Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

No worries at all, thank you for your help!

Problem still exists. I've backed up the working EFI directory so I can always get back to a working state, using the iGPU with the Vega disconnected.

Here is the complete EFI directory from the Mojave SSD. It looks like the only thing different is that I've set the IntelGFX value to 0x0 and set BIOS Initial Display Output to PCIe slot 1. It looks like the boot fails on the IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, nov 0, sm 0x0 line.

Attachments

• MojaveSSD-EFI.zip
    20.6 MB · Views: 94
I am using Vega 64 in Slot 2. Is it OK to use SSDT - Z390 - VEGA64.aml as it is?
Is there an .aml file of Slot 2 version of SSDT-Z390-VEGA64.aml?

please help me....

Update from testing:
  • When the Vega power cables are connected at all, boot fails. Even without changing anything from my working environment (using onboard HDMI, Initial Display Output: IGFX, Clover/Devices IntelGFX: 0x0 etc.), if I power the Vega - boot fails.
  • With Initial Display Output set to PCIe Slot 1 but the Vega disconnected from the power and monitor connected to onboard HDMI, boot is successful (it must be detecting that there's nothing in PCIe Slot 1 and defaulting to onboard graphics?)
  • Vega 64 .aml file from post #1 doesn't help
  • Custom entries in Clover/Devices (Solution 2 from post #1) also doesn't work

I went for the @CaseySJ list of components with some minor changes, different ram, different gpu, acoustic dampening case from be quiet, water cooling from corsair, 6 HDD and 2 m.2 ssds, with an internal usb motherboard hub for other stuff, otherwise it's the same motherboard and architecture.

Hi @xanderevo, I am about to build this hackintosh, too, which will mainly be used for audio mixing. Therefore, I am looking for the quietest possible solution. This is my first build and I am struggling to choose the best case, power supply and fans for this. As far as I understand, those are the 3 elements which will have the more impact on sound. Though video card can have an impact too?

Would it be possible that you precise exactly which GPU, case, power supply, water cooling system and fans you have chosen?

How much did that change the installation process?

Thank you in advance for your help.

That did it!

I’ll perform the post-install now, and report back.

Thanks again for your help!
Just to confirm everything is working as expected after the post-install routines. I re-enabled the iGPU in the BIOS and didn't get any KP.
Thunderbolt is fully functional (akitio quad X).

Once again thumbs up for that build and huge thanks to Casey for his continuous support here !

Just to confirm everything is working as expected after the post-install routines. I re-enabled the iGPU in the BIOS and didn't get any KP.
Thunderbolt is fully functional (akitio quad X).

Once again thumbs up for that build and huge thanks to Casey for his continuous support here !

Congrats @fenk!! Are you using headless iGPU with display from your RX580 or what is your setup? Thanks

please help

I would guess that you need to modify the .aml file to reference Slot 2. In the first post of this thread, Casey provided two files for his RX580 - one for Slot 1, and one for Slot 2. Maybe you could look at both files and see what's different, and then apply the change to your Vega 64 .aml file. Afraid I can't help any more than that!

Success.

Just an update from a successful build.

Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake CPU - 3.7 GHz
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 C15 BK DC - 4x8GB - 32GB
MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR OC - 8GB GDDR5 RAM
Samsung 970 EVO SSD M.2 2280 - 500GB - OS
Crucial MX500 SSD 2.5" - 500GB - Storage

Universal Audio Apollo Twin (Thunderbolt)

Corsair Hydro H115i High Performance CPU cooler - V
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass - Black/White Cabinet
Corsair RM650x PSU - 650 Watt - 135 mm

Been running for a few days now with no issues at all.
Did not install the BT/WIFI option, don't need it for now.

Thank you for a great build and guide.. This is a real power-horse.. ;-)

Back