Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm back with another Kernel Panic but this time it happened when I tried to shut down the computer. I have attached here the zipped text file.

I switched successfully to VirtualSMC but it seems that this didn't resolved the issue. Should I change the RAM speed? Currently it is at 3200mhz XPM Profile 1.
Troubleshooting random crashes can be particularly difficult so we always suggest Process of Elimination like this:
  • Is macOS damaged?
    • Boot from bootable backup disk and see if it exhibits the same crashes.
    • Install Windows or Linux and see if those operating systems also crash randomly.
  • Is it bad memory or memory-related?
    • Try disabling X.M.P. Profile 1 as you suggested.
    • Also run memtest (simply Google "memtest for Mac")
  • Is it a bad application or kext/driver?
    • Run macOS in Safe Mode and see if it still crashes. (At the Clover Boot Menu press spacebar and choose the Safe Mode option.)
    • Install fresh copy of macOS on a spare SSD.
  • Is it a conflicting peripheral device?
    • Disconnect all USB, Thunderbolt, and PCIe cards except (a) keyboard, (b) mouse, (c) WiFi/BT, (d) GPU and then check for system stability.

Last edited:
Troubleshooting random crashes can be particularly difficult so we always suggest Process of Elimination like this:
  • Is macOS damaged?
    • Boot from bootable backup disk and see if it exhibits the same crashes.
    • Install Windows or Linux and see if those operating systems also crash randomly.
  • Is it bad memory or memory-related?
    • Try disabling X.M.P. Profile 1 as you suggested.
    • Also run memtest (simple Google "memtest for Mac")
  • Is it a bad application or kext/driver?
    • Run macOS in Safe Mode and see if it still crashes.
    • Install fresh copy of macOS on a spare SSD.
  • Is it a conflicting peripheral device?
    • Disconnect all USB, Thunderbolt, and PCIe cards except (a) keyboard, (b) mouse, (c) WiFi/BT, (d) GPU and then check for system stability.
  • I have a bootable back-up disk but not a spare SSD unfortunately.
I have Windows on other SSD installed and there I get BSOD once in a while but the error is always "NTFS.SYS". The BSOD appeared immediately after I switched the Windows Drive. Before I had it only for some tests on a HDD which worked perfectly so I suspect in this situation the SSD has some issues in Windows. Another thing is that MacOS sometimes doesn't mount that particular SSD.. which is strange to me. Do you think it's related?
  • I'll try using XMP disabled and also a memtest.
  • I'll also disconnect any other USB, TB3 device.

Hi, I was able to build my first Hackintosh following your guide. All I can say is WOW!! Installation went off without a hitch and instructions were easy to follow. I do have a couple questions though.
1. I tried Radeon Boost with my Vega 56 in slot 2 (8x slot). All I get is a pink tint on my Samsung 4K monitor via HDMI. Anyone experience this?
2. How do I enable HS01? I know there is a limit of 15 USB 2.0 ports. I am using the HS11/HS12 port for the Fenvi T919. Can I disable one of these and still have the Fenvi function? If not, I am okay with disabling HS05/HS06 as I am not using this header anyway.
Thanks!

• I have a bootable back-up disk but not a spare SSD unfortunately.
I have Windows on other SSD installed and there I get BSOD once in a while but the error is always "NTFS.SYS". The BSOD appeared immediately after I switched the Windows Drive. Before I had it only for some tests on a HDD which worked perfectly so I suspect in this situation the SSD has some issues in Windows. Another thing is that MacOS sometimes doesn't mount that particular SSD.. which is strange to me. Do you think it's related?
  • I'll try using XMP disabled and also a memtest.
  • I'll also disconnect any other USB, TB3 device.
It would be good to boot into Windows and perform diagnostics on the suspicious NTFS drive. Always good to extinguish the little flames first so as to reduce the number of variables.

It would be good to boot into Windows and perform diagnostics on the suspicious NTFS drive. Always good to extinguish the little flames first so as to reduce the number of variables.
Will do that! Thank you!

Hi, I was able to build my first Hackintosh following your guide. All I can say is WOW!! Installation went off without a hitch and instructions were easy to follow. I do have a couple questions though.
1. I tried Radeon Boost with my Vega 56 in slot 2 (8x slot). All I get is a pink tint on my Samsung 4K monitor via HDMI. Anyone experience this?
2. How do I enable HS01? I know there is a limit of 15 USB 2.0 ports. I am using the HS11/HS12 port for the Fenvi T919. Can I disable one of these and still have the Fenvi function? If not, I am okay with disabling HS05/HS06 as I am not using this header anyway.
Thanks!
Hello @pierceal,

Glad to hear the build went well, and welcome to the forum.
  1. Are you experiencing the pink tint with just RadeonBoost kext or in combination with the Soft Power Play SSDT?
  2. We can definitely turn off either HS11 or HS12 in order to enable HS01. First download and run IORegistryExplorer and scroll the device tree on left side of the app until you get to XHC. You'll see both HS11 and HS12 as child nodes under XHC. The Fenvi will be connected to one of them. Let me know which one.

Hello @pierceal,

Glad to hear the build went well, and welcome to the forum.
  1. Are you experiencing the pink tint with just RadeonBoost kext or in combination with the Soft Power Play SSDT?
  2. We can definitely turn off either HS11 or HS12 in order to enable HS01. First download and run IORegistryExplorer and scroll the device tree on left side of the app until you get to XHC. You'll see both HS11 and HS12 as child nodes under XHC. The Fenvi will be connected to one of them. Let me know which one.
1. I followed the fresh install 10.15.4 guide and then just copied both the Vega .kext and .aml files into the EFI partition. Also in display settings, it doesn’t recognize that it is a 4k monitor. Max scaled resolution is 1600x900.
2. It looks to be connected to HS11.

The GPU is also being recognized as “AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 Nano 8GB 8 GB”

1. I followed the fresh install 10.15.4 guide and then just copied both the Vega .kext and .aml files into the EFI partition. Also in display settings, it doesn’t recognize that it is a 4k monitor. Max scaled resolution is 1600x900.
2. It looks to be connected to HS11.
The GPU is also being recognized as “AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 Nano 8GB 8 GB”
  1. If you disabled WhateverGreen with the -wegoff flag in Boot Arguments, remove that flag, reboot, and try again. If the problem persists, then also remove the .aml file from CLOVER/ACPI/patched and reboot.
  2. The attached SSDT enables HS01 and disables HS12. Please remove the previous SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml before copying this one in its place.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-HS01-But-No-HS12.aml
    846 bytes · Views: 83
@CaseySJ
I had a question brother. I have two monitors connected to the same GPU (WX7100).
When I turn off the secondary monitor, the mouse still gets lost when I go to the edge of the screen. Is there a way to make it like connecting my MacBook Pro to a monitor; when I turn off the monitor, it disconnects? (prevents the mouse of moving off the primary monitor)
Just hooked up a second monitor and got the same result. It seems we have to pull the cable to fully disconnect a monitor. If real Macs will disconnect just by powering off the monitor then it should be possible on a Hackintosh as well. Maybe it's a problem with WhateverGreen or maybe we're missing something in either Device Properties or ACPI/SSDT. Will need more investigation.
Tried this today on a Dell laptop running Windows 10, and experienced the same behavior. Even selecting the "Detect" button in Windows --> Settings --> Displays does not disconnect the second monitor when it's powered off. Only unplugging the cable achieves an auto-disconnect. Quite a few people prefer this behavior and there are threads in which people were purchasing HDMI EDID plugs to trick the system into maintaining a connection.

Back