Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

So, 19.10 wouldn't do it? I just installed it....and it does see the TB software and my test TB drive.....
Good to know that 19.10 also supports Titan Ridge. I just want the latest and greatest... :)

A little bit off topic...

My absolutely dream came true today! I found cheap an 3175X + Dominus Extreme...
Everything together for 1500 Euros, will setup macOS and will be back in the game.

Cheers guys :) Cant wait to test the Thunderbolt AIC Card in it.

This is the general consensus, namely modified NVM23 performs better than modified NVM43.

We had a long discussion about this a couple days ago. One of my systems has the problem problem; the other does not. Never figured out why. Fortunately, once CRC32_C has been calculated for a particular card or motherboard, it does not change. If you need a CRC32_C calculated for you, just post the DROM string starting from Byte 14. The first 13 bytes are not used for CRC32_C.

I don't quite understand why the on-line calculator doesn't work for this section when I check the values. I like to know how to calculate CRC32_C. Is there a special way of setting up the data for CRC32_C?

@CaseySJ ,
Had a random late night/stoned thought, could part of ThunderboltConfig be the security level of the device? It was my understanding that for most add-in-card the TB3 header cable needed to be attached to set security/legacy settings etc in bios. Or is this is already handled with the custom firmware flash?

From what I understand the cable does transmit the setting you set up in your BIOS, It also forces the card to power. However, once we modify the firmware, I am not sure how much those settings actually affect the card. For example I saw no difference when I turn off force power because my cable is not connected and I use the 3/5 pin jumper to force power. Maybe I see no difference because I am not using the cable.

I don't quite understand why the on-line calculator doesn't work for this section when I check the values. I like to know how to calculate CRC32_C. Is there a special way of setting up the data for CRC32_C?
If we knew that, we would have put it into all of the Micro-Guides! It seems macOS may be changing some of the DROM bytes at runtime and calculating a new checksum. Apple's own DROM checksum matches what we get with CRC32_C online calculator, but our DROM checksums fail.

I wonder if a devilish Apple dev decided to calculate the CRC32 by reversing the order of all the bytes in the calculation, some other manipulation.

Found a problem with the SSDTs in the both the GC-Titan Ridge and GC-Alpine Ridge Micro-Guides. Both posts have been updated with the fixed SSDT.

Please try the attached version to see if USB 2.0 ports work on the GC-Alpine Ridge.

Also test USB-C port on your iStyle, but this change might not affect that device.

All work like in my MacBook Pro. Tried all combinations and possibilitys, all the time hotplug.
Nothing more to say. @NorthAmTransAm, @CaseySJ respect and thank you!
Hoping next step will be: drivers for this firmware for windows and linux.
:shifty:

@CaseySJ ,
Had a random late night/stoned thought, could part of ThunderboltConfig be the security level of the device? It was my understanding that for most add-in-card the TB3 header cable needed to be attached to set security/legacy settings etc in bios. Or is this is already handled with the custom firmware flash?
We're still trying to decode ThunderboltConfig, but based on the results produced so far with flashed firmware and customized DROM, I'm not sure how important the rest of ThunderboltConfig is. We know that Byte 1 is the Thunderbolt Bus ID, which must match Byte 2 of DROM. And we know that the last 4 bytes represent the USB-C port numbers.

I don't think that Security Level would be encoded in ThunderboltConfig. It might be encoded in the first block of the Thunderbolt firmware. We don't necessarily need to connect the J1 header cable. But we do need to tie pins 3 and 5 to force the card to power on.

A little bit off topic...

My absolutely dream came true today! I found cheap an 3175X + Dominus Extreme...
Everything together for 1500 Euros, will setup macOS and will be back in the game.

Cheers guys :) Cant wait to test the Thunderbolt AIC Card in it.
That is a beast of a board! If you create a thread for that build, please point us to it.

I wonder if a devilish Apple dev decided to calculate the CRC32 by reversing the order of all the bytes in the calculation, some other manipulation.
I already tried reversing the bytes -- no dice!

Back