Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ, FYI. I have been following the MacRumor's testing TB3 AIC with MP 5,1 thread and saw this post. I didn't know if you've seen it or have it bookmarked. Whatcha think?

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 that I'd like to add TB3 to it so as to share peripherals. (I'm still trying to get my ASUS Z170 working with the EX3 and may have to burn the mod'd f/w on the EX3.)

These Gigabyte Titan Ridge card f/w mods are starting to confuse me WRT whose doing what with the f/w mods.

The GC-Titan Ridge does not need any drivers. It will only require a hot-plug SSDT to be saved in CLOVER/ACPI/patched. We can help you with this once you're ready.
I am ready @CaseySJ
pls send to me hot plug SSDT and EFI folder for
My PC :

MB : Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro WiFi (F12c) | CPU : i9-9900K (@3.60 GHz) | GPU : Sapphire RX 580 8GB | RAM : Kingston HyperX RGB (64 GB) | SSD : Samsung SSD 970 Pro (1TB) Bluetooth & Wifi : ABWB 802.11AC WI-FI With Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-Express (PCI-E) BCM94360CS2 Combo Card | Thunderbolt 3 : GC-Titan Ridge | OS : OSX 10.15.4

Thank you very much for help us
All the best

Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry beforehand if this question is answered beforehand; I tried to find the answer by searching the thread but could not. So decided to ask the question if someone can answer the question and put my mind at ease. I am an User of video apps: Final Cut Pro, also Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and many other such applications and as suggested I want my built to have a headless platform ID in which the discrete GPU drives the display monitor and the iGPU is either disabled or used for compute tasks. So, I am building my brand new Hackintosh with Gigabyte Designare Z390 or Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 + i9 9900K + Sapphire NITRO Plus RX 5700 XT. Will I be ok with RX 5700 XT for the Headless Platform ID? Or which one will be best for the headless build as I need to use video apps majorly on this build and the sole purpose of this machine will be programming and video editing. It will be great if someone can answer the question and help me with suggestions for the build. Thank you!

This is how I have my Jumper in my GC-Titan Ridge card:

I have only had luck with the current GC-TR NVM23 if that helps at all.
I made this simple jumper on the dual THB-C header and connected the other THB-C header on the Titan Ridge :

Jumper.png

( i surrounded with scotch tape before plug it )

Has anyone gotten the LG Ultrafine 5K working without disabling iGPU, on a RX580 (DP cable from motherboard to GPU)?

The closest fix I've see involves slide=1 and MemoryAllocation.efi, but some things aren't clear on that.

Currently I have slide=1, MemoryAllocation.efi, and iGPU disabled, and the PC will boot like that. It hangs with iGPU on, sometimes at a black screen with or without a scrollbar and/or a mouse cursos that won't move.

It isn't clear on a few things. I am using OcQuirks 20.1 and MemoryAllocation.efi. Should I only use MemoryAllocation.efi? I don't know if that counts as a memory fix in which we should only have one, and it boots with both combined as long as iGPU is disabled.

Has anyone gotten the LG Ultrafine 5K working without disabling iGPU, on a RX580 (DP cable from motherboard to GPU)?

The closest fix I've see involves slide=1 and MemoryAllocation.efi, but some things aren't clear on that.

Currently I have slide=1, MemoryAllocation.efi, and iGPU disabled, and the PC will boot like that. It hangs with iGPU on, sometimes at a black screen with or without a scrollbar and/or a mouse cursos that won't move.

It isn't clear on a few things. I am using OcQuirks 20.1 and MemoryAllocation.efi. Should I only use MemoryAllocation.efi? I don't know if that counts as a memory fix in which we should only have one, and it boots with both combined as long as iGPU is disabled.

Is your GPU natively supported? My setup is pretty similar to yours. I'm using an AMD GPU (natively supported), have the IGPU enabled in BIOS (my other BIOS settings like DVMT are the same as in CaseySJ's guide), and my Clover config is (basically) the same as the config-Internal-GPU.plist from the Catalina install guide. On my system, the IGPU configuration works and macOS knows to use the graphics card instead of the IGPU if I have just one Thunderbolt display plugged in to the Designare.

I'm using OcQuirks but not MemoryAllocation.efi, does MemoryAllocation.efi improve anything for you?

@LeSeChe,

Those 4 ports you see in System Information —> Thunderbolt indicate a problem in ThunderboltDROM. I noticed this earlier, but haven’t concretely identified the specific byte or bytes.

However, please try the DROM below for GC-Titan Ridge. You may create a new UID from the first few bytes, but the rest of the DROM should not be altered.

Regarding the other issues listed, now you see why we say that the flashed firmware on Designare Z390 itself performs better than anything else so far!

Code:
                                "ThunderboltDROM",
                                Buffer (0x65)
                                {
                                    /* 0000 */  0x11, 0x02, 0x65, 0xBA, 0x7C, 0x7F, 0x59, 0x00,  // ..e.|.Y.
                                    /* 0008 */  0x00, 0x2D, 0xEA, 0x01, 0xBD, 0x01, 0x58, 0x00,  // .-....X.
                                    /* 0010 */  0x01, 0x00, 0x10, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x08, 0x81,  // ........
                                    /* 0018 */  0x82, 0x02, 0x82, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x08, 0x82,  // ........
                                    /* 0020 */  0x92, 0x01, 0x82, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x08, 0x83,  // ........
                                    /* 0028 */  0x82, 0x04, 0x82, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x08, 0x84,  // ........
                                    /* 0030 */  0x92, 0x03, 0x82, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x05, 0x85,  // ........
                                    /* 0038 */  0x09, 0x01, 0x00, 0x05, 0x86, 0x09, 0x01, 0x00,  // ........
                                    /* 0040 */  0x02, 0x87, 0x03, 0x88, 0x20, 0x03, 0x89, 0x80,  // .... ...
                                    /* 0048 */  0x02, 0xCA, 0x02, 0xCB, 0x0D, 0x01, 0x41, 0x70,  // ......Ap
                                    /* 0050 */  0x70, 0x6C, 0x65, 0x20, 0x49, 0x6E, 0x63, 0x2E,  // ple Inc.
                                    /* 0058 */  0x00, 0x0C, 0x02, 0x4D, 0x61, 0x63, 0x69, 0x6E,  // ...Macin
                                    /* 0060 */  0x74, 0x6F, 0x73, 0x68, 0x00                     // tosh.
                                },

Thanks! That's looking much better with this updated DROM! Screenshot attached

Why does changing the vendor/device name and the buffer size (the 0x65) have that effect?

Attachments

• with updated DROM.png
    with updated DROM.png
    281.8 KB · Views: 97
The Corsair has to be connected to F_USB header on the motherboard. We use USB port splitters to allow multiple devices to connect to the single on-board USB header. Links to splitters are at the top of Post #1 in the Components list.

Hi Casey, the Corsair is connected to the F_USB already. Unfortunately the LiquidCTL does not support my H115 Platinum. It supports the H115, but not the Platinum series. I've contacted Jonas and made myself available to collaborate with him to send any info he would need to incorporate the Platinum to the code.

But the good news is that I've managed to control my temperatures replacing the thermal paste and using OpenCorsairLink to put the pump in Performance mode everytime the systems boots.

Another problem I'm having is when trying to open iCloud pane in System Preferences. It hangs for a while and I get an error saying that there was a problem with iClouds preferences.

In the system log I was able to identify the following messages:

Code:
Apr  3 16:24:59 Hackintoshs-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit
Apr  3 16:25:04 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Apr  3 16:25:04 Hackintoshs-iMac com.apple.preferences.icloud.remoteservice[76038]: objc[76038]: Class ITNSImage is implemented in both /System/Library/Frameworks/iTunesLibrary.framework/Versions/A/iTunesLibrary (0x7fff9bb7c2a0) and /System/Library/CoreServices/SetupAssistantPlugins/iTunes.icdplugin/Contents/MacOS/iTunes (0x10ea1d398). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Apr  3 16:26:07 Hackintoshs-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.preferences.icloud.remoteservice[76038]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by ViewBridgeAuxiliary[371]

Any ideias? All the iCloud services are working perfectly (iMessage, Facetime, iTunes). It only happens when opening iCloud pane in System Preferences.

Thank you Casey

Is your GPU natively supported? My setup is pretty similar to yours. I'm using an AMD GPU (natively supported), have the IGPU enabled in BIOS (my other BIOS settings like DVMT are the same as in CaseySJ's guide), and my Clover config is (basically) the same as the config-Internal-GPU.plist from the Catalina install guide. On my system, the IGPU configuration works and macOS knows to use the graphics card instead of the IGPU if I have just one Thunderbolt display plugged in to the Designare.

I'm using OcQuirks but not MemoryAllocation.efi, does MemoryAllocation.efi improve anything for you?

I have supported iGPU and dGPU, as I use the i9-9900K and Sapphire Pulse RX580.

I added in the MemoryAllocation.efi in an attempt to fix this. I never needed it with a different, non-Thunderbolt 4K monitor from LG, and since I still have to disable iGPU, it might not be doing anything for me at all.

Back