Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ Just wondering if you had a chance to have a look at this? Just to confirm, liquidctl has not been working for me for several months now so Im not sure if it was one of the previous Monterey updates that did it or perhaps one of the OC updates

I tried installing liquidctl in Ventura, but XCode command line tools are not yet available to the public. I’ll boot into Monterey and check this today.
Just booted Monterey, updated brew and liquidctl. No problem accessing lighting controllers.
Code:
% liquidctl --version
liquidctl v1.10.0 (macOS-12.5.1-x86_64-i386-64bit)

% liquidctl list
Device #0: AsusTek Aura LED Controller (experimental)

% liquidctl status
AsusTek Aura LED Controller (experimental)
├── ARGB channels: 2      
└──  RGB channels: 1

If the Hackintosh and iPhone/iPad are connected to the same iCloud/AppleID, then Continuity features are all available.

• Universal Control
  • AirPlay to Mac from iPhone/iPad
  • Sidecar (requires supported Intel iGPU)
  • Continuity Markup and Sketch
  • SMS and Phone calls
  • Continuity Camera
  • Auto Unlock
  • Handoff
  • Universal Clipboard
  • AirDrop
  • Pay (yes, even Pay)
  • Instant Hotspot
We shouldn't need to connect iPhone to Mac directly over Bluetooth.
C

Last edited:
Dear CaseySJ,

Indeed most of the Continuity functions work without a direct connection of an iPhone or iPad to the hackintosh. But I checked universal control, when you want to extent your display as mirror on your iPad you need a Bluetooth connection from your mac to your iPhone or iPad, otherwise this doesn't work and you get an error message.
I use a Fenvi FV-T919 on most of my Hacks, and a Fenvi BCM94360NG on my (a) Asus ROG Strix Z690-i mini-ITX and (b) Gigabyte B550 Vision D (AMD Ryzen CPU). My Designare Z390 has a Fenvi FV-T919.

Universal Control and Sidecar work fine for me. There is no need to establish a manual Bluetooth connection between the Hack and any iOS or iPadOS device. The purpose of "Continuity" is to handle these transactions fully automatically.

Please could you tell me if you use a Fenvi T919? If yes, what kext do you use and are you able to connect an iPhone to your
In Monterey and Ventura, I have disabled all Bluetooth-related kexts. I never attempt to connect my iOS or iPadOS device to any Hackintosh. I've never needed to do that. For giggles, I just tried and it fails.

hackintosh with an established connection means that the Bluetooth menu tells you the devices are connected on Monterey?

In Big Sur I had no problems to do that. In Monterey it doesn't work anymore, but I think this is regarding the new Bluetooth implementation in Monterey. Besides that with the actual setting I could connect a Bose mini Soundlink, which works just fine.
Try disabling all Bluetooth-related kexts in Monterey.

Another example is the Audio Midi Setup on Monterey. When I want to connect a Bluetooth midi device which the iPad is, i can't connect it either.
If you can list all the steps for doing this, I can try it on my own iPad as follows:
  • iPad --> connect to Hack
  • iPad --> connect to 14" Apple Silicon MacBook Pro
Do you have a real Mac that is running Monterey? If so, does the Audio Midi setup work there?

I use a Fenvi FV-T919 on most of my Hacks, and a Fenvi BCM94360NG on my (a) Asus ROG Strix Z690-i mini-ITX and (b) Gigabyte B550 Vision D (AMD Ryzen CPU). My Designare Z390 has a Fenvi FV-T919.

Universal Control and Sidecar work fine for me. There is no need to establish a manual Bluetooth connection between the Hack and any iOS or iPadOS device. The purpose of "Continuity" is to handle these transactions fully automatically.

In Monterey and Ventura, I have disabled all Bluetooth-related kexts. I never attempt to connect my iOS or iPadOS device to any Hackintosh. I've never needed to do that. For giggles, I just tried and it fails.

If you can list all the steps for doing this, I can try it on my own iPad as follows:
Do you have a real Mac that is running Monterey? If so, does the Audio Midi setup work there?

Thanks for your message. Both worked on the hackintosh on Big Sur (Connect iPhone/iPad ober Bluetooth and midi over Bluetooth). I have no real Mac with the possibility to install Monterey to test. But on Big Sur on the hackintosh the BCM94360 showed properly as well under Bluetooth in system preferences with all settings like low energy support und supported apple driver, etc. And in network settings there was a Bluetooth PAN available in Big Sur which is as well not available It seems like Bluetooth implementation is not yet fully supported or perhaps not supported as well in the future. At least for this card.

Please see here:

It seems like the hardware id could be injected when changing the info.plist of Brcmbluetoothinjector.kext. Any id how to find the hardware id of the Fenvi meaning of BCM94360CD?

Edit: Seems like a problem which appears as well on real macs. Can‘t send the link here.

Last edited:
Thanks for your message. Both worked on the hackintosh on Big Sur (Connect iPhone/iPad ober Bluetooth and midi over Bluetooth). I have no real Mac with the possibility to install Monterey to test. But on Big Sur on the hackintosh the BCM94360 showed properly as well under Bluetooth in system preferences with all settings like low energy support und supported apple driver, etc. And in network settings there was a Bluetooth PAN available in Big Sur which is as well not available It seems like Bluetooth implementation is not yet fully supported or perhaps not supported as well in the future. At least for this card.

Please see here:

It seems like the hardware id could be injected when changing the info.plist of Brcmbluetoothinjector.kext. Any id how to find the hardware id of the Fenvi meaning of BCM94360CD?

Edit: Seems like a problem which appears as well on real macs. Can‘t send the link here.
I just tried manually pairing my iPhone 13 Pro Max with my 14" Apple Silicon MacBook Pro (Monterey 12.5.1).

Result: The Bluetooth connection seems to work for a moment, then breaks. And all subsequent attempts to re-connect also fail.

I'd just assumed that sleep was going to cause problems for my system because of past problems with freezing on real Macs. Just for laughs, I've started using the sleep function and it works great. No runaway processes, etc., with Monterey on the Z390 and Mojave on the Z370. I'm using the Fenvi HB-1200M on both of my builds.

I just tried manually pairing my iPhone 13 Pro Max with my 14" Apple Silicon MacBook Pro (Monterey 12.5.1).

Result: The Bluetooth connection seems to work for a moment, then breaks. And all subsequent attempts to re-connect also fail.
Exactly the same behaviour as on my hackintosh. In Big Sur this was working all fine, so for me thats a bug…Thank you very much for testing it CaseySJ

Exactly the same behaviour as on my hackintosh. In Big Sur this was working all fine, so for me thats a bug…Thank you very much for testing it CaseySJ
I see the same. Plus, runaway BT task after sleep. Some stuff works though, I receive calls etc on my hack, I can Airdrop if I switch BT on.
Messy.

Just booted Monterey, updated brew and liquidctl. No problem accessing lighting controllers.
Code:
% liquidctl --version
liquidctl v1.10.0 (macOS-12.5.1-x86_64-i386-64bit)

% liquidctl list
Device #0: AsusTek Aura LED Controller (experimental)

% liquidctl status
AsusTek Aura LED Controller (experimental)
├── ARGB channels: 2     
└──  RGB channels: 1
Thank you @CaseySJ

I have just checked again and everything is up to date. Just checking now and I noticed it can now see my NZXT Device however not the Gigabyte RGB Fusion device.

I HAVE JUST WORKED IT OUT!!!!

It is the OpenRGB Software that is stopping it from working and has been this all along. I just QUIT the OpenRGB software and now Liquidctl discovers and initialises both my devices. The reason Liquidctl initialised the NZXT device before is that OpenRGB missed it during it'd Device scan on startup. I can't believe its been this all along.

Thank you for you help all the same :)

What's the best way to resize the EFI partition in Monterey, now that emptying the trash and moving the EFI backup folder for HackinDROM is no longer enough?

Back