Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If it behaves the same way in Windows then it could be an interference issue. Have you tried connecting the antenna that comes in Designare box? Just connect it to the middle two antenna ports on the Fenvi.
I tried with the delivered antenna, it doesn't work. But I can connect from the same area without a problem to my iPad or iPhone.

Hi @CaseySJ and others
thanks for your hard work regarding Thunderbolt 3!

I have a Gigabyte GC Alpine Ridge PCIe card (REV 1.0) and tried to get it working using the patched firmware today but the card doesn't work at all - with either V1 or V2.

IOreg doesn't show anything anymore. System profiler status is "no hardware found".

Mainboard: GA-H170-HD3, Cable between card and Mainboard is connected.
Thunderbolt devices: Razor Core X

Any ideas? I attached a backup of the original firmware in case it helps to sort things out.

I never tested V1 or V2 but the one on my Alpine Ridg is here:

The SSDT that is zipped with the firmware will work if you make sure and correct the root port but it is best if you use the Alpine Ridge DROM mini guide and SSDT. The one linked I am pretty sure will not work with Thunderbolt <--> Thunderbolt networking.

Thanks for answer!
I got Catalina 10.15.1, but I don't have WiFi card, if possible I'd like use iPad 2020 12.9" by USB-C cable. I read about and it is possible, but when i link my iPad I not able to see it. Any idea?
In System Preferences --> Sidecar do you see your iPad in the drop-down list, like this?

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 12.05.36 PM.png

If so, what happens when you select your iPad?

Do not use the USB-C cable that comes with Apple iPad Pro. That cable only supports USB 2.0. We have intentionally disabled USB 2.0 on all USB-C ports on this system. Instead, please use either:
  • Thunderbolt 3 cable.
  • USB-C cable with explicit support for USB 3.x, such as this one.

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ

MacOS 10.15.4 installed and running well! Thank you again!

I'm going to leave it for a few days to see how sleep, etc., functions. (Right now I've not applied any extra patches like you've instructed before, as I'm using the Fenvi BT card connected to the front USB header.) There's also no need for providing me with a new SSDT as I don't want my setup to be different from others, and therefore don't need to use the front USB 2 port (already have 2x USB 3 ports at the front), however, thank you very much for the offer.

I had a few questions around AirDrop and things like Continuity Camera. I'm using Ethernet and WiFi/Bluetooth via the Fenvi card (also, a direct cable connection to the Motherboard USB header, I haven't used the splitter). Bluetooth and Wifi are working fine, as I'm able to browse the Internet and Bluetooth within System Prefs' has picked up my Apple keyboard. My questions:

• On Airdrop, my Hack for the majority of cases doesn't pick up any of my devices (e.g my MacBook or iPhone - these devices have the latest Apple OS on them). My MacBook sees my iPhone instantly. I understand to use AirDrop I need to have WiFi on, so this is on and connected to the same network as my iPhone and MacBook
  • Following on from the above, sometimes my iPhone sees my Hackintosh, and I can send it a photo, however this is rare, and in other times when it finds my Hackintosh within the AirDrop part of photos, when I tap the iMac, it then says 'Waiting' and nothing happens.
  • In regards to Continuity Camera, I right click to 'Import from iPhone', it picks up my iPhone, so on the list, I tap 'Take Photo', it then instructs me to 'Take a photo with " but after around 30 seconds or so, I get a message saying 'iPhone has timed out'.
  • Continuity works fine, tested by me opening up this very page on my Hack, even though I'm typing the response on my MacBook. The Hack also picks up when I'm on safari on my iPhone and picks up there too.

It's worth pointing out that the above has all been done on a fresh install of 10.15.4. I've not installed anything other than everything done as per your 10.15.4 mini-guide instructions.

Lastly, I had a 2 quick questions around USB devices and specifically, an Anker USB-3 Hub that I use:

• Now that I have installed everything, am I ok to use all the USB ports are the back of the motherboard, including the rear USB-2 ports to plug in USB 2 peripherals like a mouse etc?
  • I also wish to use this Anker USB-3 Hub (that I already own) and leave it plugged in permanently into one of the Blue USB-3 ports at the back. This is so when I boot into Windows, I plug in my gaming mouse, keyboard etc, but when I'm done in Windows, I remove the USB devices attached to the hub, so when I'm back in MacOS, all that's left is the Anker USB-3 hub. Would that be ok for MacOS?

Thank you again for all the help and support!

EDIT: Underlining this so you see it as it's a weird discovery I've made, but if I go to System Preferences, Sound, and change the sound output to any of the other outputs (that I don't even use, like Digital Out, line out etc), Airdrop on the Hack then picks up my iPhone and MacBook instantly. Any ideas or is this completely unrelated?

Last edited:
Why? Because I was lazy. I followed a search that said these cured the problem for another user and I didn't want dive in and do the work and figure this out.... but that was another day! That was yesterday... Today, I'm a much better person and am actually digging into to try and find the root cause... and I already ordered new hardware...

With the above kexts removed, Bluetooth works identically but I have no WiFi.
Thanks for becoming a better person today ;)
Too bad the test with removing kexts didn't work out and messed up your WiFi. It was worth trying IMO.

Hope your new WiFi card will fix SideCar and Auto Unlock.

Hi all,

first of all big thanks to @CaseySJ for his awesome guide!
Since two days ago I finally installed an XFX Radeon VII on my Hack running 10.15.3
Everything was working fine until today that I noticed what you can see in the video.
This is totally reproducible by turning the display off (either staying idle for 10mins or by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Eject).

Video starts with the display turned off. I press 'esc' to wake it up ...

Anyone else with a similar behaviour??

Thanks,
Takis

In System Preferences --> Sidecar do you see your iPad in the drop-down list, like this?

View attachment 463648

Do not use the USB-C cable that comes with Apple iPad Pro. That cable only supports USB 2.0. We have intentionally disabled USB 2.0 on all USB-C ports on this system. Instead, please use either:
  • Thunderbolt 3 cable.
I'm going to buy this one.

View attachment 463648

• Thunderbolt 3 cable.
Actually, I use the USB-C cable that comes with Apple iPad Pro, and I can't see anything. I'll buy Thunderbolt 3 cable from Apple. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-04-19 alle 22.10.40.png
    Schermata 2020-04-19 alle 22.10.40.png
    258.5 KB · Views: 64
Thanks for becoming a better person today ;)
Too bad the test with removing kexts didn't work out and messed up your WiFi. It was worth trying IMO.

Hope your new WiFi card will fix SideCar and Auto Unlock.
Messing with kexts is fun and if I didn't break it to the point I have to a breakout a bootable backup, that's a win!
Definitely worth trying!

Hello @hamzab,

Sounds like you had a very productive day or two! Let me address your questions one by one:
  • AirDrop has been consistent and reliable for me. For example:
    • Open Photos app on iPhone and select one.
    • Tap the share icon followed by the AirDrop icon.
    • After a couple of seconds my iMac appears.
    • Tap the iMac icon and done.
  • However I just noticed that Continuity Camera is not working on my Test Bench. I'll try my main system later. Because I don't use this very much I hadn't noticed it.
    • Will try to find a solution. At least the problem is reproducible here.
  • It's okay to use all USB ports (except the front panel USB 2 of course).
  • The Anker USB 3 hub is also okay.
    • It's not a self-powered hub so just be watchful of power-hungry USB devices.
    • It's okay to leave it connected at all times.
  • Not sure why changing Sound Output device would affect AirDrop, but hey, welcome to Hackintosh! :)

Back