Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ, congrats on the gold build and thanks for starting something big in the space, so many people helped.

I have not yet incorporated the latest updates, I'm gun shy as my systems is operating very nicely. I do have a question on the latest updates, looks like some/more drivers are being placed on the Mac OS partition in /l/e. Is that placement for functionality, a preference or what? Would leaving the Mac OS partition as untouched as possible limit future risks with updates? Thanks in advance.
After reading jaymonkey's guide, it became clear that for long term system stability all third party kernel extensions should be installed in /L/E. A min set of kexts can and should remain in CLOVER/kexts/Other for booting into Recovery or installing system updates. For example, Lilu/WhateverGreen/IntelMausiEthernet might be needed to activate on-board HDMI and Ethernet when booting to Recovery.

I'm contemplating moving from the cosmetic ssdt approach that we were working on as you were making the latest updates over this your config (of course backups will be involved!!!), before taking that plunge a couple of questions:
  • the guid section "UHD 630 to Drive HDMI and DP Monitors" - is this detail and background for the above "Injecting Audio and Enabling On-Board HDMI" section or additional updates? looking at the device names section "purely cosmetic" helps clarify.
In Using the UHD 630 to Drive HDMI and DP Monitors there's a link to the general connector patching guide, which explains the procedure for enabling HDMI and DVI ports on "current" motherboards (best for owners of 7th, 8th, and 9th Gen CPUs). The section entitled Injecting Audio and Enabling On-Board HDMI provides ready-made patches for both audio and framebuffer for Designare Z390. Because this Guide is referenced by owners of other motherboards, they will benefit from the link to the general connector patching guide.

• guide considerations .... towards the end of the core build you show the various directories with post-install files dropped in place. Would you be able to include similar screen grabs at the end of the guide once all work is applied? Also Showing the FractalDesign R6 would rock!
Final Steps in Post-Installation will be updated momentarily.

Thanks for the tip - what should it be instead of En0?

Furthermore it seems my sleep/awake issue is gone if I disable iGPU in Bios (actually I set it to "auto", which seems to have the same effect). FCP then also works (but without acceleration).

Also I am wondering if perhaps this might be important:

"We must change model name RX5xx or Vegaxx to AMD RX5xx or AMD Vegaxx."

Would this be the way to implement that model name change in clover config?
View attachment 387290
The section Injecting Audio and Enabling On-Board HDMI contains a config.plist snippet that renames the AMD GPU and provides PCI names for both the iGPU and Realtek ALC-1220VB audio controller.

Thanks! Here are my settings. Disclaimer: Use these settings at your own risk. It hasn't fried me yet though!:crazy: I did back off my overclock back to an even 5.0Ghz after getting one or two messages per day about overheating from HW Monitor. And please know that I did not do all the Prime testing recommended. Just haven't had the time yet but it is stable enough so that I can run 20 or more programs without overheating the system or causing a panic attack.View attachment 387250View attachment 387251View attachment 387252View attachment 387253View attachment 387254View attachment 387255
Thanks so much @Hackintoshron Will try this soon as I get back home. So excited! Thankssss!!!!!

when I apply this, name of graphics card changes from Amd Radeon Vega 64 to Radeon RX Vega 64 in 'About this Mac'

Do you think this can affect performance, or is just cosmetic?

@ummario,

It's purely a cosmetic issue ... nothing to worry about.

Cheers
Jay

Finally I moved the Hackintosh to its proper location in the home office next to the managed Zyxel switch. After connecting two Ethernet cables and configuring 802.3ad LACP (link aggregation), the Intel i211 port is not responding. This is the same result that you reported one month ago!

I tried an alternative SmallTreeIntel driver, but it also fails to participate in a bonded virtual network in Network Preferences. So for now I have modified Post #1 to indicate that link aggregation is not currently possible with the i211 Ethernet port.

View attachment 387229
Fortunately, my OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock also has a Gigabit Ethernet port, and if I combine that port with the motherboard's Intel i219, voilĂ ! It works...
View attachment 387403
I have although a zyxel switch! I had first to Manage the LACp in the switch. Than Bond the Ethernet in MAC! It works perfect in my system! With driver from Post 1

I have although a zyxel switch! I had first to Manage the LACp in the switch. Than Bond the Ethernet in MAC! It works perfect in my system! With driver from Post 1
Wow, really?? Are you using link aggregation mode STATIC or LACP in your Zyxel? Would you mind posting screenshot of System Preferences —> Network —> Advanced?

I just wanted to say thanks for this post. My hackintosh build was a success. I was banging my head against the wall for days until I found this post. Got everything working dual booting Windows 10 and Mojave. Though I may convert the dual NVMe drive into a RAID 0 and just run Windows in Parallels now that macOS is up and running. This thing is a beast an crushes benchmarks, and I haven't even started working on the overclock yet.

I did need to reference these other two posts to get the Vega 64 fans to run at normal speeds.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/vega-64-on-mojave-temperature-and-fan-issue.266215/
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325120-vega-frontier-edition-on-high-sierra/?page=6

I didn't install a WiFi or Bluetooth adapter, so I was going to order the ones referenced in this post. Does anyone know if Handoff works with these ones? I saw another adapter which supposedly Handoff works but it was may more expensive. This one.

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming mATX Motherboard
G Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200MHz Memory

Intel i9-9900K Processor
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler

Samsung 970 Pro 500GB SSD - Windows 10
Samsung 970 Pro 500GB SSD -macOS Mojave
HDD: HGST 4TB

MSI Vega 64 Air Boost Graphics Card
Evga Supernova 850 PSU
Thermaltake Level 20 VT Case

Attachments

• CPU speed.PNG
    CPU speed.PNG
    99.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Disk Speed.PNG
    Disk Speed.PNG
    292.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Graphics.PNG
    Graphics.PNG
    108.1 KB · Views: 81
@zeer0c0ol, welcome to the forum! The WiFi/Bluetooth adapter mentioned in the build guide (BCM94360CS2) is natively supported by the MacOS (no drivers needed) and works with everything -- Handoff, Continuity, AirDrop, etc. The Broadcom 94360CS2 wireless card is offered by many vendors. Some vendors provide the wireless card preinstalled on a PCIe x1 adapter. This preinstalled option can save you a lot of hassle.

The product referenced in your link (by OSXWiFi) will work, but is very expensive. There are many cheaper alternatives that are just as good.

Is a different USB patch needed for 10.14.3 or the 10.14.3 supplemental update ?
It seems my installer has the supplemental update already applied, and my keyboard (old apple one) on HS09 or HS10 is inactive once the mojave installer is loaded.
It's working on the HS07 hub though, so not sure it's a big issue.

I've had numerous Phase 2 fails using a SanDisk Ultra Fit 64G usb key, it went a bit further after I switched to a lexar CF card reader and - ironically - a Sandisk CF.
I managed to reach the end of phase 2, and got a KP on the graceful reboot. I can now select 'boot from Mojave' in Clover, but gets KP every time (can't see what happens exactly though). Since I have no recovery partition available I suspect the install was not totally successful.

Need a break now cause I've been battling for hours, but if you guys have some ideas on what I could try next this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Wow, really?? Are you using link aggregation mode STATIC or LACP in your Zyxel? Would you mind posting screenshot of System Preferences —> Network —> Advanced?
I have to correct myself, I connected everything it is not working correctly. it just takes one port, but calls it lacp.
I will ask a friend, maybe he has an idea.
Big Sorry! We will all work on it

Back