Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Three points:
  1. For all of its (many) faults, Windows has a few good features. One of them being its ability to download and install just about all the drivers it needs. If you set BIOS -> Windows 8/10 Features to Windows 8/10 or Windows 8/10 WHQL before installing, it might be able to do a better job of configuring itself on your system. I did not need to download anything from the Gigabyte website. But if something (such as Thunderbolt) does not seem to be setup properly, then download and install the appropriate driver yourself. But give Windows a chance do it automatically. When Windows installation is done, change that BIOS parameter back to Other OS.

Do you have the most up to date drivers? Or are the ones on Gigabytes site newer? Just curious, because on my Windows machine, I recently changed it over from Windows 7 to Windows 10 clean install. Some of the stuff was there, but some of the stuff still needed to be installed. I think related to USB, it also did not install my Thunderbolt 3 card but that is an add-in.

I am currently using Sysdef iMac19,1 with Lilu + WEG in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other and /Library/Extensions but, even so, HEVC is not supported in VideoProc
View attachment 408503

OK, Added the EFI/CLOVER folder and the IOreg file if it could be useful
The problem is that connecting monitor with the DVI port I no longer have audio connecting speakers with the green rear port of the motherboard
Thanks again for Your help
Please try copying the attached kext to /Library/Extensions and rebuild kernel cache by running Kext Utility. If this works, I'll add it to the build guide.

Attachments

• dummy141.kext.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 83
Please try copying the attached kext to /Library/Extensions and rebuild kernel cache by running Kext Utility. If this works, I'll add it to the build guide.
I tried installing dummy141.kext (reboot with/without RX580 SSDT). Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the problem.
Any idea about Audio problem on the Rear Green port (motherboard)?

Did I understand it properly, that 2 black USB 2.0 ports will be unavailable even after all patches? Also, is it real to turn on audio in and out ports on front of the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX case?

I have almost same build:
Z390 Designare
i9-9900k
Radeon VII
Samsing EVO 970 1TB
Phanteks Evolve case.

I have everything working beside 2 USB ports and Front Panel audio ports. Also Radeon VII has a raw drivers for now (OS doesn't detect it`s clocks and temp).

Did I understand it properly, that 2 black USB 2.0 ports will be unavailable even after all patches? Also, is it real to turn on audio in and out ports on front of the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX case?
The two black USB 2.0 ports will work after the USB SSDT is installed (this SSDT works with USBInjectAll.kext). The audio In/Out jacks on the front panel should work with latest AppleALC, but you may want to try different layouts. For example, try Layout 16 (recommended) as well as 7.

If you’re running 10.14.5, the Radeon VII should be properly managed. Clocks and Temps should be shown in iStat Menus, but if not, have a look at this:

Last edited:
I tried installing dummy141.kext (reboot with/without RX580 SSDT), unfortunately, it doesn't solve the problem.
Any idea about Audio problem on the rear green port (motherboard)?
Your config.plist and CLOVER folder look good. I would suggest downloading the latest Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC. All three were updated 4 days ago and they support PlatformID 0x3E980003 for the first time. Boot time with this platform ID has come back down to normal. Be sure to rebuild kernel cache by running Kext Utility after updating these three kexts.

I would also suggest re-reviewing the steps under “Final Steps in Post Installation” (note the addition of “shikigva=60” to boot arguments).

A more drastic alternative would be to install macOS 10.14.5 from scratch on a spare SSD mounted inside an external USB 3 enclosure to see if HEVC, H.264, and audio problems disappear.

Hello again,

i'm running FCPx with
-i9 9900k
-designware z390
-64gb ram
-asus rog strix vega64

and i recently changed to iMac pro1,1 from [iMac 19,1] to try and get the maximum performance outta my system
though now videoproc is showing my gfxcard as N/A

i'm wondering if i'd be better served by using a SMBIOS that is closer to my actual components?
I now the iMacpro uses X chips versus our H chips
and for FCPx arent 2 gfx cards [iGPU + PCI gpu] better for performance?

@CaseySJ i'm hoping you have a moment to check my config out?
I pretty sure everything is correct - though I'm no expert
and i followed your amazing guide to a T [huge thanks for this guide once again!]

Thanks!!

Attachments

• videoproc settings.png
    videoproc settings.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 77
  • config.plist
    8.9 KB · Views: 129
The two black USB 2.0 ports will work after the USB SSDT is installed (this SSDT works with USBInjectAll.kext). The audio In/Out jacks on the front panel should work with latest AppleALC, but you may want to try different layouts. For example, try Layout 16 (recommended) as well as 7.

If you’re running 10.14.5, the Radeon VII should be properly managed. Clocks and Temps should be shown in iStat Menus, but if not, have a look at this:
Thank you, I have all USB ports working wit USBinjectall.kext now.
I updated AppleALC with the fresh version in Library/extensions and in EFI/Clover/kexts/others but front ports are still unavailable. Will try alternative layouts.
Yes I am on 10.14.5 and Radeon VII is detected properly. I will wait for less risky method of getting it`s hardware info.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 17.17.24.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 17.17.24.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 17.18.23.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 17.18.23.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 80
Hello again,

i'm running FCPx with
-i9 9900k
-designware z390
-64gb ram
-asus rog strix vega64

and i recently changed to iMac pro1,1 from [iMac 19,1] to try and get the maximum performance outta my system
though now videoproc is showing my gfxcard as N/A

i'm wondering if i'd be better served by using a SMBIOS that is closer to my actual components?
I now the iMacpro uses X chips versus our H chips
and for FCPx arent 2 gfx cards [iGPU + PCI gpu] better for performance?

@CaseySJ i'm hoping you have a moment to check my config out?
I pretty sure everything is correct - though I'm no expert
and i followed your amazing guide to a T [huge thanks for this guide once again!]

Thanks!!
Hello @hussar,

The iMacPro1,1 definition requires us to disable the iGPU. Because the iMac Pro uses a Xeon processor, there is simply no iGPU in that chip. That’s why we must disable IGFX in BIOS and remove “framebuffer-patch-enable” from Devices —> Properties. This will result in only one GPU: the Vega 64. But you shouldn’t worry about disabling the Intel UHD 630 because Vega 64 is superior in every way. MacOS will fully use the Vega, but you should update to 10.14.5 for best results. (Your config.plist still has “framebuffer-patch-enable” so please delete that.)

Last edited:
Thank you, I have all USB ports working wit USBinjectall.kext now.
I updated AppleALC with the fresh version in Library/extensions and in EFI/Clover/kexts/others but front ports are still unavailable. Will try alternative layouts.
Yes I am on 10.14.5 and Radeon VII is detected properly. I will wait for less risky method of getting it`s hardware info.
Have a look at this web page:
If you search for “1220” using the Find function in your web browser, you will see a lot of different Layouts for the ALC-1220. Layout ID 28 was just added for Gigabyte AORUS Ultra.

Please note that there might not be a perfect Layout ID for the Designare Z390 in which every input and output port is functional. We have to settle on the best fit for our needs. In general, though, the rear audio in/out ports are much better supported and even provide much better audio quality.

So if you can run longer cables to the rear IO panel, that might be a good alternative. And, of course, you can always buy a USB Audio interface that can be plugged into a USB port on the front panel. Some of these USB audio devices are like USB Flash Drives — they are small single units that provide simple audio in/out. Here’s an example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Back