Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi Casey, the Corsair is connected to the F_USB already. Unfortunately the LiquidCTL does not support my H115 Platinum. It supports the H115, but not the Platinum series. I've contacted Jonas and made myself available to collaborate with him to send any info he would need to incorporate the Platinum to the code.
Good plan!
Another problem I'm having is when trying to open iCloud pane in System Preferences. It hangs for a while and I get an error saying that there was a problem with iClouds preferences.
I haven't encountered this personally, but the first suggestions that come to mind are:
  • On a different device (macOS device, iOS device, or iCloud.com) check your iCloud settings to see what devices are registered to the iCloud account. Remove any that are obsolete or erroneous.
  • Then check if your Hackintosh serial number (from "About this Mac") has already been taken. This is done by visiting this Apple site, entering your serial number, and seeing if an ERROR is returned. An error is GOOD, which means no one is using that serial number. If your serial number is in use, generate a new one in Clover Configurator.

Error in attribution! :)

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 3.43.34 PM.png

@CaseySJ Quick update. I restarted my computer after a cold boot, and the USB controller for the Titan Ridge (PEG1 DSB1@1) was initialized! :O The LG UltraFine 5K connected to the Titan Ridge became just as functional as the one connected to the Designare: graphics, brightness, webcam, audio all working. That didn't persist after another cold boot, but restarting fixed it again.
Exactly! That's one of the issues with flashed-firmware on some add-in-cards. Namely, USB may not work on cold boot or it may require a USB-C device to be connected on cold boot.

Some interesting results and effects of testing LG Ultrafine 5K.

I don't actually need MemoryAllocation.efi or slide=1. I wasn't getting any difference with or without it. I don't need to lower DVMT to 32MB either.

I don't think the issue is memmap related, but something in the way Apple handles the GPUs.

I can leave iGPU enabled with DVMT=64MB, though it doesn't actually work as expected, it boots.

I set the platform id to all zeroes. The effect of this is that I assume macOS won't use iGPU at all.

It causes boot to be extremely slow, but it will eventually boot.
I tested both iMacPro1,1 (shiki-id=128) and iMac19,1 (shiki-id=32 with iMacPro1,1 board spoof).

I thought that something to do with headless mode breaks it, so I set the platform id to 0x3E9B0007 which is not headless and it didn't matter. It seems if I use LG Ultrafine 5K+dGPU+iGPU and the OS uses the iGPU, it fails to boot for some odd reason.

Hello @phrfpeixoto
I see so many people asking questions that have been answered before ... have you tried using the search function to
search within this thread? Or checking the index in post #1 to the wealth of guides and tips?

If you did, you would have found that Casey already wrote some guidelines for updating existing Catalina installations to 10.15.4. You can find it here.

Edit:
And I can't stress the importance enough: please make a full bootable backup of your system (and test if you can boot it!), as many people experience issues with the update. You can find a link to a guide for making a bootable backup in post #1 (Going the Extra Mile > Easy Bootable Backup).
Thank you -- always on point!

Hey guys, sorry beforehand if this question is answered beforehand; I tried to find the answer by searching the thread but could not. So decided to ask the question if someone can answer the question and put my mind at ease. I am an User of video apps: Final Cut Pro, also Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and many other such applications and as suggested I want my built to have a headless platform ID in which the discrete GPU drives the display monitor and the iGPU is either disabled or used for compute tasks. So, I am building my brand new Hackintosh with Gigabyte Designare Z390 or Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 + i9 9900K + Sapphire NITRO Plus RX 5700 XT. Will I be ok with RX 5700 XT for the Headless Platform ID? Or which one will be best for the headless build as I need to use video apps majorly on this build and the sole purpose of this machine will be programming and video editing. It will be great if someone can answer the question and help me with suggestions for the build. Thank you!
Hello @anannyo,

Although the RX 5700 XT will certainly do a good job, we believe that Apple's drivers are not yet optimized for NAVI (RDNA) architecture of the RX 5700 XT. The older and discontinued Radeon VII seems to have the best performance on pro A/V apps, particularly with SMBIOS iMacPro 1,1 and possibly with MacPro 7,1.

Hello @phrfpeixoto
I see so many people asking questions that have been answered before ... have you tried using the search function to
search within this thread? Or checking the index in post #1 to the wealth of guides and tips?

If you did, you would have found that Casey already wrote some guidelines for updating existing Catalina installations to 10.15.4. You can find it here.

Edit:
And I can't stress the importance enough: please make a full bootable backup of your system (and test if you can boot it!), as many people experience issues with the update. You can find a link to a guide for making a bootable backup in post #1 (Going the Extra Mile > Easy Bootable Backup).

Hi, I'm very sorry.
But I guess we should agree that this thread is a little bit big, and cumbersome to search. The initial post itself is cumbersome to search! Hit cmd+f and type 10.15.4 and you'll see not mention to the update. Only clean install, and update from MOJAVE

Don't get me wrong, @CaseySJ and all other maintainers of this thread did an amazing job and I'd pay their wages if I could, but still it is difficult to find exact information here. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

If you ask the post where I made my question, I did mention that I searched the OP, but could not find references to the update. On top of that, I've seen discussions where some ppl have failed the update.

I also did try the search, but IMO it's unreliable. At the time of posting that message, I did try searching within this thread, but the results were showing other threads regardless. Right now I get a 403 on any search:

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 20.08.59.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 20.09.11.png

Maybe a good solution would be to maintain a list of notable posts within this thread?

Last edited:
This completely fixed the problem!

If you have already installed 10.15.4 and you're seeing extra or leftover Install macOS... boot volumes at the Clover Boot Menu, do this:
  1. Download the 10.15.4 Combo Update. Click here. It's about 4.7GB.
  2. Double-click the .dmg file and double-click the installer located inside.
    View attachment 458463
  3. After a little while you'll see the window below. Click Restart.
    View attachment 458464
  4. Be patient. The progress bar can move slowly and it may seem stuck. But just give it some time.
  5. You should expect 2 restarts including the one triggered by you when you click Restart.
@CaseySJ, I think this issue and solution would be a valuable addition to your excellent 10.15.4 mini-guide, and your 10.15.4 update guidelines.

No rush, but i might just save you a few questions down the road ;-)

Back