Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello,@CaseySJ
I'm here again. I use CH34A to brush the firmware, I'm sure the contact is good, but the error is displayed when reading the chip
View attachment 474505
CH34A green light is off, only red power light is on. Before, I could read the firmware of the chip, but I couldn't for a while.Is this chip broken?
THX
This is normal. The Winbond chip is most likely okay. Please try the procedure mentioned here:
But read it very carefully -- you must disconnect Pin 8 from SOIC clip when turning on the Power Supply Unit (PSU). But do NOT turn on the motherboard.

Regarding the wake-from-sleep crash:
  • Is the Thunderbolt card plugged into a PCIe slot that has full x4 bandwidth?
  • Some X99 and X299 motherboards share PCIe lanes with SATA, M.2, U.2 and other devices. If you have multiple PCIe x4 slots, please check the manual and/or move Thunderbolt card to a different slot.
  • Because Thunderbolt card is operating in ICM (internal connection manager) mode, it should behave nicely (just without Thunderbolt Bus).

I haven't had issues with crashes after waking from sleep and both of my Titan Ridge cards were flashed with custom NVM50. But I only have one Thunderbolt3 device to test. Yes on the WS Sage X299 boards it has 7x16 slots since it has two PLX chips. It runs at 16x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x if all slots are populated.

When "freezing" occurs, all of the USB ports effectively turn off. It happens at random intervals. Could be minutes, or hours until USB "freeze" occurs. Keyboard and mouse stop working, and if I plug in a thumb drive with an indicator light, it doesn't come on and doesn't mount. This applies to all USB ports, as I've plugged in and out of all of them after a freeze.

My keyboard is a Steel Series Apex and mouse is a Roccat Kone XTD. When unplugged and replugged after freezing occurs, all lights are shut off. However, the OS itself doesn't freeze. The clock still runs, console still scrolls messages, and Activity Monitor shows activity. I've tried multiple different versions of the necessary kexts, also.
This is literally the *exact* same issue I've been experiencing - USB dropouts, that were initially mistaken as freezes (but weren't).

In the last few weeks, I've managed to not encounter one (knock on wood), but I'm not 100% certain they're gone, and I've changed so much, I'm not exactly sure what slowed them down/stopped them. Key things to note:

- Moved USB keyboard to one of the black ports on the back (HS09/HS10).
- Changed smbios to iMacPro1,1
- Update BIOS to revision g (or H) and double checked to ensure internal bluetooth/wifi card was completely disabled

I still encounter times in Ableton where the GUI and entire system (except for audio) lags for several seconds. I'm not sure why. It's quite annoying, but thankfully, the system hasn't seemed to drop USB out yet. I'm not convinced the problem is absolutely gone yet, but....this 3 things have seemed to improve it for me.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
  • Is the Thunderbolt header connected to X299-A II? I'm not familiar with this board, but I assume it has a THB_C header.
Yes, it's plugged into the motherboard THB_C header.
  • If no Thunderbolt device are connected to the card, does the system wake properly from sleep?
No. If the card is plugged into the system even without any device plugged in, the PC reboots once it's waked from sleep.
  • Are you using a suitably modified Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT?
    • If unsure, simply run IORegistryExplorer, scroll to the Thunderbolt section and post a screenshot.
Yes. The TB3 tree in IORegistryExplorer shows up as intended.
If I use no SSDT the system still reboots once it's waked from sleep.
  • Are you using a Thunderbolt monitor?
No.
In fact, in any case, by just having the card into the slot the system reboots once waked from sleep.
  • Some X99 and X299 motherboards share PCIe lanes with SATA, M.2, U.2 and other devices. If you have multiple PCIe x4 slots, please check the manual and/or move Thunderbolt card to a different slot.
  • Because Thunderbolt card is operating in ICM (internal connection manager) mode, it should behave nicely (just without Thunderbolt Bus).
P.S. @djlild7hina -- sorry, I had you mixed up with @zzmadd

P.S. @djlild7hina -- sorry, I had you mixed up with @zzmadd

haha no worries please ignore my reply :)

Hello,@CaseySJ
I'm here again. I use CH34A to brush the firmware, I'm sure the contact is good, but the error is displayed when reading the chip
View attachment 474505
CH34A green light is off, only red power light is on. Before, I could read the firmware of the chip, but I couldn't for a while.Is this chip broken?
THX
Thank you for your reply. Is this method also applicable to Titan ridge?

Thank you for your reply. Is this method also applicable to Titan ridge?
No, it's for Designare motherboard. GC-Titan Ridge is usually very easy to read/write. All 8 pins of SOIC clip must be connected. I prefer to use the circuit board described here:

No, it's for Designare motherboard. GC-Titan Ridge is usually very easy to read/write. All 8 pins of SOIC clip must be connected. I prefer to use the circuit board described here:
I'm pretty sure all 8 pins are connected.I tried to read the green dot chip on the Titan ridge. It can be read. But the blue one just doesn't work. Is there read-write encryption protection?or broken?

I'm pretty sure all 8 pins are connected.I tried to read the green dot chip on the Titan ridge. It can be read. But the blue one just doesn't work. Is there read-write encryption protection?or broken?
Oh, if you can read green-dot chip then you should also be able to read blue-dot chip. Please check that Pin 1 is oriented correctly to Pin 1 on the chip. However, it is possible that the blue-dot chip is more difficult to read because of nearby resistors and other surface-mount components. The simple circuit with resistor and capacitor may be able to help.

Another suggestion -- and this will sound strange -- is to wait until after sunset...

Oh, if you can read green-dot chip then you should also be able to read blue-dot chip. Please check that Pin 1 is oriented correctly to Pin 1 on the chip. However, it is possible that the blue-dot chip is more difficult to read because of nearby resistors and other surface-mount components. The simple circuit with resistor and capacitor may be able to help.

Another suggestion -- and this will sound strange -- is to wait until after sunset...
Thanks very much.I'll try again.

Back