Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Do you think it would be easier if i buy a PCi thunderbolt card ?
If you still have your old GPU or another one which is supported by Catalina then put it back, install Catalina back and check if TB still works

If you still have your old GPU or another one which is supported by Catalina then put it back, install Catalina back and check if TB still works
Unfortunately not :(

I am using Ultrafine 5K monitors. Hot Plug working well in Z390 Designare. but Not in this board X299 EX Designare. Monitor is on but No USB functionalities like camera, audio, brightness control. Z390 board works well with it after hot-plug applied. The thing I want to have hot plug working in this board is about after sleep/wake. After wake from sleep, all the USB functions not working like I told. I used Z370 with Alpine ridge and Z390 Designare with SSDT. And those boards were working fine with the monitors USB functions after sleep/wake. Only cold boot in X299 board, makes USB functions back.
Did you ever figure this out?

After two years, i've never managed to get TB properly working.

@CaseySJ I think that the SSDT for the X299 Designare EX might need some more work. Would love to help if possible. Also, what firmware would I use, if I were to try and flash the card?

Last edited:
Did you ever figure this out?

After two years, i've never managed to get TB properly working.

@CaseySJ I think that the SSDT for the X299 Designare EX might need some more work. Would love to help if possible. Also, what firmware would I use, if I were to try and flash the card?
Are you using the GC-Titan Ridge card? If so, NVM33 is a good option.

Are you using the GC-Titan Ridge card? If so, NVM33 is a good option.
No, I'm still just trying to get the the onboard Alpine Ridge JHL6540 controller working.

Honestly, I don't even need HP to work. I just need my devices (OWC TB3 dock & G-RAID) to stay connected reliably, especially after wake.

I am also keen on determining what the culprit might be. My system has a 6800 XT. In addition, the following apps have installed their own drivers:
  • Paragon NTFS for Mac
  • SoftRAID 6.x
  • Parallels 7.x
I don't use any of these on my end, I don't think the problem comes from external drivers, especially since I experienced the same problem on a fresh install.

Doesn't look like its a GPU-specific problem either, since Navi and BigNavi both seem to have the same problem.

I've gone through WE's configs, but I couldn't find something specific that seemed off. Do you have any ideas of what settings I should play around with? It's really strange because HW acceleration is definitely working for some features (like scrolling & zooming). Seems like it's some metal-related performance issues, as my metal score went down by ~10k pts after updating.

No, I'm still just trying to get the the onboard Alpine Ridge JHL6540 controller working.

Honestly, I don't even need HP to work. I just need my devices (OWC TB3 dock & G-RAID) to stay connected reliably, especially after wake.
I don't recommend flashing Alpine Ridge cards because that doesn't seem to improve reliability. Some questions:
  • Which SSDT are you using now?
    • A simple one that just enables hot plug?
    • A complex one that also enables Thunderbolt Bus?
  • Do the OWC TB3 dock and G-RAID drive connect and work when Thunderbolt Bus is not enabled?
  • After a wake-from-sleep, what exactly happens?
    • Does the OWC Dock reappear in IORegistryExplorer?
    • Does the G-RAID reappear in IORegistryExplorer?
  • If only the drives disconnect after wake-from-sleep, have you considered trying something like the Jettison app from St. Claire Software?

I don't recommend flashing Alpine Ridge cards because that doesn't seem to improve reliability. Some questions:
  • Which SSDT are you using now?
    • A simple one that just enables hot plug?
    • A complex one that also enables Thunderbolt Bus?
  • Do the OWC TB3 dock and G-RAID drive connect and work when Thunderbolt Bus is not enabled?
  • After a wake-from-sleep, what exactly happens?
    • Does the OWC Dock reappear in IORegistryExplorer?
    • Does the G-RAID reappear in IORegistryExplorer?
  • If only the drives disconnect after wake-from-sleep, have you considered trying something like the Jettison app from St. Claire Software?

I don't know what the different is between Thunderbolt Bus enabled vs just hot plug, sorry.

Regardless, adding SSDT's doesn't make any difference on my system. It doesn't add hotplug or help with stability in any way (that I can tell). Results have been the same for every SSDT I've tried, which includes SSDT-TB3-Designare-X299-EX.aml you provided on March 16, 2021, and March 15th, 2021, and SSDT-TbtOnPch-Designare-X299-EX.aml from May 13th 2020.

I'm actually not even using any SSDT's at the moment, all I have are a couple of ACPI hotpatches, which seem to be helping with sleep/wake stability. Without these the TB3/USB-C devices will eject during sleep/wake:
  • _E23 to XE23
  • RP05 --> _INI() to RP05 --> XINI()

Here's what I'm experiencing with the above patches:
  • Booting inconsistent (random KP’s during boot)
  • TB and/or USB-C devices plugged in during boot show up in macOS
  • TB3 & USB-C devices are not hot-pluggable. Once disconnected, they will not re-appear
  • Sleep/wake occasionally KP’s
  • OWC & G-RAID appear in IORegistryExplorer, but I think the device might be broken (image attached)
  • G-RAID does not show up in System Information
  • USB devices connected to OWC dock can send wake events, despite my GPRW patch
  • OWC Dock can be daisy-chained to G-RAID, but not the other way around
  • Slow USB3 speeds on OWC dock

Note: I've also tried using TbtForcePower.efi & ThunderboltReset.kext, but they don't make any difference.

I'm attaching the IOReg & a few screenshots, hope that helps.

Thank you

Attachments

• HackPro_IOReg.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 6.50.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 6.50.57 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 6.49.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 6.49.17 AM.png
    788.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 6.38.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 6.38.01 AM.png