Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ i tried to use my previous eGPU (ADT-Link R43SG-TB3) and here is the same thing, the GPU doesn't get recognized.
The good thing on the ADT-Link is, i can use the end-part as nvme storage case/connection.
So i plugged in my nvme ssd and than i got this error message on hot-plug
View attachment 492624

Cold-boot doesnt work and i dont get this message, only at hot-plug.

This even doesnt appear when i plug one of my eGPU's (Razer Core X and ADT-Link R43SG-TB3)

Edit: I checked on Windows if there my eGPU get recognized, same thing, before that firmware flash it worked on windows 10.

Edit2: I uploaded the ioreg with the original firmware and plugged in egpu (cold-boot).
Flashing the controller does not guarantee success. Different motherboards react differently. To a large degree the behavior we see is the best we can realistically expect. However, it is possible to “cross-pollinate” by flashing the Designare Z390’s NVM 33 into your controller. If the situation does not improve, simply restore the original firmware.

Flashing the controller does not guarantee success. Different motherboards react differently. To a large degree the behavior we see is the best we can realistically expect. However, it is possible to “cross-pollinate” by flashing the Designare Z390’s NVM 33 into your controller. If the situation does not improve, simply restore the original firmware.
Okay thank you very much, i tried to flash the designare firmware and the internal thunderbolt hardware is not recognized.
Maybe i have to give up on this :yawn:

It would be best to perform a clean installation on a spare SATA SSD mounted in an external USB 3 enclosure or internally to an available SATA port.
@CaseySJ - quick one - if I try a clean install of Catalina or BigSur beta on to an external USB3.1 disk, do I need to copy over the System Serial, System UUID, MLB from my current Catalina install or does OC generate new ones? I didn't know if you can get a clash with more than one 'install' of OSX running the same serials?

@CaseySJ - quick one - if I try a clean install of Catalina or BigSur beta on to an external USB3.1 disk, do I need to copy over the System Serial, System UUID, MLB from my current Catalina install or does OC generate new ones? I didn't know if you can get a clash with more than one 'install' of OSX running the same serials?

No, you don't need new S/N etc, your current ones will be fine.

No, you don't need new S/N etc, your current ones will be fine.
Great thanks - I just didn't want to cause a clash. Just need to test out a clean instal on a separate disk to try OpenCore and see if I can move away from Clover. So just copy all my existing over in to the new OC config.plist. Thanks.

Yes, please check the attachments. I would much appreciate it. I am currently using Clover (OpenCore works too but the EC SSDTs has some problems, which cause a little laggy experience compared to Clover) and remove the SMbios info in the EFI.zip.
Alright, please try the following two different experiments.

Experiment #1:
  • Flash the attached Alienware-M15-TB3-FW-MOD-4-Casey.bin to the Thunderbolt firmware chip.
  • Use the same Thunderbolt SSDT from the previous test (SSDT-TB-HackinDROM.aml).
  • Perform a cold boot with and without TB3 device connected. Check hot-plug as well.
  • Do your Thunderbolt devices connect and operate?
  • If problems persist, try the next experiment.
Experiment #2:
  • Flash the original Thunderbolt firmware back to the chip.
  • We will use an SSDT to enable Thunderbolt Bus. This SSDT requires the original Thunderbolt firmware.
  • Download the new SSDT: SSDT-TbtOnPch-Alientware-M15.aml
  • Copy it to the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder and remove any previous Thunderbolt SSDT.
  • Copy the attached config.plist to the CLOVER folder. This version simply adds a new ACPI rename, which you may disable if the experiment fails. Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 10.25.17 AM.png
  • Perform a cold boot with and without TB3 device connected. Check hot-plug as well.
  • Do your Thunderbolt devices connect and operate?

Attachments

• Alienware-M15-TB3-FW-MOD-4-Casey.bin.zip
    108.9 KB · Views: 36
  • config.plist
    19.5 KB · Views: 38
  • SSDT-TbtOnPch-Alienware-M15.aml
    4.8 KB · Views: 39
Okay thank you very much, i tried to flash the designare firmware and the internal thunderbolt hardware is not recognized.
Maybe i have to give up on this :yawn:
I know it can be frustrating, but eGPUs are among the most complex Thunderbolt devices. Simpler Thunderbolt devices may work.

if we flash the thunderbold firmware of the gigabyte designare can we put an imac 2011 as a monitor
This might work. You're referring to Target Display Mode.

1. Love the guide! This is friggin awesome. I was hoping to get hardware acceleration going but I dont know where to start. Is there a guide relating to hardware acceleration?

2. how can I minimized boot time?

3. I have a flashed Titan Ridge thunderbolt 3 card installed, It is registering as a TB card but it is limited to 20 Gb/s. Any suggestions?

Back