Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yes, I've tried that and didn't work. I think the clip was the problem.

Later on, I had a friend come over and help, he ended up soldering all the pins to the chip, managed to flash it successfully.

Now, is thunderbolt supposed to work properly on windows after flashing?
After flashing, Thunderbolt may not work fully under Windows. It may be necessary to boot to macOS first, then warm boot to Windows.

Curious about the flashing procedure: Was the chip unreadable with Raspberry Pi even with PSU connected and power switch on PSU flipped ON (but not main power to motherboard)?

Last edited:
Dear CaseySJ, I know the importance of creating a backup. But at the present situation I was not in a condition to buy new 500GB SSD as the backup drive needs to be same as the OS drive.

I can boot in safe mode though.
I will try doing the steps and get back to you as soon as possible......thanks for helping me
I advise you to buy an external USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 hard drive. My operating system (weighs about 300 GB) through Carbone Cony Cleaner makes a backup in 25 - 30 minutes. Now I do it after each update to the new OS, so that in case of something, roll back.

A 1 TB hard drive now costs about $ 35, but buy it fast with a speed of 7200 rpm. Such a purchase is the price of your peace of mind, which in which case you can roll back.
Please keep in mind that the size of the backup disk does not need to be the same as the original disk. The size of the backup disk, instead, should be at least as large as the Used space on the source disk.

For example, my Test Bench has a 256GB NVMe SSD, but only 71GB is Used. Therefore, a backup disk can be as small as 128GB (or even 96GB if those are available).

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 11.58.44 AM.png

Last edited:
After flashing, Thunderbolt may not work fully under Windows. It may be necessary to boot to macOS first, then warm boot to Windows.

Curious about the flashing procedure: Was the chip unreadable with Raspberry Pi even with PSU connected and power switch on PSU flipped ON (but not main power to motherboard)?

What do you mean by warm boot to windows?

The chip was unreadable with the VCC pin disconnected, I haven't tried to connect the PSU with the VCC disconnected.

I've connected the VCC after that and it worked. Proceeded to do three firmware dumps, checking then writing the modified one.

System information shows me this :
Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 22.04.49.png

Tried to follow your guide for assigning a UID, saved into the SSDT I got from here, rebooted and getting the same result.

Also worth mentioning, no thunderbolt devices work at this moment, not even what was working before.

Am I missing something?

I will give opencore a try I think. It’s the future I guess.
@iDrakus no luck. I managed to boot with OpenCore 0.5.7 but had the same freezing issues unfortunately. there must be a bunch of things that are just buggy with Catalina. I may revert back to Mojave with an older GPU and see how that works out. Would love to stay with my 5700 xt, but it's just not usable right now, and I guess it would only take a day to install Mojave and set up all my apps and prefs again. Next time, I'm going to wait a year before upgrading my hardware and OS to the bleeding edge. :)

What do you mean by warm boot to windows?
This just means boot macOS first, hit Reboot from macOS, and boot into Windows from Clover.
The chip was unreadable with the VCC pin disconnected, I haven't tried to connect the PSU with the VCC disconnected.
If PSU is not connected, then power comes from Raspberry Pi so VCC should be connected. If PSU is connected, then PSU supplies the power, so VCC should be disconnected.
I've connected the VCC after that and it worked. Proceeded to do three firmware dumps, checking then writing the modified one.
If you received a "VERIFIED" message when flashing was done, then you're good.
System information shows me this : View attachment 460201

Tried to follow your guide for assigning a UID, saved into the SSDT I got from here, rebooted and getting the same result.

Also worth mentioning, no thunderbolt devices work at this moment, not even what was working before.

Am I missing something?
Please review the ThunderboltDROM Micro-Guide carefully and re-check all steps. Any previous Thunderbolt SSDT that might be in CLOVER/ACPI/patched must be removed. When modifying the SSDT attached to the Micro-Guide, we must save the file in .AML (ACPI Machine Language) format using MacIASL.

Yes without Thunderbolt firmware flashing... Sorry for the stats !! But I'm happy anyway !!
Thanks! I've added this to Thunderbolt 3 Experiences in Post #1 just under another Sonnet eGFX listing:

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 12.23.04 PM.png

This just means boot macOS first, hit Reboot from macOS, and boot into Windows from Clover.

If PSU is not connected, then power comes from Raspberry Pi so VCC should be connected. If PSU is connected, then PSU supplies the power, so VCC should be disconnected.

If you received a "VERIFIED" message when flashing was done, then you're good.

Please review the ThunderboltDROM Micro-Guide carefully and re-check all steps. Any previous Thunderbolt SSDT that might be in CLOVER/ACPI/patched must be removed. When modifying the SSDT attached to the Micro-Guide, we must save the file in .AML (ACPI Machine Language) format using MacIASL.

Thanks, Casey! At the moment I'm having issues with booting Windows through Clover, I'm not sure why. I have to boot from BIOS.

You were saying somewhere that the chip should be partially readable with the VCC pin disconnected, then connecting the PSU would make it fully readable.

Regarding the micro-guide, am I leaving 0x88 at the beginning or am I calculating a new CRC by changing bytes 3-7 to something random? I originally did that, CRC was different and saved it to the SSDT.

I am honestly not sure how to interpret this "Save this into your Thunderbolt SSDT, in the NHI0._DSM method." Could you give me a hand?

Thank you!

@iDrakus no luck. I managed to boot with OpenCore 0.5.7 but had the same freezing issues unfortunately. there must be a bunch of things that are just buggy with Catalina. I may revert back to Mojave with an older GPU and see how that works out. Would love to stay with my 5700 xt, but it's just not usable right now, and I guess it would only take a day to install Mojave and set up all my apps and prefs again. Next time, I'm going to wait a year before upgrading my hardware and OS to the bleeding edge. :)
I just noticed that you are using iMac Pro 1.1. Change CMBIOS to iMac 19.1 from this topic. Perhaps this will solve your problem.

Thanks, Casey! At the moment I'm having issues with booting Windows through Clover, I'm not sure why. I have to boot from BIOS.

You were saying somewhere that the chip should be partially readable with the VCC pin disconnected, then connecting the PSU would make it fully readable.

Regarding the micro-guide, am I leaving 0x88 at the beginning or am I calculating a new CRC by changing bytes 3-7 to something random? I originally did that, CRC was different and saved it to the SSDT.

I am honestly not sure how to interpret this "Save this into your Thunderbolt SSDT, in the NHI0._DSM method." Could you give me a hand?

Thank you!
Sure... It is easier if you do this:
  • Open the SSDT in the Micro-Guide using MacIASL.
  • On the left side is a hierarchical list of devices and sub-devices.
  • You can expand that until you find RP05 --> UPSB --> DSB0 --> NHI0 or you can just scroll the main window on the right side until you see ThunderboltDROM.
  • Then modify bytes 3-7 directly there, calculate new CRC8 checksum, and enter that in the first byte position.
  • Then select File --> Save.
  • You're done.
  • Copy the file to CLOVER/ACPI/patched and remove the previous Thunderbolt SSDT.

Back