Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

It certainly could be. I'm running a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre thunderbolt audio interface. I didn't see it on the officially supported list on this thread, but, so far, these issues aside, it's worked without issue using a legit Apple thunderbolt adaptor.

Thank you Casey. I've just removed the RX 5700 XT, and switched over to iGPU with your config. I'll report back with updates.
i have done a silly amount of reading and searching for a solution for my freezing issues. The more I look into it, the more it points towards the 5700 XT.

Recently I’ve been searching on Mac forums and people who’ve been trying to use 5700 series cards on their Mac Pro 2019 machines are experiencing the same thing and just removing them as they are unusable - same freezing issues as us. I see the same comments on forums for egpu users trying out 5700 cards with MacBooks. It seems to narrow down further to people using the cards in audio and/or video apps, or chrome browser and users with 2 or more screens. As others have mentioned and already suggested, it might be best to just wait until these cards are fixed or fully supported on Catalina. With certain tasks it seems the cards don’t care, and other apps or tasks they get angry and freeze up. I think some users just don’t trigger the freezes like some others do with certain types of apps and/or number of screens attached.

Luckily I’m going to be away for a couple of weeks so hopefully there’s an update when I get back (unlikely). I think I’m going to find an old rx 580 to use until the 5700 is properly supported as it may take a while. I have owned my 5700 for too long to return it and I’ll just lose money by trying to sell it at this point, and I can find a used 580 for cheap and keep it as a backup card or something.

For example,

-when I’m using Cubase and I look at my GPU usage in activity monitor it‘s pretty close to zero. Then when I open up the interface of certain audio plugins - just 1 instance, the graphics usage of the 5700 jumps up to 30-40%. That’s pretty bad.

-When I open Ableton Live 10, the whole application lags quite badly on the graphics side. It’s like the audio is running smoothly, but the graphics lag behind, and just clicking on things takes time - so much that you think you didn’t click it, but then the GUI responds a little later.

-When I Remote Desktop in from another machine, things are ok, but when I launch an application during the Remote Desktop session, the GUI becomes so slow that it is unusable. This seems to happen with any app I’ve tried so far.

- The OPENCL and Metal benchmarks seem pretty low compared to the performance that 5700 cards are getting on Windows machines. They seem to be no more powerful than rx 580 cards, so they aren’t really an upgrade at this point anyway.

Hi @CaseySJ,

Thanks for send files !

I called each setting CONF01 to CONF3, in order to files, for the following clarifications (MELD 3.19.2 (r5) app used Here) :

We can see on first screenshot that RP05 have same registers configuration for both CONF.
On second screenshot, there is some issue with UP18, UP19 and UP1A data on CONF03, all these registers which define current and sub-devices are all null value. Probably due to Uncorrectable error tagged on Device Status register.
On last screenshot, we have confirmation that there is no sub devices (DSB0..) appearing on this files (don't know why you have all TNode/TBus populated with that ! ).
@CaseySJ
and for CONF02 to CONF01 compare :

On first screenshot, there is tagged Correctable error on Device Status register of CONF02 (don't know why this is not corrected :lol:.. in fact this conf doesn't work).

On UpStreamBridge (second screenshot), differencies are on CLKPM (Clock PM) and CommClk (Common Clock) bits disabled on Link Control register of CONF02.

On DownStreamBridge0 (third screenshot), CONF02 has this device on D3 state (inactive state). There is another difference on CommClk bit configuration !

On last screenshot, optionally for our need, we can see that CONF02 Cache Line Size is not defined on XHC2 controller. Like CommClk is not same.

Conclusion: some work is required to correctly setting all theses registers ;)! This might help us for Thunderbolt full tree populating.

Another ACPIDebugLog required for our progressing work.. at begin and end of ICMB method
Code:
            DBG2 ("NH00- Read VID/DID =", NH00)
            DBG2 ("XH00- Read VID/DID =", XH00)
            DBG2 ("RP18 =", RP18)
            DBG2 ("RP19 =", RP19)
            until RP28
            same for other sub-devices
Thanks @Elias64Fr! Great analysis, as always!

Will add those ACPI Debug statements at the beginning and end of ICMB method and provide the logs to you this evening.

Hey
@CaseySJ,

I built my first hackintosh to your specs (except for an i9-9900), and it worked perfectly until an issue with the Thunderbolt 3/USB-c which stopped working. Upon trying to fix things and restarting, I am getting this...

Apologies in advance as I am very much a beginner. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would hate to have to wipe the boot drive and start over again, if possible to avoid that.

-- Austin
Hello @atz1995,

Please try the following:
  • Perform a CMOS Reset according to the Designare User Manual. This means turning off the power and pulling the plug from the wall. Then short the two designated pins with a flathead screwdriver. After powering up the system, go to BIOS Setup configure the parameters again starting with Load Optimized Defaults.
  • Boot macOS and see if the problem still occurs.
If the problem is still present, the boot the system with the USB install disk (or your bootable backup disk). Be sure to press F12 at BIOS Splash Screen and choose the USB (or bootable backup) disk. Then mount EFI partition of the macOS SSD and compress/upload the CLOVER folder. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS of config.plist prior to uploading.

i have done a silly amount of reading and searching for a solution for my freezing issues. The more I look into it, the more it points towards the 5700 XT.

Recently I’ve been searching on Mac forums and people who’ve been trying to use 5700 series cards on their Mac Pro 2019 machines are experiencing the same thing and just removing them as they are unusable - same freezing issues as us. I see the same comments on forums for egpu users trying out 5700 cards with MacBooks. It seems to narrow down further to people using the cards in audio and/or video apps, or chrome browser and users with 2 or more screens. As others have mentioned and already suggested, it might be best to just wait until these cards are fixed or fully supported on Catalina. With certain tasks it seems the cards don’t care, and other apps or tasks they get angry and freeze up. I think some users just don’t trigger the freezes like some others do with certain types of apps and/or number of screens attached.

-When I open Ableton Live 10, the whole application lags quite badly on the graphics side. It’s like the audio is running smoothly, but the graphics lag behind, and just clicking on things takes time - so much that you think you didn’t click it, but then the GUI responds a little later.

I misspoke, it looks like I have until the 17th to return this card, which I will likely do. I haven't had any issues today since I switched to the iGPU, but... the problem is so random/hard to duplicate that I can't say for certain the 5700 was the cause.

I too have noticed similar issues with my 5700 installed in Ableton. Sometimes it behaves, other times clicking on even track names lags for a few seconds. I haven't seen this behavior now that I'm on the iGPU, however, I have noticed on the iGPU, Ableton's consolidate screen turns completely grey sometimes. Kind of weird. I didn't see that on the 5700.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I have my old Nvidia 1080, which supposedly you can kinda make work, but you don't get hardware acceleration - so, that's probably a bad idea. The 580 card seems like a huge step backward compared to the RX 5700 XT card, and while I don't game often, I do occasionally under windows. I have been considering going to a Vega 64, but I've heard there are issues with fans/noise, and the last time I tried a Vega 64, I had similar hard-lock issues (granted that was over a year ago, on High Seirra).

I'm thinking the Vega 64 may be the best bet for me to switch to. Assuming I can find one without fan/noise issues, that's stable under Catalina, and works with dual monitors.

Hello @atz1995,

Please try the following:
  • Perform a CMOS Reset according to the Designare User Manual. This means turning off the power and pulling the plug from the wall. Then short the two designated pins with a flathead screwdriver. After powering up the system, go to BIOS Setup configure the parameters again starting with Load Optimized Defaults.
  • Boot macOS and see if the problem still occurs.
If the problem is still present, the boot the system with the USB install disk (or your bootable backup disk). Be sure to press F12 at BIOS Splash Screen and choose the USB (or bootable backup) disk. Then mount EFI partition of the macOS SSD and compress/upload the CLOVER folder. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS of config.plist prior to uploading.

Reset all the Bios and set it up again following the guide... no luck... I have since booted with the USB install disk and I can't seem to get the EFI partition to load.. No matter what I do, I've tried in terminal as well.

Thanks @Elias64Fr! Great analysis, as always!

Will add those ACPI Debug statements at the beginning and end of ICMB method and provide the logs to you this evening.
Thanks @CaseySJ !
If you could also take screenshot of current BIOS setting related to Thunderbolt and PCIe PM/ASPM, that will be much appreciated :)

Reset all the Bios and set it up again following the guide... no luck... I have since booted with the USB install disk and I can't seem to get the EFI partition to load.. No matter what I do, I've tried in terminal as well.
When you boot with the USB install disk (by pressing F12 at BIOS splash screen), does the Clover Boot Menu appear?

If not, please insert the USB disk into a working Hack or a Mac and mount its EFI partition. Does that partition exist? Does it contain an EFI Folder and a CLOVER folder inside the EFI Folder?

Thanks @CaseySJ !
If you could also take screenshot of current BIOS setting related to Thunderbolt and PCIe PM/ASPM, that will be much appreciated :)
Certainly -- will do!

Last edited:
... I haven't had any issues today since I switched to the iGPU, but... the problem is so random/hard to duplicate that I can't say for certain the 5700 was the cause.
Time will tell. Because you have until the 17th to return the card, if the computer is stable throughout the weekend while running on IGPU, then that's a good enough determination that the RX 5700 XT is the culprit.

Is there a RX 5700XT that works on any system so far?
The Powercolor RX 5700XT I used seem to work on Asus Prime X299-A but gave problem on Gigabyte Z390 Designare.

Back