Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks Feartech, Changed it.. now getting these:

check your config.plist with the sample:

add/remove the new bits as required

always run ocvalidate on your config.plist to make sure of no errors before trying to boot from it

@Feartech ocvalidate really is the best tool package. It saved my butt a while back when the parameters for ACPI/Patch changed but I had just copied and pasted my old Patch in.

I find OCConfigCompare to be the best tool to compare your own config.plist to the sample.plist provided with each release - it will even go and download the latest sample.plist if you don't have it to hand.

Hello everyone. I've gone down a rabbit hole trying to run diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`from Terminal in Big Sur. The +/- option is greyed out no matter the admin account I'm using:

What?.png

Ya, correct re the boards. I have too many and Gigabyte nomenclature is confusing. My board of interest is the Z390 Designare (the Z490 Vision D was the follow on and I have that too).

For starters:
Since first read of the Intel Thunderbolt™ Networking Bridging and Routing Instructional White Paper 2014, my goal has been to provide an update based on the obvious changes in TB3 and the coming of TB4 (esp the TB4 Hub) as it pertains to Thunderbolt Networking. IMHO this is one of the most overlooked capabilities of TB3.

So my question:
In my 'Thunderbolt Networking' lab I used a TB4 Hub to see what I could get for TB3 Networking when connecting to TB3 ports on Win and MacOS but mostly Win (as I've noted failures in TB3 Networking via my M1Mini). To my surprise the one board that does not recognize (in Win) the TB4 Hub is the GB Z390 Designare. The firmware provided by GB is NVM33 only.

I can use the hub successfully to TB3 Network multiple Z390 boards via Titan Ridge NVM50. So the natural thought is the NVM33 is doing something the TB4 Hub doesn't like (or vice versa). BTW the Hub DOES like the Z490 Vision D.

So I'd like to upgrade the TB3 firmware on the Z390 Designare to NVM50 (which it appears you have done).
1. I've done firmware flashing before on stand alone EPROMS so I get flashing
2. I have not done it on a chip on the motherboard
3. Hence I would like to be pointed to step by step instructions with images to flash the Designare to NVM50.
4. Seems like it would also be a good idea to save the original firmware on the Designare (although I know that GB provides the software to flash it to NVM33)

I've done a bit of work re the Thunderbolt Networking project alluded to above. For me, one of the biggest features of TB3 is TB Networking (for fast peer to peer networking). I'd rather that Intel do it but you have to be an anointed Intel TB Developer to get to key docs and no one including Intel really discusses TB Networking. I won't get into details here unless the forum would like that knowledge from my own testing.

BTW, Win 10 at one point in time was the fly in the ointment for TB3 functionality. That seems to be be resolved/resolving with the Win Insider Dev releases quickly (again no one discusses it).

Thanks for the opportunity to post.
LF
Can a TB4 hub be used to connect multiple hosts together? Can they all see each other in Thunderbolt networking?

Previously with TB3, you could only connect two hosts together since there was no branching in the Thunderbolt chain. Oh wait, is that even true? A TB3 Mac has multiple Thunderbolt ports so more than one host can be connected to a single/primary host - but can the other two hosts see each other through the primary host?

Linux has code for TB3 networking. It won't help with macOS unless you plan to replace all macOS Thunderbolt drivers.

I believe TB3 networking uses the same kind of transfers (Thunderbolt DMA) that is used for Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode. I'm not sure how Thunderbolt Target Display Mode works - it might be similar or it might be something weird that somehow is able to send DisplayPort input from one host to another - the way to test that is to see if the target iMac display is connected to the GPU of the source host.

Sorry, have been away on vacation, looks like I've missed a lot here over the last few days!

So it definitely "feels" faster, but I can't give you something concrete. I really wasn't expecting much with the early version of the drivers, but I would say that performance is better. If you give me a specific encoding scenario, I can give it a whirl. I'm interested to see if I get any benefit from using the RVII as eGPU with the 6900, or just dedicate that to my laptop.
For the first time, I've setup a separate drive to test out the public beta's. This way I can check performance with Premiere with the upcoming releases.
When you have a chance could you post your Geekbench metal/opencl scores? And if you use resolve could you post your resolve "Candle Bench" score? Thanks!

Hello all. I did a fresh install of Catalina using the Micro-Guide: Installing Catalina Using OpenCore
Since install most things seem to be okay until I do a restart or let the screen go to sleep. If either of these happen, my screen goes on and of almost rhythmically & my cursor goes to the upper left corner of the screen if I’m not moving it. If I shutdown and boot back up, the issue doesn’t happen unless I restart or if my screen sleeps.

2nd thing is when I open OpenCore Configurator, I tells me my boot loader is outdated. I attached some screenshots and my config.

Thanks for all you all do here.
Also my platforminfo is empty, should I just enter it manually and save my config? F9g bios
Hi anyone have any suggestions for me to fix at least the blinking screen?

Hello everyone. I've gone down a rabbit hole trying to run diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`from Terminal in Big Sur. The +/- option is greyed out no matter the admin account I'm using:

View attachment 521777
Have you tried disabling Gatekeeper in Hackintool or Terminal? I don't know that it will help but its worth a shot.

Can a TB4 hub be used to connect multiple hosts together? Can they all see each other in Thunderbolt networking?

Previously with TB3, you could only connect two hosts together since there was no branching in the Thunderbolt chain. Oh wait, is that even true? A TB3 Mac has multiple Thunderbolt ports so more than one host can be connected to a single/primary host - but can the other two hosts see each other through the primary host?

Linux has code for TB3 networking. It won't help with macOS unless you plan to replace all macOS Thunderbolt drivers.

I believe TB3 networking uses the same kind of transfers (Thunderbolt DMA) that is used for Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode. I'm not sure how Thunderbolt Target Display Mode works - it might be similar or it might be something weird that somehow is able to send DisplayPort input from one host to another - the way to test that is to see if the target iMac display is connected to the GPU of the source host.
@joevt YES with a TB4 Hub you can attach multiple hosts (and using SMB each host can see the other, no chain stuff, like a real hub. TB3 networking is TCP/IP (except you can move data across TB3 cables with no ethernet at all).

Somebody wake up Intel to clue them in on what a big deal this is.

Oh yeah, and you can connect a TB4 hub (maple ridge controller) to a TB3 port and use the hub (no need for a TB4 port)

Another AWESOME update from @CaseySJ and @Inqnuam. 30 seconds to update my test bootable USB. Everything worked perfectly, so after another 30 seconds my boot EFI was updated. Rebooted, reset the NVRAM, and was right back into Big Sur! :clap: Now I'm just waiting for better RX6900XT drivers in the coming Big Sur builds.
Here, here! I have been updating using a text editor after trying OCC and having it screw up my config. But this time I gave HackinDROM a go. I was surprised at how easy it was and pleased that it didn't mangle my non standard config. Thank you @Inqnuam for maintaining this brilliantly simple tool and thanks Casey for hosting the party and keeping it all humming.

Oh yeah, and you can connect a TB4 hub (maple ridge controller) to a TB3 port and use the hub (no need for a TB4 port)
I tested a TB4 hub with a TB3 Mac mini 2018. Works in Big Sur. For Catalina, only devices connected before boot work (seems UEFI has better support than Catalina - makes sense since UEFI has to boot Big Sur).

I only have one other PC with Thunderbolt so I can't test more than two hosts connected together.

Back