Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Then you can either:
  1. Update your EFI to the current version of Clover, without *beast tools since these are long discontinued; or
  2. Switch to OpenCore using this guide.
In either case, if you used Wi-Fi Sonoma means switching from Broadcom (Fenvi) to Intel and losing some Continuity features.

Hi etorix. Again, thanks for your reply.
Wi-Fi is not important for me as the computer is right next to the router and cable connected.
It would be nice if BT worked though.
I´ve opted for a new clean install with OpenCore. I followed this guide to the best of my ability: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/installer-guide/ It seemed to work, but failed after first reboot. Do you have a link to the guide you mention in 2.)?

Then you can either:
  1. Update your EFI to the current version of Clover, without *beast tools since these are long discontinued; or
  2. Switch to OpenCore using this guide.
In either case, if you used Wi-Fi Sonoma means switching from Broadcom (Fenvi) to Intel and losing some Continuity features.
So.. I am now replying from my new Sonoma install with my BT keyboard on a cabled connection.

Some strange issues here... Even though I erased and partitioned the SSD and used a brand new USB stick for booting, I still got the old Clover boot option. If I boot directly from the SSD with Clover it fails. I need to boot from the USB stick every time. The OC bootloader starts, I choose option 4 - boot from Sonoma, A lot of text rushes down the screen and then the Log In window appears. I can, seemingly, log into Sonoma as usual. I´ve downloaded Firefox and Logic and they seem to have been installed correctly on the SSD.

Any clue to how to fix this so I dont need to boot form the USB stick? Edit: It seems I didnt manage to create a EFI Folder on the Somoma SSD. I will try to create one and copy the EFI folder from the USB stick into the new EFI folder.

Last edited:
So.. I am now replying from my new Sonoma install with my BT keyboard on a cabled connection.

Some strange issues here... Even though I erased and partitioned the SSD and used a brand new USB stick for booting, I still got the old Clover boot option. If I boot directly from the SSD with Clover it fails. I need to boot from the USB stick every time. The OC bootloader starts, I choose option 4 - boot from Sonoma, A lot of text rushes down the screen and then the Log In window appears. I can, seemingly, log into Sonoma as usual. I´ve downloaded Firefox and Logic and they seem to have been installed correctly on the SSD.

Any clue to how to fix this so I dont need to boot form the USB stick?
mount the EFI partition from your USB stick and copy the EFI folder to your desktop

remove USB from pc

mount EFI partition from your Hard drive and then copy the EFI folder from desktop to EFI partition

mount the EFI partition from your USB stick and copy the EFI folder to your desktop

remove USB from pc

mount EFI partition from your Hard drive and then copy the EFI folder from desktop to EFI partition
Thanks @Feartech and @etorix! Computer boots from SSD.
After BIOS screen I now need to choose option 1. Boot from Sonora.
A lot of text rushes down the screen and OS starts.
Not the most elegant start up sequence, but it works.

Many thanks for all the help!

Once you get it working you can remove boot-arg "-v".

Where can I find the latest guide(s) to make a fresh Ventura or Sonoma install on this system with Opencore? Thanks!
all the information is in post 1

Where can I find the latest guide(s) to make a fresh Ventura or Sonoma install on this system with Opencore? Thanks!
There isn’t a complete guide for this, but there is a Sonoma mini-guide that you will find from the spoiler “Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides” at the top of Post 1.

Back