Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@zipb
Well.. for me it's not about physically hotplugging/unplugging the cable.
Who's going to physically unplug during an audio session - especially on a desktop.
However 'hotplug' as I see it is switching the audio interface on without a hitch after the computer
is already booted up and running.

I see. You don't use a central studio power switch or power sequencer.

If I forget to switch on my ULN-8 and launch Cubase, it will pick the internal audio driver and I have to jump through a couple of hoops before it switches to the Metric Halo driver and i/o. It will not pick my ULN-8 as the default i/o when it is switched on after launch. Irritating.

What helps: use a different computer(I use a 2011 MacBook Pro with a dead AMD GPU) or iPad or whatever for non-DAW related stuff. Then when you are going to work on some music, switch on your studio gear. All of it, Hack and peripherals.

CaseySJ, first of all thank you for your efforts and for keeping this thread up to date. I build my Hackintosh with gigabyte z390 aorus pro, Radeon RX580 and i7-9700K. Everything works fine and I am very happy with my built.

Now I decided to build another one and bought similar parts, but having some issues with it. Parts are Gigabyte Z390 Ultra, i3-9100 and MaxSun RX580. I was able to install Catalina and everything except a few things works ok. A few things: I was not able to boot my Hackintosh when I was plugged in to external GPU I even couldn't get to BIOS. I had to connect to on board HDMI and make it default connection in BIOS. everything works ok now, but hands-off doesn't.

My two questions are:
Is there any way to boot it with HDMI or DP connected to RX 580?
What could be a problem with handoff?

Thank you in advance!
Hello @rauan1,

Let's get some things cleared up first ...
  • You say you have an external GPU. This term is used for graphic cards that are mounted in an eGPU enclosure outside of your system and connected via Thunderbolt.
  • I think you mean you have a discrete GPU: your RX580 is installed in a PCIE slot on your Z390 Ultra. Is that correct? If not, please be more specific.
Assuming you have your RX580 installed in a PCIE slot:
  • You should have no problem booting into BIOS with a display attached to the DP or HDMI ports of your RX580. This is unrelated to macOS.
  • Try this:
    • Set Initial Display Output in BIOS to the correct PCIE slot number where your RX580 is installed
    • Shut down your system
    • Connect only one display to your system using a DP or HDMI port on your RX580.
    • Make sure your monitor is powered on.
    • Now power up your computer.
  • Is anything displayed on your screen?

If nothing appears, try eliminating the cause:
  • Since you have another system (Aorus Pro, also with a RX580), can you boot to BIOS with a display connected to DP or HDMI on RX580 on that system? If so, try using the monitor and cable from your Aorus Pro system and connect it to your Ultra system.
  • Try a different monitor (not a TV!), try a different cable, try a different port on your RX580.
  • Install the RX580 from your Aorus Pro system in your Ultra. If that card works on your Ultra, then your new RX580 card could be faulty.
  • Since your Aorus Pro is already configured for a RX580, you can also install the new RX580 in your Aorus Pro system and see what happens.

For hand-off
  • Do you have one of the recommended Wifi/Bluetooth cards (see post #1) installed?
    If so, which one (please be specific) and in which PCIe slot?
  • Did you connect the USB-cable from the WiFi/Bluetooth card to the USB 2.0 header on your motherboard?
  • Did you disable or remove the onboard Wifi/Bluetooth module of your Z390 Ultra?
  • Do you have Bluetooth working at all?
  • What does System Information > Bluetooth show you?
    • If it says Handoff Supported = Yes, then have a look at this guide.
    • If it says No, then I guess you know the answer.
      SystemReport-Bluetooth.png

Last edited:
I see. You don't use a central studio power switch or power sequencer.

If I forget to switch on my ULN-8 and launch Cubase, it will pick the internal audio driver and I have to jump through a couple of hoops before it switches to the Metric Halo driver and i/o. It will not pick my ULN-8 as the default i/o when it is switched on after launch. Irritating.

What helps: use a different computer(I use a 2011 MacBook Pro with a dead AMD GPU) or iPad or whatever for non-DAW related stuff. Then when you are going to work on some music, switch on your studio gear. All of it, Hack and peripherals.
I am a solo musician/DJ full time.. not recording other musicians/bands in a recording studio setup. So I want my 'studio' Mac (this current Z390 build) to do a lot of stuff on, sometimes not always music related.
Maybe more admin/artwork etc. I'm working toward using my old Retina MBP 2012 for other mundane jobs occasionally - but it's going so slow some days.
As for the power - not needing a power switch yet, may look to it in the future as I have acquired some more hardware over the last 2 years. Just ITB UAD Apollo 8 | Quad Satellite | PCIe 8 Core. So I may not switch the Apollo on until later in the day or at all if I've been gigging 3/4 gigs in a row, give my ears/mind a rest.

Last edited:
You should only be using either VirtualSMC OR FakeSMC. Not both.

Always learning! I just switched entirely on VirtualSMC and updated my Lilu kext from /Library/Extensions and seems to work now. I'll keep you guys update, thank you for the info! Also, I have installed the IntelBluetooth driver and that one seems to work as well.

*** Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide for Gigabyte Designare Z390 ***

Procedure:
  • Specify a new Unique ID (UID) in the 5 green bytes below (0x11).

• Replace the 5 green numbers below with 5 randomly selected hex numbers.

• Save this into your Thunderbolt SSDT, in the NHI0._DSM method.

• Optional: Byte #2
Follow-Up:
  • If you experience a longer boot up time after flashing Thunderbolt firmware, it can often be corrected by applying an ACPI patch in Clover or OpenCore, as follows (credit @Elias64Fr):
    • Comment: disable GPE.TINI
    • Find: FF5C2E5F 47504554 494E4900 52505330 52505430 00
    • Replace : FF

@CaseySJ @Elias64Fr - thanks for the work on this.
Just to clarify, am I looking for my own hex numbers from my machine once I've flashed the firmware and
have I then got to include the hex bytes in the SSDT or are the aml files in the Micro-Guide useable?

The edited bits above are where I'm lost??

I think I've read it over too many times and now I'm confusing myself and my coffee..

• I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 (18G103)
  • Screenshot attached below
  • I have VirtualSMC in my EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other folder and FakeSMC in my /Library/Extensions. Should I replace those withe the ones from my EFI partitions?
  • Just wrote the command and rebooted.
  • The screenshot look okay actually.
  • However we should use either FakeSMC or VirtualSMC, not both. Recommendation is to use VirtualSMC. Please see this guide for switching.
  • The specific error in the kernel panic log pointed to a graphics frame buffer (or graphics driver) issue related to IOSurface, which is an API for sharing hardware accelerated buffers (frame buffers and textures) across multiple processes.
    • Are the crashes truly random or do they occur while running a particular application?
  • Please type the following in Terminal and grab screenshot (CMD-SHIFT-5): kextstat | grep -v apple.
    • This will show the names of all third-party kexts that have been loaded.

CaseySJ, first of all thank you for your efforts and for keeping this thread up to date. I build my Hackintosh with gigabyte z390 aorus pro, Radeon RX580 and i7-9700K. Everything works fine and I am very happy with my built.

Now I decided to build another one and bought similar parts, but having some issues with it. Parts are Gigabyte Z390 Ultra, i3-9100 and MaxSun RX580. I was able to install Catalina and everything except a few things works ok. A few things: I was not able to boot my Hackintosh when I was plugged in to external GPU I even couldn't get to BIOS. I had to connect to on board HDMI and make it default connection in BIOS. everything works ok now, but hands-off doesn't.

My two questions are:
Is there any way to boot it with HDMI or DP connected to RX 580?
What could be a problem with handoff?

Thank you in advance!
Hello @rauan1,

If I remember correctly, the MaxSun RX580 uses a non-standard Device ID and/or Vendor ID, which means macOS AMD drivers do not recognize it. If the GPU is new, are you able to return or exchange it? Any RX 580 from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Sapphire, PowerColor, etc., should work.

Handoff requires a compatible WiFi/Bluetooth card. Which one are you using?

@CaseySJ @Elias64Fr - thanks for the work on this.
Just to clarify, am I looking for my own hex numbers from my machine once I've flashed the firmware and
have I then got to include the hex bytes in the SSDT or are the aml files in the Micro-Guide useable?

The edited bits above are where I'm lost??

I think I've read it over too many times and now I'm confusing myself and my coffee..
Happy to help...
  • Those 5 green bytes specify a unique ID. We simply pick 5 hexadecimal number at random (from 0x00 to 0xFF, which is 0 to 255 in decimal). Even though this is not guaranteed to be universally unique (UUID), it does not need to be. It just needs to be unique to all the systems that might connect to the Hackintosh.
  • After choosing 5 numbers at random, we need to compute a new 1-bye (CRC8) checksum as mentioned in the guide.
  • Then the Thunderbolt DROM is ready, and the entire ThunderboltDROM can be copied-and-pasted into the SSDT attached tot the bottom of the DROM mini-guide. Simply download MaciASL from the acidanthera GitHub site (click here and download the file MacIASL-1.5.7-RELEASE.zip) to make the change.
  • At this time, do not apply the boot-time-reduction ACPI patch. First test everything and if you experience particularly long boot times (which I do not) then consider applying the ACPI patch.

• The screenshot look okay actually.
  • However we should use either FakeSMC or VirtualSMC, not both. Recommendation is to use VirtualSMC. Please see this guide for switching.
  • The specific error in the kernel panic log pointed to a graphics frame buffer (or graphics driver) issue related to IOSurface, which is an API for sharing hardware accelerated buffers (frame buffers and textures) across multiple processes.
    • Are the crashes truly random or do they occur while running a particular application?
  • Please type the following in Terminal and grab screenshot (CMD-SHIFT-5): kextstat | grep -v apple.
    • This will show the names of all third-party kexts that have been loaded.
  • I switched successfully to VirtualSMC. In the first place after I uninstalled FakeSMC from /Library/Extensions and replaced with VirtualSMC I have been stuck at boot with "busy timeout appleacpicpu" error but I managed to fix it by updating Lilu kext in the /Library/Extensions as well.
  • The crashes are truly random, there's no specific application or task that made my system crash. I don't know if it's related but my Windows partition is sometimes giving me a "Ntfs.sys" blue screen error when I log in but after a disk check the problem fixes. This BSOD on Windows started to show up after I switched my boot drive. Had a spare HDD that worked just fine and as soon as I installed W10 on a SSD that I had laying arround the BSOD started to show up.
  • It is worth mentioning that when I installed W10 my MacOS drive was out of the system.
  • I have attached the screenshot bellow.
LE: It is normal after the installation of the IntelBluetooth kext to disable the USB ports highlighted in the screenshot below?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-01 at 15.01.39.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-01 at 15.01.39.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot 2020-05-01 at 15.57.31.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-01 at 15.57.31.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Hi! Im having a hard time today, yesterday everything worked perfectly, I got my new Nvidia gpu and was eager to try it out in Windows so I installed the SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-2-GPU.aml-file in CLOVER/ACPI/patched-folder, installed the gpu and tried first to log in to Mac OS X Catalina to see if it worked, which it did, couldn't see the Nvidia gpu only my RX 580.

Rebooted and logged in to Windows 10 and was working in Windows last night and this day. Some hours ago I wanted to work in Mac OS again but I couldn't get in, I got a lot of different errors in the verbose milieu (see attached file). I tried boot up from my backup but got the same error.

I run Windows on a m2 ssd in the first port/slot, I have my Mac OS on a M2 in slot 2 and a "data-ssd" in p3 I think.

EDIT:
I have taken out the Nvidia gpu from slot 2, in case it that was the problem.

Would be very grateful if any one can node me in the right direction. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1521.jpg
    IMG_1521.jpg
    846.4 KB · Views: 58
Back