Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Off topic... since testing and using open core my Logic Pro scans audio units each time I start it up. I have removed the audio cache file after ggogling and it rebuilds on first load, it still checks audio units on every startup.. is it possible my permissions got hosed???
IDK. It's only doing that to me in Logic, and only with Waves plugins. Let's both run the diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u` command and see if it still occurs. I'll edit this in a couple minutes.
Update: Logic X is still scanning 74 Waves plugins on launch. It's probably an "old Waves plugins" issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: z4k
I've been going straight from interface to speakers for 20 years now. No problems, better sound.

Soundwise your Mackie is probably the weakest link in your chain. I would definitely test with and without the Mackie, and see if you can hear a difference. Also depends on your monitors of course, if you have something like $200 KRK's then don't bother.
IMO, the whole audio chain should be balanced quality wise, eg getting a Benchmark DAC to drive your Apple earbuds is not a smart idea.

I've always considered the musician's performance to be the weakest link. Next up is the quality of the instrument.
Using a Mackie as a return mixer has never been a problem for me. It's not a source or summing mixer. If I hadn't said anything about it, no one would even know that I've been using it since 2000. I'm using the returns, not the EQ or the Pre's. I'm not an earbud or bluetooth guy. My room treatment is squared away, my signal chain is quite responsible and minimal. Most importantly my musicianship and other skills are squared away. Thanks for thinking about it, though.
I probably should have just said that I had a Neve 8424 going through $250 KRK's... :lol:
Meanwhile... Let's get this Z390 thread back on track: Grab F9H and disable CFG Lock in BIOS. Then we can move to OpenCore 0.6.1.

Attachments

• Thanks for thinking about it.png
    Thanks for thinking about it.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 45
I'm probably one of the 5 people left on this planet that does not have a Netflix subscription! :) So let me put the question out to others:

If you're a Netflix subscriber, is it working for you on Safari and the TV app with iMac19,1 and platform ID 0x3E980003 (headless)?
Netflix works perfectly for me using safari and the settings above.

So, if I'm running an iMP profile (no iGPU, dGPU only) what should I put in the Config<DeviceProperties<PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)<AAPL,ig-platform-id and <framebuffer-patch-enable ?? – or should I delete the entire "PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)" child?
Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 12.30.14 AM.png

Anybody using succesfully an Asus dual rx580?

I thought about doing it on mine, running both of them in compute mode. IDK whether they'll only run at x8 instead of one at x16 (slot 1 on my Z390). I could find out more, but I can't move forward until my id-platform question is answered.

Yes I meant IORegistryExplorer.app. I see now that wasn't sufficient and apologize for not using pcitree.sh as you asked. I have a readout here, hope this helps: View attachment 487228
Your motherboard's Thunderbolt controller has root port #6 (00:1c.4) and Thunderbolt controller upstream (48) correctly set to g3x4 (PCIe 3.0 x4).

The downstream bridges for the Thunderbolt embedded devices (NHI at 4b with parent downstream at 49:00 and hidden XHC at 4a with parent downstream at 49:02) are g1x4 as expected for Thunderbolt embedded devices (not real PCIe devices).

I see the four NVMe sticks (75-78) are connected as g3x1 as expected to their parent Thunderbolt downstream bridges (74:00 - 74:03).

The upstream bridge of the Thunderbolt controller of the OWC device (73:00.0) is only connected as g1x4 instead of g3x4. If that were true, then I would expect something more like ~750 MB/s. 900 MB/s is a little bit too good for g1x4 (which is theoretically 1000 MB/s - but that's with no overhead).

Compare pcitree.sh result between Mac and Hackintosh to see the difference.

Maybe there's a problem in the flashed firmware that is causing this?

As a temporary fix, maybe you can apply the fast.sh script (use speed 3) to the parent bridge that the OWC is connected to (49:01.0) which is the Thunderbolt downstream bridge for the first Thunderbolt port of your motherboard's Thunderbolt controller.
Code:
sudo ./fast.sh 3 49:01.0
sudo ./pcitree.sh > pcitree.txt

After update from Opencore 0.6.0 to Opencore 0.6.1, the sound output via the external 4K LG monitor, which is connected via Displayport, is missing. I've had that before.
The sound output is also not grayed out in the sound settings in the menu bar.
But if I unplug the Displayport cable and plug it in again, the sound output will appear until the next restart.
Is there a solution for this?

After update from Opencore 0.6.0 to Opencore 0.6.1, the sound output via the external 4K LG monitor, which is connected via Displayport, is missing. I've had that before.
The sound output is also not grayed out in the sound settings in the menu bar.
But if I unplug the Displayport cable and plug it in again, the sound output will appear until the next restart.
Is there a solution for this?

I have exactly the same issue with OC .0.6.0 haven't tried yet 0.6.1

Meanwhile... Let's get this Z390 thread back on track: Grab F9H and disable CFG Lock in BIOS. Then we can move to OpenCore 0.6.1.
Several problems were reported with F9h so F9g is preferred. CFG-Lock is disabled by default in both F9g and F9h. A download link for F9g appears near the top of the Quick Reference spoiler in Post 1.

Back