Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @BOTMT,

It is not necessary to flash the Thunderbolt controller in order to use UAD audio gear. There may be some benefits with flashing, but one should always use the standard non-flashed controller first.
Thank you for your reply, you have done a fantastic job with all of this CaseySJ; VERY much appreciated!

Yeah, so far, so good. I don't have any Thunderbolt displays (yet) to worry about either.

I have an Apollo Twin X and two Satellite OCTOs, and all are working perfectly in LUNA... so far. If anyone has anything for me that I should check to be able to determine 100% functionality, please let me know.

Thanks again all.

My Z390 Hack is up and running, thanks to everyone, especially CaseySJ. I have a few issues, but I'm going to search the thread first and see how many I can knock out on my own first, before I ask about them.

Take care!

Yes we should avoid F9j. @Elias64Fr has created a hybrid BIOS by incorporating the new microcode from F9j into F9i. The hybrid is available here:
View attachment 515979
Oh... Yes, I saw the warning about F9j... which I'm running on. I wanted to try with it as it has Re-sizeable Bar and the latest updates. The issue mentioned with it was USB ports not working from TB 3 (I thought that meant from like a Dock). I'm not using any USBs that way or Docks, just my Universal Audio gear (all TB 3). Are there other issues with F9j? Thank you.

RST / Optane

Ok, I did some looking around, and read a few posts that didn't really address my situation.

My machine is a dual boot Win10 system. One is for my every day use, the other is for my music production. When I installed everything, I did so with the Intel RST Optane drivers. I do not have any Intel Optane drives, I just figured "better to have for future use if needed". This hasn't been a problem, until I tried installing OS X.

Long story short... With RST Optane enabled/selected in BIOS, OS X fails to load. Disabling allows OS X to load, but then Windows fails with the old "Inaccessible Boot Partition". So this is no good.

I don't need RST Optane but have discovered switching back to AHCI is no easy task. I can mess around with BIOS settings and get either of the three OS's working when I need to, but not without a lot of work and hassle.

I WAS able to swap out the RST Optane driver in Windows back to the AHCI driver, and it's persistent through reboots; however, it seems it's still locked to the BIOS setting, so the outcome and situation hasn't changed at all. I also uninstalled the RST software from installations of Win 10, but same issue.

As a "BETA test" of installing and getting Mojave to work on this machine, I installed OS X to a temporary SATA SSD drive. My Sabrent ROCKET NVMe drive just arrived from Amazon, so I can start from scratch, if need be, by installing Mojave to it (actually will be swapping the ROCKET for my Gigabyte NVMe, as evently I want my Gen 4.0 SSDs to go in my new AMD THREADRIPPER 3970X machine when ready). So Mojave will go on the Gigabyte NVMe. I WAS planning on saving a lot of time by just cloning to the new drive, but if I need to install Mojave again from scratch, so be it.

Question: What is the best way to resolve this? I want to get to a system where I have three boot choices, and one BIOS Profile works for all three; Windows 10 A, Windows 10 B, OS X Mojave. The only BIOS setting that isn't compatible with all three for me, is this RST Optane setting. That's the only one I have to change to get into any OS.

I really, really don't want to have to install my two Win 10 installations from scratch. That would be terrible. Is there a way to just get OS X to work with RST Optane enabled instead?

Thanks!

@ralphonz

I can provide a new USB SSDT that enables USB 2 protocol on both Thunderbolt ports. This will let you use the USB-C to USB-C cable.

If your computer has a front panel USB-C port, I can enable USB 2.0 on that as well, but it’s best to try and be of the Thunderbolt ports first.

Will send new SSDT soon.

Update:
  • Temporarily move the file EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched/SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml to the EFI/CLOVER folder.
  • Copy the attached file to the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder.
  • Reboot.
  • And don't worry about the name of the attached file.
  • Then connect SSL UF8 via USB-C to USB-C cable to either of the two Thunderbolt ports.
  • Is the port any more or less stable?
Note that this SSDT prevents USB 2.0 devices from connecting to the two RED USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports on the rear IO panel.
Thanks for this Casey. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have made a difference - USB freeze up after 10-15 mins of running Logic Pro. But at least I know it's not the cable!

Not sure so that's why I posted the CSM bit. If anyone has a different model working please chime in. Amazing they are still making and selling these cards.
Late a bit but I have one that worked fine in Mojave. ASUS gddr5 with 1gb onboard. This old computer (a Dell Optiplex 9020) is now gathering dust. Never had troubles, DRM working, iTunes, etc...

RST / Optane

Isn't Optane dead on the consumer front?

At the top of my Z490 Vision D thread, there is this warning:

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 9.37.41 AM.png

I know this doesn't address your question, but if you are only trying to future-proof your system and do not actually own Optane drives, then my strong recommendation is to abandon Optane altogether. Intel has already abandoned it at the consumer level.

Thanks for this Casey. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have made a difference - USB freeze up after 10-15 mins of running Logic Pro. But at least I know it's not the cable!
Okay the plot thickens...
  • Do you have a real Mac running the same version of Logic Pro? If so, does the problem occur on the real Mac?
  • It might be a good idea to search Logic Pro forums to see if others are experiencing the same problem.
  • Do the USB ports lock up with any other application? Or only when using Logic Pro?

Isn't Optane dead on the consumer front?

At the top of my Z490 Vision D thread, there is this warning:

View attachment 516070

I know this doesn't address your question, but if you are only trying to future-proof your system and do not actually own Optane drives, then my strong recommendation is to abandon Optane altogether. Intel has already abandoned it at the consumer level.
Wow, thanks again CaseySJ; I wasn't looking at the Z490 thread as I'm on a Z390 so thank you very much for pointing this out to me! Didn't know Optane was dead.

UPDATE: See below!

Let this be a warning to all... If you DO install the Optane software/drivers for Windows, from everything I've read so far, there is NO WAY to back out of them and go back to AHCI unless you format and install fresh without them!

OS X will NOT load, even after a complete and successfully working OS X install if Optane is Enabled in BIOS!

If Windows was installed WITH the Optane software/drivers, Windows will NOT load (Inaccessible boot partition) WITHOUT Optane Enabled in BIOS. I WAS able to force the AHCI drivers back, but still does NOT solve the issues.

To check if you have the Optane software/drivers installed, look in Device Manager, Storage controllers:

Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller

In BIOS, the setting is under SATA And RST Configuration, SATA Mode Selection:

Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane System Acceleration

(You want this to be "AHCI" instead.)

There may be a way around this, but I haven't found it yet. Looks like I may need to do a fresh install. :banghead:

UPDATE INFO: No need for me, or anyone else to have to do a re-install!

Easy, SUPPER EASY, fix is here:

Easily change from RST/Optane to AHCI

Last edited:
@Inqnuam, he has the ASRock W480 Creator.

@ckrueger99, a Thunderbolt SSDT is not necessary, but it does enable hot plug. Thunderbolt should be enabled in BIOS along with GPIO3 Force Power if that option exists. If the ASRock BIOS has options to set iGPU to (a) enabled, (b) disabled, and (c) auto, it must be set to (a) enabled (not auto).

We can modify the Thunderbolt SSDT for your motherboard if you post the following:
Hi Casey, Following your suggestion, I added a dGPU (GT 710) which is working great. I would still like to get the iGPU working through the HDMI port. That is my next project for today.
In the meantime, attached is the IORegistryExplorer file, for modifying the Thunderbolt SSDT for my W480 mobo. Thank you so much for the assistance!

Hi Casey, Following your suggestion, I added a dGPU (GT 710) which is working great. I would still like to get the iGPU working through the HDMI port. That is my next project for today.
In the meantime, attached is the IORegistryExplorer file, for modifying the Thunderbolt SSDT for my W480 mobo. Thank you so much for the assistance!
Now you see why I strongly discourage the use of iGPU for driving a display monitor? The iGPU should be set to headless platform ID such as 0x3E980003 (in reverse byte order: 0300983E) so it can be used for compute tasks only.

IOReg file missing.

Back