Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm the guy who is also using the Fractal Design Define R6 Black. I would recommend the version with USB-C 3.1 Gen2. Some retailers sell this combination directly, otherwise you can get the Fractal Design Connect D1.

Thanks! I got the one with the USB-C 3.1 plug, don't know if it's Gen1 or 2. But I'm guessing the one with USB-C will be the Fractal R6 Gen2?

I was about to hit the pay button for doing this exact build, to realise that there was no more Phanteks Evolv X case available in my country, or with 4-5 weeks delay.
I was wondering if there were good alternatives, and how much they would modify the installation and hack.

Update:

I've been recommended the Fractal R6 by a shop clerk, and discovered that a user also did the SSDTs for this one, so my order is on the way. Hopefully the build and hack will be painless.
You just might have the smoothest experience of anyone so far, but in this endeavor one has to expect the unexpected. However, I think we have captured and incorporated the lessons learned from enough people to ensure that subsequent installations are frustration free.

The USB SSDT for the Fractal R6 is posted in the build guide (details in Contributed Files and Tips).

That's the one I have, but without the tampered glass. It's a solid case with a lot of flexibility. My build currently has a M.2 PCIe SSD (macOS, M2P slot), one 2.5" SATA SSD (Win10) and four 3.5" drives.

CaseySJ, thanks for this wonderful guide.
One question, should I use the M2M or the M2P slot? I understand some have problem installing the OS on the M2P slot. I would like to install the Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 into the M2P slot.

I think starting fresh is a good Idea, I also did that and my machine after some headaches needs only some minor fine tuning here and there now.

On a side note I had a third hd with windows just for information the drive wasn't booting if someone has problems I just ran the windows repair and it worked again.

@CaseySJ I think this is really a golden build, I was also able to connect my server mac pro via the second lan port, it all runs smooth, I'll check everything this weekend, audio programs and video editing, I'm installing drivers.
@xanderevo Please let me know what you are using for video editing -- and how it all works out. I'm doing clean install tomorrow.

@ndrik I used this case. It has panel mount USB-3 but I lost the two USB-2 due to Bluetooth board internally. I'm also going to order a USB C breakout cable for MB.
Jules

CaseySJ, thanks for this wonderful guide.
One question, should I use the M2M or the M2P slot? I understand some have problem installing the OS on the M2P slot. I would like to install the Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 into the M2P slot.
You can safely use either of the two M.2 slots. As explained in the Gigabyte manual, these slots share bandwidth with some of the SATA ports. M2M is shared with SATA4/5 and M2P with SATA0/1. So if you’re also connecting internal SATA drives, please refer to the table in the manual. SATA2/3 (the two in the middle) are not affected by M.2 cards so my preference is to use them first.

How does your HW Monitor Menu look like? Mine is pretty empty with the latest rehabman Version of fakesmc and sensors...

How does your HW Monitor Menu look like? Mine is pretty empty with the latest rehabman Version of fakesmc and sensors...
I'm using KGP's version of FakeSMC that also happens to be compatible with iStat Menus. Attached are screenshots from iStat and HWMonitor.
iStat Menus.png HW Monitor.png

Back