Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm through, all the way to post-installation :)

To get past the gIOScreenLockState line, I added Lilu and WhateverGreen to your CLOVER directory. In the Clover -> Devices/Properties section, I added the entries from your screenshot and :

screen-shot-2019-02-14-at-1-36-13-pm-png.387206

• The Vega power cables are unplugged
  • My monitor is connected to the onboard HDMI
  • Clover/Graphics/Inject Intel is unchecked
  • BIOS Internal Graphics: Enabled
  • BIOS Initial Display Output: IGFX

Interestingly, I didn't get the 2nd reboot. I went straight from the first reboot through to the 10 second countdown graceful reboot.

I'm going to try to get the Vega running this evening.

@CaseySJ, looking for more wisdom and insight, in SMBIOS you are suggesting a 14,2 iMac vs and 18,3 iMac. can you provide some background on the choice? Thanks!

All seems well - I've done most of the post-installation and extra steps and it still boots!

However, I've confused myself about how to get the Vega working. From this thread and Casey's Framebuffer guide, I believe these to be correct. But I am surely wrong because this config doesn't boot to Mojave loading screen :)

Monitor connected to DP port on the Vega
Vega power cables reconnected
BIOS -> Initial Display Output: PCIE Slot 1
BIOS -> Internal Graphics: Enabled
Clover/SMBIOS: iMacPro1,1
Clover/Devices/IntelGFX: 0x0
Clover/Devices/Properties:

Clover/Graphics:

Drivers:

Kexts:

So close... thanks Casey for the great guide :) !! I bought similar hardware and had a go. I failed when following your install part 1, it kept kernel panicking in second part of OS install(tried twice). I managed to get past it by following the generic install guide then after install following Part 2 of your guide. I am mostly working now :) unfortunately I am having 2 issues:

1) it keeps hanging(mouse stops moving, music stops, just locked) when browsing the web in safari. Mostly repeatable by logging into amazon with saved password from keystore. Though spent 4h working in Fusion 360 and no issues, so mostly stable. Any suggestions?

2) No sound with Apple 27" DisplayPort monitor. Not sure if sound is though USB or DisplayPort when plugged into Mac. I have not tried connecting monitor via motherboard and out thunderbolt yet. Need to get more adaptors, so using direct from DisplayPort on GPU via DP to Mini-DP adaptor.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.9 KB · Views: 101
Attached is the Geekbench score I get running mine at 5.2 Ghz max.:mrgreen: It throttles as necessary, but it's pretty fast if I need it. I keep my HW Monitor window open all the time to look at temps and spikes. Best of both worlds since its not always running at 5.2Ghz (consuming power) but jumps up to it when I do something intensive. Mind you, I am using mine as a video server constantly so that I can play my movies across my internal network to 3 or 4 different 4K TVs with Plex Media Server as well as to about 10 other people outside my network on demand over 1Gb Fios. My idle temps with the corsair 150i are about 36C, the EVO is at 45C, and the 4 drive RAID hovers between 34C (non use) to about 40C (in use). I didn't do anything special. Just followed the Gigabyte guide (also attached). Be careful though, wrong settings can fry your processor /and/or your board.:banghead: I love my new Hackintosh as well. Beats buying an iMac Pro for $4,000! And that's before adding my 2TB 970 (ouch!) I just got frustrated with waiting on Apple to make the machine I want. They say this year, but I won't be surprised if the machine we get is the machine "they think" we want instead of the actually machine we want. I had some stuff already, but after pouring about $2000 into this rig, I think I made out.

View attachment 386854

Mine were
Single-Core Score Multi-Core Score
5587 26529

Without overclocking. I guess my question is, IF I wanted to do it, HOW do I do it?

Thanks.

Paul

Mine were
Single-Core Score Multi-Core Score
5587 26529

Without overclocking. I guess my question is, IF I wanted to do it, HOW do I do it?

Thanks.

Paul
See post 1803 in this thread. Happy Hunting!

So close... thanks Casey for the great guide :) !! I bought similar hardware and had a go. I failed when following your install part 1, it kept kernel panicking in second part of OS install(tried twice). I managed to get past it by following the generic install guide then after install following Part 2 of your guide. I am mostly working now :) unfortunately I am having 2 issues:

1) it keeps hanging(mouse stops moving, music stops, just locked) when browsing the web in safari. Mostly repeatable by logging into amazon with saved password from keystore. Though spent 4h working in Fusion 360 and no issues, so mostly stable. Any suggestions?

2) No sound with Apple 27" DisplayPort monitor. Not sure if sound is though USB or DisplayPort when plugged into Mac. I have not tried connecting monitor via motherboard and out thunderbolt yet. Need to get more adaptors, so using direct from DisplayPort on GPU via DP to Mini-DP adaptor.
Not sure about your number 1 but for the Apple 27" DisplayPort monitor, assuming you're talking about the Cinema LED Display (I have one of those too next to my Dell 4K), you should have a DisplayPort cable, a USB cable, and a Magsafe cable on the end of it. Plug the USB cable into your system and its isight camera, brightness display (from keyboard if Apple's) and display audio should then work and show up as inputs and outputs in the sound system preference.

@CaseySJ, looking for more wisdom and insight, in SMBIOS you are suggesting a 14,2 iMac vs and 18,3 iMac. can you provide some background on the choice? Thanks!
During initial installation we prefer to use a fairly generic SMBIOS, one that can accommodate many different Intel CPU generations. UniBeast 9.x.x always starts with iMac 14,2 for this reason. On Designare Z390 we could simply start with Macmini 8,1, but because this guide is being followed by users of slightly different components, it's better to keep the initial installation applicable to a broader set of components.

iMac 18,3 is only recommended for Final Cut Pro and iMovie users because both of these applications rely on Apple's ProGraphics framework, which happens to crash when unless we use a headless platform ID (to turn off video output from IGPU and set Initial Display Output to a PCIe slot) or set Initial Display Output to IGFX and continue using a headed platform ID.

All seems well - I've done most of the post-installation and extra steps and it still boots!

However, I've confused myself about how to get the Vega working. From this thread and Casey's Framebuffer guide, I believe these to be correct. But I am surely wrong because this config doesn't boot to Mojave loading screen :)

Monitor connected to DP port on the Vega
Vega power cables reconnected
BIOS -> Initial Display Output: PCIE Slot 1
BIOS -> Internal Graphics: Enabled
Clover/SMBIOS: iMacPro1,1
Clover/Devices/IntelGFX: 0x0
Clover/Devices/Properties:
View attachment 387762

Clover/Graphics:
View attachment 387763

Drivers:
View attachment 387764

Kexts:
View attachment 387765
Apologies for the late reply... If this problem still exists, please compress and upload your CLOVER folder from the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD. You may boot with the USB install disk (F12 at BIOS splash screen) and choose "Boot macOS from Mojave" at Clover. This will bypass the non-booting Clover installed on the Mojave disk and use, instead, the (working?) Clover from USB flash disk.

The last 3 people who posted their build experiences here have reported problems. I sense a trend. The technology world never stands still, so the procedures that work for 10.14.2 may need to be updated for 10.14.3. This is a long weekend for us in the United States, so I'll make some time to perform a fresh install with 10.14.3 (w/Supplemental Update that fixes FaceTime security bug) and update the guide. It seems at first glance that Lilu and WhateverGreen may be necessary for the USB flash disk.

When it comes to assessing overall system stability, we must look across a broader set of applications. If the instability stems only from one or two apps (such as Final Cut Pro and iMovie) then we have something specific to diagnose. In other words, there's a difference between random crashes everywhere and systemic crashes in specific apps. If you are experiencing the latter, and it's happening only with Safari, then:
  • Does it happen with Google Chrome?
  • Does it happen with Mozilla Firefox?
  • Does it happen if you completely clear all of Safari's Cookes, caches, saved passwords?
  • Does it happen with Safari on your original Mac?

Back