Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

After the installation is complete, the sound is only useful for a period of time, then slowly no sound, and the sound level is not controlled.

Attachments

• EA357A5F-C9E4-4F1B-A605-41B5ACDD5A0C.jpeg
    EA357A5F-C9E4-4F1B-A605-41B5ACDD5A0C.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 71
After the installation is complete, the sound is only useful for a period of time, then slowly no sound, and the sound level is not controlled.
as per Apple design, you can't control external audio from a monitor

Yes, that's a good card, but it requires patching to work in macOS, correct? The Syba does not, nor does the Sonnet....
It does, you have to flip a bit in the firmware to set the card with a new vendor ID.

I may have lost track of the original firmware for my GC-Alpine Ridge AIC rev.2. I flashed what I believe is the original firmware so that later today I can try @dgsda's method. after boot, my apple TB display works, although there is no TB bus nor does the display show up in IOReg under RP21. I didn't expect the display to work without flashed firmware. the checksum of what I believe is the original is different from any of the patched firmwares I have on my RPi, but I want to be sure.

does someone have the original firmware, or is it posted here somewhere?
thanks!

Power the motherboard on and try flashing again? Or just see if it will read?

You should see the comprehensive post of @iRamon, he has also shot detailed photos. You attach the clip (with all cables and PSU OFF) and the lights of your Mainboard should come on, if you attached it properly. If not try again. After that pull the cable from pin 8 and the lights should go out. Then flip the PSU power switch to ON and your lights should shine once again. Subsequently start reading and comparing the checksums and then, and ONLY IF the checksums match, start writing. I hope you have good eyes and don't scratch down some resistors :p

@dgsga--what would be the patch for replacing RP21._INI with RP21.XINI?
and I assume that patch and the _GPE patch would work in clover if placed in config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.

attached is my un-patched DSDT.

thanks!
@faithie999 Here's your patched DSDT, along with config.plist patches for OpenCore. The TBT hot plug _GPE method in your DSDT is _E17. You'll have to create the Clover version of the same patches... I'm not sure if it'll work with an Alpine Ridge AIC as my Alpine Ridge is built-in. Good luck!

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 66
  • DSDT.aml.zip
    46.1 KB · Views: 80
So, well, not so good, actually......

No TB tree, and hot plug is gone.

I used your TB dsl, checked for the parameters you suggested, they seemed corrected (I couldn't find either _E2C or XE2C) and produced an aml and loaded it. Very similar to the first time I tried it. I double checked the my config.plist and both patches are there, and are enabled.

I have GPIO force enabled in my BIOS settings (this is Asus's version of TB Power enabling). Remember that with my old config, cold plug and hot plug worked.

Sadly, no change. After changing my EFI, and loading this TB aml, only Cold plug works, hot plug does not, and no tree in Sysinfo. Again, in PCI it does change the name of TB devices from GC-Titan Ridge to Intel, but no tree.
@mm2margaret Your SSDT looks fine. I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you. It's starting to look like this approach only works with built-in Alpine Ridge, not Add In Cards. :(

@mm2margaret , you found all the right bits, good job. All the changes that need to be made are done in the SSDT-TbtOnPCH file, not the system DSDT. The _GPE hot-plug method you need is indeed _E4C. So all you need to do is change _E2C in the SSDT to _E4C and XE2C to XE4C as per the attached file. Don't mess with your DSDT and remember to have Force Power enabled in the thunderbolt configuration section of your bios. Then use the config.plist ACPI patches I've also attached

Okay, I'm adding some files.....

As noted earlier, it's not really working for me. I've added my adjusted config.plist, before and after ioreg files, and my BIOS TB settings and the current working (for the most part) TB file.....(these work in macOS, but only Windows style....and no tree as noted before....)

Attachments

• Not_so_good_Beastie.ioreg.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • TB_working_Beastie.ioreg.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
  • adjusted_config.plist.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Thunderbolt settings.txt
    748 bytes · Views: 76
  • Working_SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited: