Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello James,

What is the exact model name of your motherboard? Gigabyte has many Z390 models.
Hey Casey,

I have the Z390 Designare 12ME-Z390DSG-1001R

Hello,

I tried to find a solution to this via the thread but couldn't find anything...so I am sorry if this has been answered before. I am a noob so I don't fully understand everything and if this stuff is a major issue. I followed this tutorial but have a few things that didn't turn out the way they were supposed to and am at a loss on how or IF I need to fix them.

My Build is slightly different GIGABYTE Z390 + Intel i9 + VEGA 64 + Fractal R6 case.
After completing the install I noticed when comparing the state of my system after install that many things were different. Below are picture comparisons...my window is in black. Also attached is my config.plist

AUDIO - Is working fine but am missing thunderbolt audio.
As stated in the guide, the Thunderbolt Audio devices are from my 14-port OWC Thunderbolt dock. If you don't have this dock, you won't see these devices.

- I have internet but seem to be missing one Ethernet bus compared to the OP's install.
As stated in the guide, the additional Ethernet device is from my 14-port OWC Thunderbolt dock. If you don't have this dock, you won't see this device.

- Missing lots of drivers here. Not sure if I need them?
No worries; you don't need them. If you see the section Specifying Device Names and Types, you can add some of these entries yourself, but this is purely for informational (not functional) purposes.

- Missing all Generic AHCI controllers but have Intell 11 series listed instead. Is this an issue?
No problem here.

- Thunderbolt seems to work on the back of my device but not in the front case USB-C
Try replacing the USB SSDT with the attached version (CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder).

- I am plugged in via Ethernet and have internet but no wifi support for what came internally in the motherboard. I know OP used a separate card but is there a way to get the internal to work?
The on-board WiFi/BT card is not compatible with macOS as mentioned in the guide. It will be necessary to purchase a Broadcom BCM94360-series card such as the Fenvi FV-T919. This card is supported natively -- just plug and play, but be sure to copy SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-NO-CNVW.aml to the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder to disable the on-board Intel CNVi card.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-C-TG.aml
    658 bytes · Views: 77
One issue I've come up to with a similar build and this Z390 is a lack of USB headers. (Is that what they're called?)

My PCI WiFi/Bluetooth needs it or power. My RGB fans need it for power, and the front of my computer's USB drives need it for power. I think something else I'm forgetting as well... but there's only one spot! I've just been leaving the front of the computer and the wifi-bluetooth without power since I can do without Bluetooth in Mac.

As stated in the guide, the Thunderbolt Audio devices are from my 14-port OWC Thunderbolt dock. If you don't have this dock, you won't see these devices.

As stated in the guide, the additional Ethernet device is from my 14-port OWC Thunderbolt dock. If you don't have this dock, you won't see this device.

No worries; you don't need them. If you see the section Specifying Device Names and Types, you can add some of these entries yourself, but this is purely for informational (not functional) purposes.

No problem here.

Try replacing the USB SSDT with the attached version (CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder).

The on-board WiFi/BT card is not compatible with macOS as mentioned in the guide. It will be necessary to purchase a Broadcom BCM94360-series card such as the Fenvi FV-T919. This card is supported natively -- just plug and play, but be sure to copy SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-NO-CNVW.aml to the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder to disable the on-board Intel CNVi card.
Thanks so much. I included it in my patches folder but still no dice on the front Thunderbolt port working.
Here is a pic of my patches folder in case you see anything that I might have added incorrectly. I do wonder if I had the wrong USB SSDT to start with...the one I had originally was called "SSDT-EC.aml".

Thanks again

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 3.18.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 3.18.44 PM.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 66
Thanks so much. I included it in my patches folder but still no dice on the front Thunderbolt port working.
Please note that the front port is a USB-C port that supports only USB devices. Unlike the two USB-C ports on the rear, the front panel USB-C port does not support Thunderbolt. But you should be able to connect USB 3 devices to it. By default, USB 1 and USB 2 devices might not work in that port. Does your USB-C device work on the rear USB ports (but not on the front USB-C port)?

Here is a pic of my patches folder in case you see anything that I might have added incorrectly. I do wonder if I had the wrong USB SSDT to start with...the one I had originally was called "SSDT-EC.aml".
IMPORTANT: Please delete SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-V2.aml.

There should only be one SSDT-UIAC-* file in that folder.

Feel free to compress and upload your Clover folder and a screenshot of /Library/Extensions. You may redact serial number from SMBIOS section of config.plist.

sorry it took me a little time to get back to you, here is clover and screen grab....

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    11.7 MB · Views: 91
sorry it took me a little time to get back to you, here is clover and screen grab....

View attachment 408719
Please try the attached CLOVER-bsholbrook folder (rename it of course). Changes made:
  • Duplicate Aptio Memory fix driver (OsxAptioFix3drv.efi) deleted. Only one memory driver is allowed at a time. OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi is already present.
  • Checked-on "AppleIntelCPUPM" in Clover Configurator --> Kernel and Kext Patches. If your MSR 0xE2 register is locked (which is the default case on Designare Z390), then this should be checked on.
  • Deleted non-standard FakeSMC sensor kexts from CLOVER/kexts/Other.
  • Deleted framebuffer "Orinoco" from Clover Configurator --> Graphics.
  • Set platform ID to 0x3E980003 by specifying the bytes in reverse order: 0300983E.

Attachments

• CLOVER-bsholbrook.zip
    11.6 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
CaseySJ,

Just some quick feedback - I followed your "preliminary" guide on adding VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC and all went smoothly.

But first, I've got to thank you for all your effort on putting together such a great guide, and being such a boundless resource to all of us. You posted your fan sensor guide just as was starting to search for how to monitor the fan speeds!

Here are the sensors I was seeing with FakeSMC installed (iStat and HWMonitor):

And here are the sensors I'm seeing now with the VirtualSMC set: (all three monitoring apps- but before installing Intel Power Gadget)

A few observations: HWMonitorSMC2 has the most sensors, although it initially didn't show the RX580 info until I checked the Intel Power Gadget box in the Preferences (I hadn't installed the Gadget yet, but it worked for the RX580). It looks like both iStat and the older HWMonitor lose some sensors, but they are in HWMonitorSMC2. iStat looks like it will allow fan speed control, but it didn't appear to work for me. I initially lost CPU Frequency that was working with FakeSMC. I needed to download and install Intel Power Gadget ( https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget), and then the CPU Frequency showed up in iStat menu and in HWMonitorSMC2 when I relaunched the app. So I think I'm pretty well covered on sensors now!

Thanks again!

CaseySJ,

Just some quick feedback - I followed your "preliminary" guide on adding VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC and all went smoothly.

But first, I've got to thank you for all your effort on putting together such a great guide, and being such a boundless resource to all of us. You posted your fan sensor guide just as was starting to search for how to monitor the fan speeds!

Here are the sensors I was seeing with FakeSMC installed (iStat and HWMonitor):

View attachment 408716View attachment 408717

And here are the sensors I'm seeing now with the VirtualSMC set: (all three monitoring apps- but before installing Intel Power Gadget)

View attachment 408718

A few observations: HWMonitorSMC2 has the most sensors, although it initially didn't show the RX580 info until I checked the Intel Power Gadget box in the Preferences (I hadn't installed the Gadget yet, but it worked for the RX580). It looks like both iStat and the older HWMonitor lose some sensors, but they are in HWMonitorSMC2. iStat looks like it will allow fan speed control, but it didn't appear to work for me. I initially lost CPU Frequency that was working with FakeSMC. I needed to download and install Intel Power Gadget ( https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget), and then the CPU Frequency showed up in iStat menu and in HWMonitorSMC2 when I relaunched the app. So I think I'm pretty well covered on sensors now!

Thanks again!
You are the first to provide feedback on this, and it is very helpful!! I'll install Intel Power Gadget as well, check-on the corresponding box in HWMonitorSMC settings, and observe the difference. Will update the preliminary guide as a result. Your screenshots are showing a number of differences that might be attributed to Intel Power Gadget.

As you noted, a fan control option appears in iStat Menus, but it is a teaser only at this time!

By the way, your profile says "Gigabyte Z390X Designare". Is there a Z390X model?

Last edited:
Back