Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If you have installed a macOS update recently, simply look for an APPLE folder inside the EFI folder. There you’ll find the Apple firmware file.
1) Doh.

2) Darn. Deleted it last week.

@CaseySJ @Elias64Fr I'm looking to play along. Where are you all finding the Apple Bios firmware? I've been tearing through macOS installers and can't get a hit.
Hi @NorthAmTransAm

another way, that you can find it on other MacOS websites, to have all models firmwares (Non T2 chipped) is to follow theses steps :
Capture d’écran 2021-06-11 à 17.16.59.png
Capture d’écran 2021-06-11 à 16.58.34.png
Capture d’écran 2021-06-11 à 17.00.19.png
Capture d’écran 2021-06-11 à 17.15.47.png

That's all ! :)

Hi @NorthAmTransAm

another way, that you can find it on other MacOS websites, to have all models firmwares (Non T2 chipped) is to follow theses steps :

That's all ! :)

Booyah. Did it both ways.

Now to watch.

Hi Casey, thanks. It always fails on the final boot, the one that would take you to the initlal account setup. I think that's reboot #3 for Big Sur.

I just now reverted back to F9i and I'm going to try again. I'll edit this later on tonight.
Update: Ah ha! All signs point to a problem with BIOS F9k. I flashed back to F9i, installed Mojave, then updated to Catalina, then updated to Big Sur.
Glad to hear it.

Reminder to all: Please do not use BIOS F9k. Instead, use any one of these:

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 11.07.37 AM.png

Hey @CaseySJ
opencore config set to 0.7.0 Release
here's my ACPI screenshot
what do you think boss?
That looks correct.
  • What is the make/model of your Thunderbolt device?
  • When did hot plug stop working?
    • When you installed modified BIOS F9i with latest microcode?
    • When you updated to OpenCore 0.7.0?
  • Do you have other Thunderbolt devices?
    • If so, do they hot plug correctly?

You guys are always having so much fun over here. Glad I stopped in to see what is going on here.

I have the Z390M gaming motherboard with a flashed Titan Ridge card and Apple Thunderbolt Display. The only issue I have is the display doesn't turn on until about halfway through the boot process. Really not that big of deal, but always ready to do some hacking.

I have this is the Apple folder of my EFI. What do I do next? I am running Mojave if it matters. I am loading two SSDTs to enable the TR thunderbolt bus along with using the Z390 Designaire firmware on my TR card.

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 1.17.53 PM.png

You guys are always having so much fun over here. Glad I stopped in to see what is going on here.

I have the Z390M gaming motherboard with a flashed Titan Ridge card and Apple Thunderbolt Display. The only issue I have is the display doesn't turn on until about halfway through the boot process. Really not that big of deal, but always ready to do some hacking.

I have this is the Apple folder of my EFI. What do I do next? I am running Mojave if it matters. I am loading two SSDTs to enable the TR thunderbolt bus along with using the Z390 Designaire firmware on my TR card.
Hello @nottooshabby,

@Elias64Fr is still focused on the Z390 Designare. We will complete the experiment/test process on this motherboard and then decide what to do next. I expect that everyone with a Thunderbolt-capable motherboard will want this BIOS mod, so I need to set the expectation straight right now: Our priority is to perform the experiment only on the Gigabyte Z390 Designare at this time.

Last edited:
So, I have come to conclusion, that HEVC encode in Apple apps is completely broken on dGPU on Big Sur for now... Handbrake works (videotoolbox), but FCPX and quicktime does not :banghead:
Any thoughts? Anyone? Does anybody have HEVC encode on Big Sur?

Back