected via an eSATA port on a PCIe SATA card?

In combination with the BIOS setting, this patch is for internal (motherboard) SATA connections.
FYI, as I researched the issue, I found other AHCI patches that were OS specific. It seems, from what I found, that this particular patch currently works in High Sierra and Mojave through 10.14.5 and is Intel SATA chip specific.

Thanks @CaseySJ , I have converted my W10 SSD from MBR to GPT about a month back or so. Before that I upgraded that SSD from W7 to 10 on the older box and then moved to already running HAC on Disignare, settled it (W10) on MBR for about 2 months and after seeing no issues (with the only application that I'm using under Windows) converted it to GPT. It was stable on MBR and ran without issues as a secondary OS to my High Sierra. The idea to get back to MBR came after reading about one of the W updates went wild and made some BIOS changes. I'm not sure if MBR would help here but it does seem to me that MBR is kind of more contained environment. I may be wrong though.
Drives have been swapped. Currently on Windows 10 build 1809 and waiting for 1903. That will be the test of our theory that moving Windows to the M2M slot will prevent it from interfering with EFI partitions on other disks.
It works!!

Just installed Windows 10 Build 1903 (May 2019 Feature Update):
  • Windows NVMe installed in the top M2M slot
  • Mojave NVMe installed in the bottom M2P slot
With this configuration, the Windows installer does not interfere with Clover or EFI partition on the Mojave SSD.

In combination with the BIOS setting, this patch is for internal (motherboard) SATA connections.
FYI, as I researched the issue, I found other AHCI patches that were OS specific. It seems, from what I found, that this particular patch currently works in High Sierra and Mojave through 10.14.5 and is Intel SATA chip specific.
Thanks! New section added: Enabling SATA Hot Plug.

Hi @CaseySJ. Thanks for this guide. I've just updated my build to the Z390 Designare with a I9-9900K. I originally had a Z370 Gaming 7, then a Z390 Pro. The Pro is going to be pressed into service running Unraid software running virtual machines and Docker apps etc. Still thinking about what to do with the Gaming 7.
Once again thanks for your guide and help on this forum.:clap::)

It works!!

With this configuration, the Windows installer does not interfere with Clover or EFI partition on the Mojave SSD.

But then you will lose even more SATA slots...

It works!!

Is this something new on Z390 boards? I updated my Win10 SSD a couple of times(well, lots of times) on my previous Z170x without ill effect.

OSX/Clover was left alone.

Anyone had any issues with the CPU name in ‘About This Mac’? I’ve followed the guide on here and just about every other guide I can find and ATM still says ‘4.01GHz’ which frankly is just untidy...

Back