Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello, Casey!. I was one of your first to follow your guide. The hackintosh still works as a beast :)

But I am getting mad to install Windows on a new separate SSD. When I try to run a bootable Windows pen drive, it gives me an error during the installation blue screen ..looks like it is missing some drivers when i try to create a win boot using commands method...and if i try unetbootin i got stuck on blue screen installation with error 0x8007000D... can I know what you did to have 2 different OS on 2 different hard drives. I have your same hardware ..Thank you so much
Hello @logritm,

Oh yes those early days with you, @NoiseCoalition, @ndrik, @ripe_md, and a few other brave souls who built this system before the official guide was created!

To install Windows, we actually need to remove the macOS NVMe SSD. System must be powered off and switch on PSU should also be OFF. Yes it's inconvenient, but that's what you get with Windows... (couldn't resist).

In fact, all MacOS disks must be disconnected, and Windows NVMe SSD should be installed in the M2M M.2 slot closest to the CPU.

Then begin Windows installation.

When Windows has been fully installed and verified, macOS NVMe SSD should be installed in the lower M2P slot.

The only real thing I can say is that the lockups happen when working with audio or video apps, and usually happen after 5-6 hours of working. Heat doesn’t appear to be the issue though Unfortunately.
Are you keeping an eye on CPU and GPU temperatures? It might also be a good idea to run Intel Power Gadget which displays continuous graphs of power and temperature. Just leave that running somewhere on the side and look for any abnormal spikes after those 5 or 6 hours of work, or whenever a crash occurs.

Hi @CaseySJ and @EliM.

I have the iGPU running in headless mode using ig-platform-id=0x3E980003 in Clover 5107.

I'm using shikigva=16 and could not run Netflix on Safari, but the Brave browser based on the Chrome engine will play if I load the Widevine extension.

Setting shikigva=80 allows Netflix in Safari (my prefered browser) but then Sidecar which I tend to watch Netflix in, connects but black screens. One step forward, one backwards.

Any idea how to fix this would be very welcome.
Okay I'm gonna ask the obvious question: If you're watching Netflix in Sidecar, why not just run the Netflix app on the iPad? :)

followed every step in clover configurator but hit an issue.. I only have a drivers folder not a drivers64 View attachment 458269
Because you're installing Mojave and have most likely used the latest UniBeast or MultiBeast, you are running Clover 5xxx instead of 4xxx. In Clover 5xxx there is no drivers64UEFI folder. Instead, perform all those steps in drivers/UEFI folder.

Hi @CaseySJ, I have a Z390 Designare MB and a Intel NUC8i7HVK, I found that the NUC(alpine ridge) supports native TB3 mode just in running a script, anyway is that any the same way to enable the native TB3 mode instead of flashing via CH341A?
hope for your reply. thanks
Hello @lazalee,

Welcome to the forum! On Alpine Ridge systems such as the Intel NUC 8, an SSDT alone can fully activate Thunderbolt Bus. But on Titan Ridge systems such as the Designare Z390, this is far more difficult. We already spent weeks or months and made a lot of progress, but we were not successful. We might return to this, but there's no telling when or if this approach will succeed.

Hi Casey - Quick note on this one. Today I moved my motherboard back into my case. To my surprise after powering on the unit the TB tree disappeared. The BIOS had reset to default. Looking around for a long time - I managed to get the tree back by changing the BIOS setting under TB to 'exactly' as per the pic. Any deviation and the tree wouldn't show up. The most important step seems to be setting Thunderbolt USB Support to Enabled.

P:S - Would you also update your repository with the patched firmware please ?
Hello @mango1122,

Seems I forgot to add those files to the Repository! Will do that now.

I'll add a note to enable Thunderbolt USB support.

Hello, Casey!. I was one of your first to follow your guide. The hackintosh still works as a beast :)

But I am getting mad to install Windows on a new separate SSD. When I try to run a bootable Windows pen drive, it gives me an error during the installation blue screen ..looks like it is missing some drivers when i try to create a win boot using commands method...and if i try unetbootin i got stuck on blue screen installation with error 0x8007000D... can I know what you did to have 2 different OS on 2 different hard drives. I have your same hardware ..Thank you so much
aAfter you remove your OS X drive from your computer, as CaseySJ recommended, and install the drive you will install Windows on, try your USB drive again. I suspect you should try re-creating the USB stick with unebootin and see if the second attempt works. Did you download a new copy of the Windows 10 iso from Microsoft's website for creating the first USB installer?

@CaseySJ @faithie999 @logritm I'm not sure if you'd be interested but I used this method for installing Windows a few times and it turned out great. I replaced VMWare with Parallels however.

In short you run Windows in a VM and use an app in the VM called WinToUSB that installs Windows to the an external drive.

EDIT: Whoops we posted at the same time. Can confirm the method works very well. The only hang up was learning to use the VM.

sadly no and i am in italy ( quarantine )
Have you considered installing Windows in a virtual machine such as VMWare Fusion for Mac?

If you need a native installation of Windows, but don't have a Windows PC, you can:

Option 1:
Download the Windows 10 ISO disk image to the Mac. Download and run Balena Etcher to save it to a USB flash disk. Then boot from the USB flash disk (press F12 at BIOS splash screen).

Option 2:
Install the trial version of VMWare Fusion and install Windows inside the VM. Then create a Windows 10 install disk by using Microsoft Media Creation Tool.

Disclaimer: I haven't tested these methods so feel free to try and let us know how it goes...

Hi @CaseySJ
Following back up on the 4 wake codes that I was continuously receiving throughout the night

The errors seem to be the below four from most common:

1) (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI
2) [powerd:sleepWake] Wake reason: "private” identity: "private”
3) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PEG1 PEGP PEG2 PEGP PXSX RP03 PXSX UPSB DSB0 NHI0 DSB1 DSB2 XHC5 DSB4 RP06 PXSX RP07 PXSX RP08 PXSX PXSX RP10 PXSX RP11 PXSX R
4) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

WHAT I HAVE FOUND SO FAR:

Above the 'Private' code (2) in the logs I am always getting this right before:

[powerd:sleepWake] AppWoke:com.apple.bluetoothd-blueavengers Reason:BlueAvengers: Toggle beacon state

The XDCI code (1) is actually happening every time when the computer shuts off for sleep based off of the time stamps— is that normal?

The other two codes (3,4) I have not had since restarting my computer and doing a fresh install. Things I have done differently so far:
1) Fresh install - did NOT do migration assistant
2) have NOT connected to any apple services including iCloud yet

Culprit for errors 3 and 4 are likely one of the above

Is it possible to pin this somewhere as there are likely other people that have same errors and working with people might help me solve a little faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back