Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If the error is the same as before ("Error loading kernel cache") then let's try one more thing:
  • sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
  • sudo touch /Library/Extensions
  • Then reboot and log back into standard Catalina (do not run the Catalina updater). This will rebuild all kernel caches.
  • Then try the system update.
  • If this also fails it may be time to unlock MSR 0xE2.

sudo touch /Library/Extensions results in touch: /System/Library/Extensions: Read-only file system... I'm not sure if that means the command failed or what (I've really only used touch to create files). After rebooting and then trying to go through the update again I got the same "Error loading kernel cache"

@jlr

Please take a screenshot of your L/E folder and upload it. Resize it to 1024 to keep it small.

Here ya go:

Attachments

• le.png
    le.png
    493.5 KB · Views: 79
Yeah that was me. NVM33 works well on AIC... But so was NVM23. I just installed NVM50 and it works the same for me. My only devices are UAD satellites and Apollos... They all work with those firmwares. I'm desperately trying to find a way to have it working from cold boot (my MoBo is not compatible with thunderbolt and no headers).

Ah, ok. I plan on installing the card in a system without TB header, too. What I was curious about was, whether NVM33 had fixed the cold/warm boot problem. Thanks for the info :)

No joy. I do find it suspicious that on my MacBookPro (which both Sidecar and Unlock with AppleWatch work on) and CaseyJ's hack that Wi-Fi is en0...
View attachment 463411
WiFi being on en0 should not matter. Location Services, however, must be enabled (System Preferences —> Security and Privacy —> Location Services).

Hello all!

Many thanks to CaseySJ for this guide! I successfully built my first ever hackintosh using it during this past week.

My only problem at this point is I have no Ethernet connection. Both of my Ethernet cards appear in System Report, but they do not detect the Ethernet cable when I plug it in. System Preferences-->Network shows the status of both Ethernet cards as "cable unplugged."

I have tried both Ethernet ports, and I have confirmed that the Ethernet connection from the router is functional by plugging it into my Mac Pro 5,1 where it works well as always.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks!

I have the GC TitanRidge up and going on my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi thanks to this guide, now the only 2 items left on my wish list are Unlock with Apple Watch and SideCar. Looking at CaseySJ's screenshot has left wondering if I have the wrong Broadcom hardware or if my config is still wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 463401
You didn't mention which Broadcom WiFi/BT hardware and macOS version you are using. Do you have a Fenvi FV-T919 or something else? Do you have any broadcom patches or kexts like AirportBrcmFixup installed?

Your System Report > WiFi does not show "Auto Unlock: Supported", which could indicate missing support for the Apple Watch unlocking feature.
EDIT: Apple Support page How to unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch confirms this, see spoiler
Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 18.18.25.png

I also see other small differences that indicate you have different Broadcom hardware. See screenshot below of my WiFi settings (Fenvi FV-T919 on macOS 10.15.4) highlighting differences compared to your screenshot.

I'm just noticing the differences, which hopefully help you in the right direction.
Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 15.40.14.png

Regarding Sidecar not working:
Could be related to your WiFi, but you may try setting shikigva=80 in your Clover Configurator > Boot arguments. This has solved SideCar issues for some.

Last edited:
Ah, ok. I plan on installing the card in a system without TB header, too. What I was curious about was, whether NVM33 had fixed the cold/warm boot problem. Thanks for the info :)
Not tried NVM50 yet so can’t comment on that yet, but I also flashed the Designare NVM33 to my AIC which is in an Asus Z370 Hero X with no TB header.

For me NVM23 worked fine on both ports, but at cold boot would not show any devices connected (USB-C or TB). A quick unplug and replug of the cable at desktop would then populate the device tree but no drivers for my TB3 dock would load until after a warm reboot (my plugable dock has a usb hub, Ethernet, headphone out which populate in the PCI list where it shows when drivers are and are not loaded). After the reboot I still needed to do the unplug / replug for devices to show in the tree but drivers would now be loaded.

With NVM33 I now have connected devices show in the tree from a cold start but still require a warm reboot to get all the drivers for my TB3 dock to correctly load. After the warm reboot I do not have to perform the unplug / replug as the device still shows as connected. NVM33 also seems far better at mounting USB C drives. All 3 of my drives will mount hot plug with this firmware and only 1 did on NVM23 (on either port).

Unfortunately neither of those firmware correctly remounts connected devices after the computer wakes from sleep. Doing a cable unplug / replug immediately connects the device and drivers remain loaded through the sleep / wake cycle.

I am really keen to know what people find with the new NVM50!

Last edited:
Not tried NVM50 yet so can’t comment on that yet, but I also flashed the Designare NVM33 to my AIC which is in an Asus Z370 Hero X with no TB header.

For me NVM23 worked fine on both ports, but at cold boot would not show any devices connected (USB-C or TB). A quick unplug and replug of the cable at desktop would then populate the device tree but now drivers for my TB3 dock would load until after a warm reboot. After the reboot I still needed to do the unplug / replug for devices to show in the tree but drivers would now be loaded.

With NVM33 I now have connected devices show in the tree from a cold start but still require a warm reboot to get all the drivers for my TB3 dock to correctly load. After the warm reboot I do not have to perform and unplug / replug as the device still shows as connected. NVM33 also seems far better at mounting USB C drives. All 3 of my drives will mount hot plug with this firmware and only 1 did on NVM23 (on either port).

Unfortunately neither of those firmwarea correctly remounts connected devices after the computer wakes from sleep. Doing a cable unplug / replug immediately connects the device and drivers remain loaded through the sleep / wake cycle.

I am really keen to know what people find with the new NVM50!

I think that would definitely be a 'Go' for NVM33, thanks for sharing your experience with the FWs.

Here is my TB bus after first cold boot and a flashed GC-TR-AIC to NVM50. While my 4K monitor is working via DP port built into my TS3 dock, the audio out of the dock does not appear to be working. I'm also noticing some sluggishness on my usb keyboard-hooked directly to MB. System profiler is delayed in launch. The USB ports are working on the dock and the thunderbolt out of the port has an old TB1 GoFlex carriage connecting my bootable backup SSD, which is fully working and hot-swap capable. Anything else I should test on this initial cold boot after flashing? I have a feeling the delays will go away after a reboot.

EDIT- More testing- my GoFlex carriage and ssd works (via Apple TB3/TB2 adapter) on TB3 port #2 as well, with hot-swap capability. One note, I can eject the drive whether it's connected to my dock or port 2 on the AIC. The drive will disappear, but after activity stops on the drive and I disconnect the TB3 cable, I get the "Disk not ejected properly" message. I'm not sure if that was happening on NVM23 as I keep this drive connected most of the time- for backups.

NVM50-ColdBoot copy.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all!

Many thanks to CaseySJ for this guide! I successfully built my first ever hackintosh using it during this past week.

My only problem at this point is I have no Ethernet connection. Both of my Ethernet cards appear in System Report, but they do not detect the Ethernet cable when I plug it in. System Preferences-->Network shows the status of both Ethernet cards as "cable unplugged."

I have tried both Ethernet ports, and I have confirmed that the Ethernet connection from the router is functional by plugging it into my Mac Pro 5,1 where it works well as always.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks!
Let's have a look at the following screenshots:
  • System Information --> Ethernet Cards
  • System Preferences --> Network --> then click on each of the two Ethernet cards one by one and grab a screenshot.

Back