Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Ouch!! But your choice to build this system constitutes a wise recovery plan. :)
I read somewhere that Macbooks only like Apple juice and can't tolerate tomato for some reason.
Maybe just an urban myth. :D

Last edited:
Are there any guides/videos out there for physically removing the CNVi card? I did some due diligence and searched, but can't seem to find anything.

@tokyocpu How did you go about it?
On the Designare Z390 the process is trivial, but requires some degree of care:
  • The CNVi is located behind one of the x1 PCIe slots, making it very accessible once nearby PCIe cards are removed.
  • Remove retaining screw, disconnect two small Mhf4 antenna leads, pull out the card and cover plate.
  • Be careful when popping out the Mhf4 antenna leads! Use steady hands and gentle amount of force.
NOTE: Unless absolutely necessary to avoid conflicts with other operating systems, the CNVi card should remain installed, and SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-NO-CNVW.aml should be copied into CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

On the Designare Z390 the process is trivial, but requires some degree of care:
  • The CNVi is located behind one of the x1 PCIe slots, making it very accessible once nearby PCIe cards are removed.
  • Remove retaining screw, disconnect two small Mhf4 antenna leads, pull out the card and cover plate.
  • Be careful when popping out the Mhf4 antenna leads! Use steady hands and gentle amount of force.
NOTE: Unless absolutely necessary to avoid conflicts with other operating systems, the CNVi card should remain installed, and SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-NO-CNVW.aml should be copied into CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

Does the MB need to be removed from case first? On the Aorus Master, it appears there is a cover that needs to be removed first, right? Is the retaining screw on the front or back of MB? Removing the leads isn't permanent, right? Just curious as far as putting things back together when I resell the board (which is inevitable with my frequent upgrade habits).

It was very easy to remove, with the motherboard installed in the case. I've got the gunmetal R6 USB-C case so I thought i'd post pics, top and sides are off (work in progress).

case-1.jpgcase-2.jpg

Last edited:
* Disassembly of SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml, Wed Apr 24 11:18:59 2019
* Original Table Header:
* Signature "SSDT"
* Length 0x000004C7 (1223)
* Revision 0x01
* Checksum 0x55
* OEM ID "KGP"
* OEM Table ID "Z390R580"
* OEM Revision 0x00000000 (0)
* Compiler ID "INTL"
* Compiler Version 0x20180427 (538444839)
*/

I have my RX580 in the middle (second) slot on the motherboard since the Fenvi T919 is in the first x1 slot. What do I need to change to accomodate the new slot, I was wondering.

"AAPL,slot-name",
Buffer (0x07)
{
"Slot-1"
},

I'm new to SSDT, but willing to learn more. I downloaded iasl so I can see whats going on inside the file.

Some initial comments (which means additional steps might be needed, but we should start with this):
  • Because you’re using sysdef iMacPro1,1 it is best to delete the IGPU settings from Devices —> Properties.
  • The iMacPro uses an Intel Xeon and X299 chipset. There is no IGPU in a Xeon, hence iMacPro requires dGPU.
  • Because you’ve disabled IGPU in BIOS, there’s no need for “ig-platform-id” or “device-id” or “framebuffer-patch-enable”.
  • Latest version of Lilu and WhateverGreen should be installed in /Library/Extensions and in CLOVER/kexts/Other. Must run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache after any modification to /L/E folder.
  • To identify cause of sleep/wake problems, it’s best to unplug all USB devices with the exception of keyboard and mouse, test sleep/wake, and if it’s okay, plug in one USB device at a time and recheck sleep/wake (no need to reboot).
  • If sleep/wake is a problem even with all USB devices removed, then check for differences between single monitor and multiple monitors.
  • Are you using a kext or SSDT or Clover to control Vega fan and power?

Thank you @CaseySJ . Before writing my post, I removed all things from Devices properties, have latest Lilu and WhateverGreen in both places, rebuilt w Kext Utility.

I am using VGTab kext since I have a slight OC on my GPU.

I will unplug all USB and test, then test the monitors like you said. Again, everything was fine until 10.14.4. But I think my first mode of operation will be to delete my VGTab kext.

* Disassembly of SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml, Wed Apr 24 11:18:59 2019
* Original Table Header:
* Signature "SSDT"
* Length 0x000004C7 (1223)
* Revision 0x01
* Checksum 0x55
* OEM ID "KGP"
* OEM Table ID "Z390R580"
* OEM Revision 0x00000000 (0)
* Compiler ID "INTL"
* Compiler Version 0x20180427 (538444839)
*/

I have my RX580 in the middle (second) slot on the motherboard since the Fenvi T919 is in the first x1 slot. What do I need to change to accomodate the new slot, I was wondering.

"AAPL,slot-name",
Buffer (0x07)
{
"Slot-1"
},

I'm new to SSDT, but willing to learn more. I downloaded iasl so I can see whats going on inside the file.
Fortunately, there is already a version of the SSDT for the RX 580 in Slot 2: SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-SLOT2-V2.aml

The changes are:
  • Line 30: Scope (_SB.PCI0.PEG1)
    • PEG1 is the graphics device in Slot 2
    • PEG0 is the graphics device in Slot 1
  • Lines 267 and 312:
    • Replace "Slot-1" with "Slot-2"

Does the MB need to be removed from case first? On the Aorus Master, it appears there is a cover that needs to be removed first, right? Is the retaining screw on the front or back of MB? Removing the leads isn't permanent, right? Just curious as far as putting things back together when I resell the board (which is inevitable with my frequent upgrade habits).
  • MB does not need to be removed, but unplug power cable from the wall. Seriously.
  • Retaining screw is on the front of the motherboard and it must be removed first.
  • The cover needs to come off, and then CNVi can slip out. Just like the M.2 slots.
  • The antenna leads can be reconnected, which is a little tricky. I have to use a magnifying glass to align the ends of the cables to the receptors on the circuit board.
  • After removing CNVi, you don't have to reconnect the antenna wires.
Again, this entire procedure should be done only if absolutely necessary.

Recently I’ve come to understand that:

The 94360CS2 is a mobile chip.
The 943602CS is a desktop chip.
The 94360CD is a faster desktop chip.

All should work out of the box (no drivers needed) as long as the vendor is using a genuine chip.

Thank you. I guess there's no way to verify the genuinity of the chip other than try it. I have everything in basket now, just need to figure out if I'm going to pull the trigger or not.

And @CaseySJ , generic question: even though my iGPU is disabled in bios, and I have nothing in devices, is that compute still being used for rendering? Would it give me some better FPS in ProApps if it is? Before I disabled everything, and in 10.14.2 I went through your post line-by-line. In Cinebench, my FPS were 175. Then I went in and customized the headless config like your post talks of at the bottom for ProApps. Cinebench went down to 123 FPS. It has stayed there in 10.14.4 regardless if I have anything in Devices or not. HOWEVER, my rendering times are now faster in Davinci Resolve.

When I had 175 FPS in Cinebench, my test render was 4min something, when it went down to 123FPS I got 2:03m in Davinci Resolve. I guess I'm a little confused how taking away a processor equals better performance unless they both 'crowd each other' while processing or something (talking of iGPU and Vega)? And I'm wondering how lower framerates in Cinebench equate to faster rendering times?

This is just the OC'd part of me talking. Sorry to take up thread space... :crazy::lol:

Back