Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Regarding FaceTime and EmuVariableUEFI-64:
In my case I need to have EmuVariableUEFI-64 permanently installed, because otherwise I get an error message as soon as I logout of FaceTime and try to login again.

Is there any need to install the kexts at /L/E? So far I've placed everything in the respective Clover directories within the EFI partition.
Have you tried the suggestion in this video to fix Messages and FaceTime?

This actually worked for me one time, but on a reinstallation it failed. But feel free to try it (without EmuVariable).

If everything is working with kexts installed only in Clover, you should be fine. Installation to /L/E is recommended for the long term. This might ease installation of future OS updates, and it is also Apple’s sanctioned repository for third party kexts.

I had to do a lot of clean installs over and over, troubleshooting, kernel panics here and there but at the end...
[Success] The baby is born, i9-9900k & Vega64!! Thanks for this awesome thread, I couldn't do it without your help and tonymacx86! I'm so happy xD

Will check the Vega Link that you posted above, thanks again!
Awesome, and congratulations!!

The updated build guide, I hope, will prevent a lot of these problems. On the other hand, solving problems makes the end result more satisfying :)

With Safari I get an error message (S7363-1260-FFFFD089). With Chrome I don't have an issue.
So, I added shiki Boot flag like shikigva=x or xx and Voila!! working!!in Safari, you can try 1,4,12 or 16. I put all together.

So, I added shiki Boot flag like shikigva=x or xx and Voila!! working!!in Safari, you can try 1,4,12 or 16. I put all together.
I thought shikigva functionality was included in WhateverGreen, so if one other person can confirm this and provide a specific value for shikigva, I’ll update the build guide.

Find attached some USB information for my combination of Gigabyte Designare Z390 and Fractal Design Define R6 with Connect D1 (USB-C 3.1 Front):
  • Description
  • Fractal Design Define R6 with Connect D1 specific SSDT (DSL-format to be used with MaciASL)

Attachments

• Designare Z390 and Fractal Design Define R6 Connect D1.pdf
    470 KB · Views: 400
  • SSDT-UIAC-ALL-DESIGNARE-FD.dsl
    6.7 KB · Views: 97
Find attached some USB information for my combination of Gigabyte Designare Z390 and Fractal Design Define R6 with Connect D1 (USB-C 3.1 Front):
  • Description
  • Fractal Design Define R6 with Connect D1 specific SSDT (DSL-format to be used with MaciASL)
Very nice! After reviewing your spreadsheet I will modify my USB SSDT by also removing HS01 and changing SS01 to type 9. I noticed this yesterday while reviewing my SSDT, but forgot to make the change.

Update: Added to new section in build guide: Contributed Files

Last edited:

I've tried the four values, but without success.

Hi CaseySJ,
I'm very interested in Your very well explained guide and the Gigabyte Z390 Designate motherboard for updating my system. I have a few questions to ask, if possible, to clarify some aspects in order to make a decision about it:
- it is mandatory to use the MacMini 8,1 sysdef for macOS mojave 10.14.2 and later or iMac 14.2 sysdef can can work anyway?
- Is it mandatory to enable the iGPU to manage HEVC, H.264, Quick Look, Preview, etc?
- I would like to create a multi-boot win / mac / lin system on separate hard drives (like the one I currently use): you think can i use both Intel CNVi WiFi / Bluetooth card in Windows and the natively-compatible BCM94360CS2 WiFi / BT in mac alternatively disabling somehow, when necessary, the on board card to overcome any driver compatibility issues in different OSes
- are both dual-channel configurations A1-B1 and A2-B2 compatible with installing macOS?
Thanks in advance

Hi CaseySJ,
I'm very interested in Your very well explained guide and the Gigabyte Z390 Designate motherboard for updating my system. I have a few questions to ask, if possible, to clarify some aspects in order to make a decision about it:
- it is mandatory to use the MacMini 8,1 sysdef for macOS mojave 10.14.2 and later or iMac 14.2 sysdef can can work anyway?
- Is it mandatory to enable the iGPU to manage HEVC, H.264, Quick Look, Preview, etc?
- I would like to create a multi-boot win / mac / lin system on separate hard drives (like the one I currently use): you think can i use both Intel CNVi WiFi / Bluetooth card in Windows and the natively-compatible BCM94360CS2 WiFi / BT in mac alternatively disabling somehow, when necessary, the on board card to overcome any driver compatibility issues in different OSes
- are both dual-channel configurations A1-B1 and A2-B2 compatible with installing macOS?
Thanks in advance
Hello SardusX,
  • It's not mandatory to use Macmini8,1. However, it most closely matches this configuration (Titan Ridge TB3 with 2+ ports, single HDMI port, multiple USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports, no built-in display, Coffee Lake CPU with UHD 630). The iMac14,2 definition should work as well, but I haven't tested it completely.
  • It's not mandatory to use the iGPU for HEVC, H.264, Quick Look, Preview, etc. Others are using their AMD RX or Vega GPUs for this, but it requires the installation of NoVPGAJpeg.kext. See this post.
  • Trying to use both the CNVi Bluetooth and Broadcom Bluetooth may be a problem! The CNVi BT is connected to HS14 (USB 2.0 port) and Broadcom to HS11. If we enable both of these USB ports in the USB SSDT, MacOS will get confused; it will try unsuccessfully to activate the CNVi BT device on HS14 and simply ignore the good one on HS11. That's why we disable HS14. If you want to use CNVi BT in Windows, you'll have to enable HS14. So therein lies the problem! I'm not aware of a method for selecting different versions of SSDTs based on different operating systems. Maybe someone else has a solution...
  • Both dual-channel memory configurations (A1-B1 and A2-B2) should be perfectly fine.
Update: someone mentioned that CNVi BT can work with MacOS if you first initialize the port with Windows. But if you turn off the power supply or pull the power cable then you’ll have to run Windows first to reinitialze the CNVi BT. Note that shutting down the system keeps idle power flowing to the motherboard, so CNVi BT will be okay. Only a full power shutdown will remove the boot ROM from the CNVi BT. In this case you don’t have to connect the USB cable for the Broadcom card.

Last edited:
On the Designare Z390, all of my memory errors are resolved with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. The system has been rock solid. Turns on every time and runs for the entire day (such as nearly all day yesterday). And the performance / responsiveness always brings a smile! That PCIe M.2 SSD makes a world of difference.

I let mine run for 24 hours and have shutdown and booted multiple times. I'm still working the Video Editing aspect. FCPX, Motion, Resolve, and Adobe After Effects all crash. I can however play 4K videos in VLC very smoothly. Have not tried netflix in Chrome or Safari yet.

Interestingly I don't have the Mother Board Audio Devices show up in System Profiler I do have AppleALC.kext in Kext "Other" folder. I have not rebuilt my kext cache and will do that. I am at work and can't get to it till tonight.

I notice that UHD 630 is listed by apple as FCPX graphics card. You mention "The native iGPU on 9th gen Coffee Lake is 3E988086, but this is not supported by MacOS. So we "fake" it to its closest cousin, which is 3E9B8086". That the ID I am using in my config.plist file. Is this becasue the CPU isnt supported or the iGPU?

I have a Thunderbolt RAID enclosure showing up today so that is tonight's project. I'm 99% there lol! @CaseySJ Thank you again for doing this and staying on top of it. You are very close to moving it to a Golden Build!

Thanks again!
Jules

Back