Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ, I have a Z390 Designare MB and a Intel NUC8i7HVK, I found that the NUC(alpine ridge) supports native TB3 mode just in running a script, anyway is that any the same way to enable the native TB3 mode instead of flashing via CH341A?
hope for your reply. thanks

Hey all, I'm finally trying to upgrade from Mojave to Catalina and I'm having some issues.

First off, I downloaded the latest versions of Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC, and placed them in CLOVER/kexts/Other and /Library/Extensions. I then ran Kext Utility. I also disabled everything in Kernel and Kext Patches and then I saved the config.

I ran the Catalina installer, restarted, chose Boot MacOS Install from Samsung, and then got the the issue in the attached image.

I've been searching around but have limited things to go off of... any suggestions? I've tried running the install app again, but upon restart I get the same issue.

Did you accidently-on purpose reset the CMOS after modding the Z390 to enable NVRAM?

See this.
And this.

FWIW, at this point, I am not using the native NVRAM method. My mobo, my choice. But this mobo/setup is really stable and so I may do the mod again later on...
Okay, just a starting point, but you should:
  1. Move the (hackintosh) kexts to boot disk/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other
  2. Change your "config Clover Configurator<System Parameters<Inject Kexts tab=Yes (or Detect.) and hit Save.
  3. Remove the duplicates in L/E and/or S/L/E with whatever tool you use. Just make sure to run this command before you restart via Terminal:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Press Return, follow prompts.

sudo kextcache -i /

4. Press Return, wait for it to finish, then Restart.

Last edited:
*** Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide for ASRock Z390/Z370 ITX/ac ***
Credit: @Elias64Fr and @mango1122
Please do not quote this micro-guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.

Hi Casey - Quick note on this one. Today I moved my motherboard back into my case. To my surprise after powering on the unit the TB tree disappeared. The BIOS had reset to default. Looking around for a long time - I managed to get the tree back by changing the BIOS setting under TB to 'exactly' as per the pic. Any deviation and the tree wouldn't show up. The most important step seems to be setting Thunderbolt USB Support to Enabled.

P:S - Would you also update your repository with the patched firmware please ?

Attachments

• PIC 6.jpeg
    PIC 6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
  • ASRock_z390_ITX_Patched_NVM20_try1.bin.zip
    213.6 KB · Views: 65
@Elias64Fr: I tested all three files. All have a same result: RP05 is empty (with Alpine ssd, without Alpine ssdt, with and without connected device). No info in SysInfo => PCI/Thunderbolt. Other RPxx do not have the TB too.

I'm ready for the next tests :) Thank you!

I hope you've sorted this one out. If not - look here (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...tb3-igpu-mojave-sff-build.277418/post-2092659). Try setting the TB properties to exactly the same as in the pic. I had the same issues (different board and card) and this solved it for me.

@jiffyslot Tried all night last night trying get nvram to work on mine in desperate attempts that it may have something to do with thunderbolt. Couldnt get it to boot without emuvariablex64.efi. So, good news that it works without it. Thanks for the patch! Just got Catalina working so hopefully im nearing UAD paydirt, fingers crossed.

edit: IT WORKS! Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:
Hello @dolgarrenan,
Many thanks for the info about Telegram using hardware acceleration. Does "disabling GPU hardware acceleration" means disabling the animations in the "Performance" settings?
Not really, I use these kinds of apps without and I can barely see the difference (not that I use them allot), discord has the same feature and I think Spotify had it too

Hello, Casey!. I was one of your first to follow your guide. The hackintosh still works as a beast :)

But I am getting mad to install Windows on a new separate SSD. When I try to run a bootable Windows pen drive, it gives me an error during the installation blue screen ..looks like it is missing some drivers when i try to create a win boot using commands method...and if i try unetbootin i got stuck on blue screen installation with error 0x8007000D... can I know what you did to have 2 different OS on 2 different hard drives. I have your same hardware ..Thank you so much
do you have access to a windows computer that you can prepare a new USB installer on?

Hi guys, @CaseySJ,

Please help, this morning I woke up to my build no longer booting.
I see this when setting the -v flag on clover

IMG_20200330_083545.jpg

Yesterday I tried to boot a Windows 10 "live CD" but it did not work. I didn't disconnect my drive because being a live image, I didn't expect it to mess my disks.

After that I simply shut down the computer, and didn't use it until now.

EDIT: Booting now from a backup I had on a mechanical disk, and will try to replace the EFI folder on my SSD. Backup looks quite old. Is there a way to fix this without the backup?

Last edited:
Back