Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Unfortunately no change to USB stability. It's very variable - sometimes the system will run perfectly for several hours, and then other times USB will freeze within a few minutes of a restart, and that will happen repeatedly. I did calculate my KASLR value to see if that would make a difference, but it hasn't. The only other difference I might have from other builds is that I have 4x32Gb RAM - hence why I thought KASLR might be an issue.

Thinking about swapping to an alternative mobo as I don't really need Thunderbolt, and stability is key... Z390 Aorus Pro or similar, but still happy to try and troubleshoot my current setup if it will help others having the same issues.

[EDIT] Further - think it might be a USB power issue - I plugged my Stream Deck directly into one of the keyboard ports, and the USB froze immediately. Possible?

I also had the freezing issue. Patched the platform id to 0x3E980003 instead of 0x3E981003 and the freezing stopped, but I also rearranged what devices were plugged into where, so not sure which was effective. Also haven't unplugged or plugged anything usb in since it stopped, scared to death if I do it'll start freezing again. Obviously not ideal, so hopefully a fix can be found. Worth noting I'm also on a Vega 56, MSI one. 4 x 16GB ram.

Screenshot 2020-06-16 at 15.59.59.pngScreenshot 2020-06-16 at 16.00.09.pngScreenshot 2020-06-16 at 16.08.14.png

Last edited:
I also had the freezing issue. Patched the platform id to 0x3E980003 instead of 0x3E981003 and the freezing stopped, but I also rearranged what devices were plugged into where, so not sure which was effective. Also haven't unplugged or plugged anything usb in since it stopped, scared to death if I do it'll start freezing again. Obviously not ideal, so hopefully a fix can be found. Worth noting I'm also on a Vega 56, MSI one. 4 x 16GB ram.

I'll try that. Where did you get those platform-ids from? Can't find them in the WG Framebuffer patch guide or the OC Vanilla guide. Cheers

I'll try that. Where did you get those platform-ids from? Can't find them in the WG Framebuffer patch guide or the OC Vanilla guide. Cheers
Not actually sure! I was trying everything over the course of a couple of months, read so many different forums, have no idea where I got it from. It might not be the fix, might just be coincidence that I changed that at the same time as reorganising my usb connections. Thought it was worth a mention though incase it helps. I'm still considering changing the board tbh, I'm not entirely convinced the freezing is gone. Being hesitant to plug or unplug anything is not ideal, but it's been stable for over a month now, just tip toeing around it as the freezing was a massive headache. Hopefully it works for you

Not actually sure! I was trying everything over the course of a couple of months, read so many different forums, have no idea where I got it from. It might not be the fix, might just be coincidence that I changed that at the same time as reorganising my usb connections. Thought it was worth a mention though incase it helps. I'm still considering changing the board tbh, I'm not entirely convinced the freezing is gone. Being hesitant to plug or unplug anything is not ideal, but it's been stable for over a month now, just tip toeing around it as the freezing was a massive headache. Hopefully it works for you

Sounds exactly like my experience - periods of rock-solid stability, then I have to unplug something and then it all starts going wrong again... What do you have in your config.plist? I couldn't work out how to swap your hex pairs to get something sensible... Thanks!

If you are booting Mojave with the new USB install disk, then yes. The AppleIntelCPUPM and KernelPM settings are in the EFI folder, not on the macOS SSD. When you boot from the USB install disk, the EFI folder on the USB install disk takes effect.
Unfortunately the problem remains even after unlocking MSR 0xE2 register .
In some cases the startup was successful and I was able to log in but I had a freeze problem or at startup the progress bar freezes at 25%.
I can't understand what the problem may be: should I perhaps uninstall the kexts installed in /Library/Extensions before starting the system from Mojave with the new USB install drive?

Sounds exactly like my experience - periods of rock-solid stability, then I have to unplug something and then it all starts going wrong again... What do you have in your config.plist? I couldn't work out how to swap your hex pairs to get something sensible... Thanks!
I used Hackintool, think its already in there. I'm on opencore, just set the AAPL,ig-platform-id to <0300983E>

Hope this works for you, was here checking to see if anyone else had the same problem before I swap the board, seems to be way more common than it was when I was trying to fix it a month or two ago.

I used Hackintool, think its already in there. I'm on opencore, just set the AAPL,ig-platform-id to <0300983E>

Hope this works for you, was here checking to see if anyone else had the same problem before I swap the board, seems to be way more common than it was when I was trying to fix it a month or two ago.

I think it's to do with your and my USB configuration then, unfortunately, as <0300983E> is the platform-id I've been using whilst trying to trouble-shoot this. Was going to give 0300923E a shot, as that's recommended as another option in the OC guide. Sounds like you and I might be buying another board!

I think it's to do with your and my USB configuration then, unfortunately, as <0300983E> is the platform-id I've been using whilst trying to trouble-shoot this. Was going to give 0300923E a shot, as that's recommended as another option in the OC guide. Sounds like you and I might be buying another board!
Ah, that's a shame. I'm guessing I've somehow managed to plug everything into a usb it's happy in then. How annoying. Asus here we come...

Platform ID 0x3E980003 is the standard iGPU headless ID. It is specified by default in the Catalina and OpenCore mini guides. If you're running Mojave, please by running Hackintool and looking at the front page:

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 9.32.21 AM.png

Back