Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I can see now Thunderbolt at PCI section, a type c usb stick shown up and running, iPhone charge is ok but he can't see it at Finder, maybe one port of two it isn't so functional.
Also there is no menu at bios for thunderbolt for some reason. I talking for the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Bios F14.
look for Thunderbolt USB support in Bios

Dear @CaseySJ,

I have installed my RX 580 and with AMD config and my icloud registered SMBIOS parameters booted without any problem. I used https://hackindrom.zapto.org/ for copying SMBIOS.

My bios settings are iGPU enabled, and initial graphics output on PCIe 2. (where RX 580)

I am trying to monitor GPU usage via Stats (exelban).

I have tried two setups;
  • RX 580 displayport out connected to MB display in, monitor is connected via Thunderbolt 3 out of MB
  • Monitor is connected to the RX 580 displayport
In both setups, iGPU is not taking any load for PDF rendering etc. All load is covered by RX 580.

Do I have missing some thing ?

Best

I'm getting my Designare up to speed. I switched to OC 0.6.3 but am still on Catalina.

one OC config question: in the guide it says to set this:
  • Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> Disabled (change to Default for OpenIntelWireless)
where is that in OpenCore configurator (or is that a BIOS setting)?

now, I have a strange USB mapping when I open Hackintool. almost all the USB ports are shown in duplicate. screen shot attached. I am using the UIAC ssdt, unmodified, from the download from the CaseySJ OpenCore 0.6.3 guide.

also attached is my config.plist, with SN's removed.

thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.51.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.51.35 AM.png
    231.3 KB · Views: 43
  • config copy.plist.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 42
I can see now Thunderbolt at PCI section, a type c usb stick shown up and running, iPhone charge is ok but he can't see it at Finder, maybe one port of two it isn't so functional.
Also there is no menu at bios for thunderbolt for some reason. I talking for the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Bios F14.
@Inqnuam has done an absolutely wonderful service to the Hackintosh community by creating HackinDROM. So let's treat that as a self-service counter, as follows:
  • Point your browser to: https://hackindrom.zapto.org/
  • From the dropdown list at the top left, select Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge v1 or v2
  • Click the Search button to the right
  • Search: RP21
  • Replace: RP23
  • Then click All to replace all instances of RP21 with RP23
  • Now click the Compile button
  • Then you will see a new button called Download. Click on that and download the SSDT to your Downloads folder
  • Replace the previous SSDT with the newly downloaded one (this will also fix the iPhone connection problem)
Also remember that the GC-Titan Ridge must be connected to motherboard's THB_C header via the supplied Thunderbolt header cable. Then you should see Thunderbolt options in BIOS Setup.

Dear @CaseySJ,

I have installed my RX 580 and with AMD config and my icloud registered SMBIOS parameters booted without any problem. I used https://hackindrom.zapto.org/ for copying SMBIOS.

My bios settings are iGPU enabled, and initial graphics output on PCIe 2. (where RX 580)

I am trying to monitor GPU usage via Stats (exelban).

I have tried two setups;
  • RX 580 displayport out connected to MB display in, monitor is connected via Thunderbolt 3 out of MB
  • Monitor is connected to the RX 580 displayport
In both setups, iGPU is not taking any load for PDF rendering etc. All load is covered by RX 580.

Do I have missing some thing ?

Best
iGPU load can be difficult to monitor. We generally use Intel Power Gadget. Nevertheless, it's better to prioritize the AMD RX 580 over the iGPU because the AMD GPU is faster in nearly all common tasks.

Last edited:
I'm getting my Designare up to speed. I switched to OC 0.6.3 but am still on Catalina.

one OC config question: in the guide it says to set this:
  • Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> Disabled (change to Default for OpenIntelWireless)
where is that in OpenCore configurator (or is that a BIOS setting)?
That's like asking, "Who's buried in Grant's tomb?" The answer is already present in the question! :) I've highlighted the answer in red boldface.

now, I have a strange USB mapping when I open Hackintool. almost all the USB ports are shown in duplicate. screen shot attached. I am using the UIAC ssdt, unmodified, from the download from the CaseySJ OpenCore 0.6.3 guide.
In Hackintoool's USB section, click the Broom to clear the list, then the Refresh icon.
Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 6.10.29 AM.png

Last edited:
That's like asking, "Who's buried in Grant's tomb?" The answer is already present in the question! :) I've highlighted the answer in red boldface.

In Hackintoool's USB section, click the Broom to clear the list, then the Refresh icon.
View attachment 497108
ok. I'm red-faced (maybe even red bold-faced). I swear I looked several times everywhere in OC configurator and couldn't find a Misc tab. of course it was hiding in plain sight.

and the answer is: Grant AND his wife.

thanks!!

Hi @CaseySJ!

This is going to be my first post on this site since I started hacking way back when so I apologize if I'm not posting correctly but I'm in desperate need of help.

I've been trying to do a fresh install of Catalina on my system for weeks now and have gotten no where. I tried following your guide (Asus X99 Deluxe II) but I just get stuck with a black screen after the mac load screen for the install.

My specs are below:

Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe II
CPU: i7-6950x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse AMD 5700 XT
Memory: 128GB G Skill
Dual Monitors: LG 29WK600-W 29"
NVMe SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 2TB M.2
Asus Hyper M.2 Mini: Samsung 960 EVO 2TB M.2
Asus ThunderboltEX 3 Card
Power Supply: Corsair AX860
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i v2

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I've tried the following:
  • I loaded your exact EFI, Modified BIOS 1802, updated the PlatformInfo parameters, loaded your BIOS 1802 Settings and got the black screen.
  • I've tried using the opencore sanity checker and modifying the config list based on what they recommended to change, same black screen.
  • I've tried different arrangements of Bios settings for any differences in the loads but nothing has changed the outcome.
My previous build was based off of KGP's original Sierra build and ran perfectly for years but trying to move out of the stone age now after my 1080TI card stopped working and nothing is as simple as it used to be.

Any help would be greatly, greatly, greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back