Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I bought a Cable Matters 2.5 GbE adaper to connect to a 10 GbE NAS. Works fine(indeed 2.5 times as fast as GbE) when connected to a normal USB3 port, but it isn't seen at all when connected to one of the TB3/USB-C ports.

Why wouldn't this work?
Huge CPU hit BTW, especially when reading from NAS.

I bought a Cable Matters 2.5 GbE adaper to connect to a 10 GbE NAS. Works fine(indeed 2.5 times as fast as GbE) when connected to a normal USB3 port, but it isn't seen at all when connected to one of the TB3/USB-C ports.

Why wouldn't this work?
It does work over USB-C. No idea why it didn't when I first tried. But the heavy CPU load remains, not surprisingly.

Hello!
I have Z390 Designare + I9 9900K + RX580.
@CaseySJ Using your previous guide I installed successfully Mojave with Clover.
I didn't hassle updating to open core and newer macOS.
So...I tried now to do a fresh install with OpenCore 0.80 and the latest Monterey.
I did the setup with the Opencore Guide....install finished but when I boot into Monterey it freezes after 1 min max...screen blacks out and restarts.
I need some help please and/or a premade EFI to try out if possible.
damn every time it gets harder and harder hahaha!

6800XT has a 300W power draw right.. and you need 1000W?
I know it’s too much. Don’t need it probably but it’s future proof since it has a 5 or even 10 year warranty period. Even the current one that blew up has 5 year warranty which I’m selling once it’s fixed.

@CaseySJ
Bios I use is F9i and I attach the EFI I created!

Attachments

• MONTEREY - EFI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 32
@CaseySJ
Bios I use is F9i and I attach the EFI I created!
Don't forget to do :

Huge CPU hit BTW, especially when reading from NAS.

From what I've read in posts at a MacRumors forum and Github, the CPU hit depends on which driver macOS uses - there are [at least] two flavors: one ending in .ncm and the other in .ecm; which one is used depends on the adapter's chipset. If I recall correctly, .ncm is newer and reduces CPU load by letting the adapter chipset do more work. It's included in Monterey and I think in Big Sur too.

As I reported in a recent post here, I've had success with the D-Link DUB-E250 and my i9-9900k hackintosh, which uses the driver com.apple.driver.usb.cdc.ncm. (see screen grab).

It seems to work fine both with the ULN-8 and with an internet connection (through two Gigabit Ethernet switches). That said, I haven't tried to push a lot of data through it; IIRC, I recorded only two inputs through the ULN at 96/24.

I don't know how to gauge CPU load, and Metric Halo told me there's no simple way. But I'm seeing only tiny amounts of CPU activity in Activity Monitor and iStat Menus GUIs while using the ULN-8 through the adapter.

Bottom line: if your adapter uses the .ecm driver, consider trying one that uses .ncm.

i9-9900k
Open Core 0.8.0 (via HackinDROM)
Monterey 12.3.1

Attachments

• Sys-Report-Ethernet-driver.png
    Sys-Report-Ethernet-driver.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 31
If you have a USB C to USB A cable, please try that. If the SSL 2+ is bus powered, then it may or may not work on a USB A port. But if it has its own power plug then it should work.

To enable USB 2 protocol on one of the Thunderbolt ports I can provide a modified USB SSDT (soon).

UPDATE:
  • To enable USB 2 devices on the Thunderbolt/USB-C port closest to HDMI port, please use the attached SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V8-HS08.aml as follows:
    • Copy the file to OC/ACPI folder
    • Add an entry in config.plist --> ACPI section
    • Disable the existing entry for SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml
View attachment 545110

This diagram shows which USB 2.0 port will be DISABLED (HS03) and which one will be ENABLED (HS08):

View attachment 545108

thanks a lot, but this doesn't make sense cause im not such a hackingtosh expert. Maybe i have old clover or my files are different? I did this hack 2-3 years ago. can you help me please? thanks a lot

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-23 at 16.02.03.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-23 at 16.02.03.png
    814.7 KB · Views: 30
thanks a lot, but this doesn't make sense cause im not such a hackingtosh expert. Maybe i have old clover or my files are different? I did this hack 2-3 years ago. can you help me please? thanks a lot
If you have Clover then it's a bit easier to replace the SSDT, as follows:
  • Move the file SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml to a different folder such as Documents and then delete it from the CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder.
  • Copy the new file SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V8-HS08.aml into the same CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder and reboot

Back