Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ!

This is going to be my first post on this site since I started hacking way back when so I apologize if I'm not posting correctly but I'm in desperate need of help.

I've been trying to do a fresh install of Catalina on my system for weeks now and have gotten no where. I tried following your guide (Asus X99 Deluxe II) but I just get stuck with a black screen after the mac load screen for the install.

My specs are below:

Motherboard: Asus X99-A Deluxe II
CPU: i7-6950x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse AMD 5700 XT
Memory: 128GB G Skill
Dual Monitors: LG 29WK600-W 29"
NVMe SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 2TB M.2
Asus Hyper M.2 Mini: Samsung 960 EVO 2TB M.2
Asus ThunderboltEX 3 Card
Power Supply: Corsair AX860
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i v2

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I've tried the following:
  • I loaded your exact EFI, Modified BIOS 1802, updated the PlatformInfo parameters, loaded your BIOS 1802 Settings and got the black screen.
  • I've tried using the opencore sanity checker and modifying the config list based on what they recommended to change, same black screen.
  • I've tried different arrangements of Bios settings for any differences in the loads but nothing has changed the outcome.
My previous build was based off of KGP's original Sierra build and ran perfectly for years but trying to move out of the stone age now after my 1080TI card stopped working and nothing is as simple as it used to be.

Any help would be greatly, greatly, greatly appreciated.
Hello @purpose0,

First of all, welcome to the forum. Some questions and suggestions:
  • The modified BIOS 1802 is for the Asus X99 Deluxe II. It may not be prudent to force-install that on anything else. Nevertheless, if you have already done so, then:
    • Are you able to enter BIOS Setup?
    • In BIOS, does it say version 1802?
    • If you have Windows or Linux on this system, do they work okay with the new BIOS?
  • Because you're using an RX 5700 XT, do you have the boot-arg "agdpmod=pikera"?
  • At what point exactly does the system get stuck with a black screen?
    • Do you see the Apple Logo boot process with a progress bar below the Apple logo?
    • Does the progress bar move at least half way across? And the black screen happens afterwards?
    • Or does the black screen occur immediately after the Apple Logo appears?
    • Or does the Apple Logo not even appear?

Today I tried to edit some video for a company training session, and I noticed that the video encoding was no happening at all on my RX 580 GPU:
View attachment 496859

Do I need to configure anything to make it work?
The software I'm using is called Shortcut: https://shotcut.org/

While exporting, it detects 2 hardware encoders, and I'm using the H.264 one:
View attachment 496861

View attachment 496862

Any help is appreciated.
One thing that comes immediately to mind is whether the alphabetical order of the GPUs is causing your application to choose iGPU instead of AMD GPU.

GPU names are present in IORegistryExplorer. If you save the IOReg file (File --> Save As...) and post it here, we can have a look at the names. We can subsequently rename them to see if that makes any difference.

Please use Google Translate. I still cannot understand your posts...
I looked at the disc is recognized in the bios but not in the boot
I installed Big Sur with the windows disk in the machine

if I connect my disk externally I can see my data well, it is possible that the efi is broken?

Can I repair?

I looked at the disc is recognized in the bios but not in the boot
I installed Big Sur with the windows disk in the machine

if I connect my disk externally I can see my data well, it is possible that the efi is broken?

Can I repair?
When you boot macOS, do you see your Windows disk on the desktop? Here is mine (which is called Untitled):

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.50.59 AM.png

When I double-click, I can confirm that this really is Windows:
Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.51.42 AM.png

Hello @purpose0,

First of all, welcome to the forum. Some questions and suggestions:
  • The modified BIOS 1802 is for the Asus X99 Deluxe II. It may not be prudent to force-install that on anything else. Nevertheless, if you have already done so, then:
    • Are you able to enter BIOS Setup?
    • In BIOS, does it say version 1802?
    • If you have Windows or Linux on this system, do they work okay with the new BIOS?
  • Because you're using an RX 5700 XT, do you have the boot-arg "agdpmod=pikera"?
  • At what point exactly does the system get stuck with a black screen?
    • Do you see the Apple Logo boot process with a progress bar below the Apple logo?
    • Does the progress bar move at least half way across? And the black screen happens afterwards?
    • Or does the black screen occur immediately after the Apple Logo appears?
    • Or does the Apple Logo not even appear?
Thank you for the quick reply @CaseySJ!!

Of course I write my motherboard model incorrectly on my very first post, lol. I do indeed have the Asus X99 Deluxe II and the bios shows up correctly. For what its worth I'm able to load Windows no problem.

I should also note this was my first time using the Opencore method and I'm not sure where the boot-arg "agdpmod=pikera" would be applied to. I'm mostly only familiar with adding flags on Clover, could you elaborate a bit on where that should be?

The apple logo appears, the progress bar goes about halfway and then after a minute or 2 it goes straight to a black screen. The progress bar does not complete.

Maintenance wakes are normal but they can be disabled. Please refer to “Consolidated List of Sleep Aids” in Section 4 of the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of post 1.
Thank you and everyone here so so so much !

Thank you for the quick reply @CaseySJ!!

Of course I write my motherboard model incorrectly on my very first post, lol. I do indeed have the Asus X99 Deluxe II and the bios shows up correctly. For what its worth I'm able to load Windows no problem.

I should also note this was my first time using the Opencore method and I'm not sure where the boot-arg "agdpmod=pikera" would be applied to. I'm mostly only familiar with adding flags on Clover, could you elaborate a bit on where that should be?

The apple logo appears, the progress bar goes about halfway and then after a minute or 2 it goes straight to a black screen. The progress bar does not complete.
Okay that's a good sign! Please do this (but note that your boot arguments will be different from this screenshot):
Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 9.03.24 AM.png

When you boot macOS, do you see your Windows disk on the desktop? Here is mine (which is called Untitled):

View attachment 497152

When I double-click, I can confirm that this really is Windows:
View attachment 497153
Yes I see it
but impossible to boot on it he sees a partion in opencore EFi but it reboots on itself

and nothing is seen on boot loader like before

Last edited:
yes ACPI code should look like like this

Code:
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "CASEY", "TBTALPIN", 0x00000000)
{
    External (_SB_.PCI0.RP21, DeviceObj)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.RP21.PXSX, DeviceObj)
    External (DTGP, MethodObj)    // 5 Arguments

If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
    {
}

Have a look at HackinDROM's Thunderbolt SSDTs
Shouldn't all of the *.aml files used with OC include the condition?
Code:
If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
    {
}

Including SSDT-DTPG.aml, SSDT-USBW.aml, SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-UIAC-Vx.aml

Back