Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thank you! In fact I went rogue and did a clean install following your mini guide. I am running on 10.15.5 and it went so smooth! I'm finishing installing a lot of programs and I will test if everything is ok.
Thanks again.
That's the spirit! ;)

Formatted the USB Drive, did all the steps correctly, press F12, get the boot menu, but It would not boot. I get to a black screen then few seconds later it drops me back to the menu. I do not have Mojave installed, I do have Win10 pro on the machine, with extra drives. I've also gone through the procedure to make a bootable Mojave USB installer, same issue, would not let me launch it, brings me back to menu. Anything in BIOS I need to change?
Just trying to build a hackentosh, but so far its been great PC. Please help.
Also after trying this, my machine could not boot. It kept on rebooting then launched Win10 and asked me to reset BIOS so I did.. weird
Some questions:
  • Are you using Clover or OpenCore?
  • Are you installing Mojave or Catalina?
  • On which system did you create the USB install disk?

Do you have a full hotplug now on both cards?

Yep at least from what I can tell. My CalDigit requires a reboot on cold boot to be recognized but after that it's fine. I only have one TB3 device to test. Can't figure out Display out from it though but only one display out worked with my Macbook Pro so it might be a CalDigit driver issue.

- I tell you, when I plug the iPhone or iPad and go to Finder to view information for iPhone/iPad, sometime I have a error connection... but today work correctly. It's a randomly error....
This is a fairly common issue: "Couldn't communicate with a helper application". Although it is not related to your Hackintosh build, you might be able to solve it like this:
  • Disconnect the iPod nano
  • Run Apple Music app (or iTunes if you're on Mojave) and make sure your music library gets opened and displayed properly
  • Now connect the iPod nano
  • If it works, then next time it should not be necessary to run Apple Music or iTunes
- Other question,in iStat menu doesn't see the temp or statistics of 5700 XT. I tested with AMD GPU Menu V0.85. But, when open, I have error...
If you're using VirtualSMC, download and use HWMonitorSMC 2.6.1 from here:

I have successfully used the guides in the files here to get OC 0.5.9 running on my board. I edited the config.plist and the kext directory to add support for my Intel 520 10G card (SmallTree driver). The very last thing I'm having difficulties with is audio. It worked when I was running clover on this same install.

I have all the outputs, including the HDMI output audio, I've even plugged in headphones to the front line out plug and I can't get any audio out of the system. When I connect my Bluetooth AirPods to the system I can get audio...

My. boot-args are stock

Code:
<string>slide=0 keepsyms=1 dart=0 debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera alcid=11 shikigva=80 igfxfw=2</string>

Suggestions?
When you say you "have all the outputs" what do you mean? Do you mean that all of the audio In/Out ports appear in System Information --> Audio as follows?

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 7.56.10 AM.png

Hello,@CaseySJ
I'm here again. I use CH34A to brush the firmware, I'm sure the contact is good, but the error is displayed when reading the chip
C5E28FD2-BDA3-4395-AD22-021AB57DD98A.png

CH34A green light is off, only red power light is on. Before, I could read the firmware of the chip, but I couldn't for a while.Is this chip broken?
THX

This is a fairly common issue: "Couldn't communicate with a helper application". Although it is not related to your Hackintosh build, you might be able to solve it like this:
  • Disconnect the iPod nano
  • Run Apple Music app (or iTunes if you're on Mojave) and make sure your music library gets opened and displayed properly
  • Now connect the iPod nano
  • If it works, then next time it should not be necessary to run Apple Music or iTunes

If you're using VirtualSMC, download and use HWMonitorSMC 2.6.1 from here:
i tested with HWMonitor and same problem,no information 5700xt..

Captura de pantalla 2020-06-07 a las 17.01.05.png

Hi Casey.
I installed Opencore 0.59, with some minor changes.
When I start the computer, in the Bios screen, it gives me an error and I can't understand what it is.
I am attaching the config file of opencore.
However, the computer starts the same.
With Clover I didn't have this error.
Thanks...
Some immediate observations:
  • SSDT-UIAC.aml should be disabled because you're using USBPorts.kext. This is a minor issue because USBInjectAll.kext is not being used, but should still be done.
  • SMCProcessor.kext and SMCSuperIO.kext are missing from Kexts folder. They are part of VirtualSMC.
And @StefanAM is correct -- there's an XML error in your config.plist:

Your existing file:
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 8.09.39 AM.png

Although technically that's okay, we should change it to this:
Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 4.48.27 AM.png

This applies to OpenCore 0.5.9 and newer only. If using earlier version of OpenCore, the parameter name is Block instead of Delete.

Last edited:
Yep at least from what I can tell. My CalDigit requires a reboot on cold boot to be recognized but after that it's fine. I only have one TB3 device to test. Can't figure out Display out from it though but only one display out worked with my Macbook Pro so it might be a CalDigit driver issue.
Regarding the wake-from-sleep crash:
  • Is the Thunderbolt card plugged into a PCIe slot that has full x4 bandwidth?
  • Some X99 and X299 motherboards share PCIe lanes with SATA, M.2, U.2 and other devices. If you have multiple PCIe x4 slots, please check the manual and/or move Thunderbolt card to a different slot.
  • Because Thunderbolt card is operating in ICM (internal connection manager) mode, it should behave nicely (just without Thunderbolt Bus).

i tested with HWMonitor and same problem,no information 5700xt..

View attachment 474507
Open HWMonitorSMC's "setup" screen (bottom left corner of drop-down) and select this option:
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 8.17.40 AM.png
It may be necessary to then Quit and restart HWMonitorSMC.

Back