Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Thanks so much, that was it! Could have sworn I saw somewhere else in this thread that it needed to be disabled haha. I'd suggest that as an edit to the mini-guide :)
We disable that setting for the new experimental Thunderbolt SSDT (which is not yet ready for prime time).

Please see attached, have deleted SMBIOS info.
Would it be a good idea to reflash the bios? I think that will reset NVRAM. Then I can optimise settings again and check for native NVRAM.
  • When you Reset CMOS yesterday, that had the effect of clearing NVRAM.
  • It's possible that MSR 0xE2 has become locked again. It would be good to double-check it:
    • setup_var_3 0x5c1
    • Return value should be 0 if it's disabled
  • You may also try booting with KernelPm and AppleIntelCPUPM checkboxes both enabled in Kernel and Kext Patches.

@Elias64Fr,

Bonjour! Here's a summary of yesterday's action items and their outcomes:

Next Action Items:
  • Replace ThunderboltConfig with the string you provided above.
    • As long as SSP1/SSP2 --> UsbCPortNumber matches the last 4 bytes in ThunderboltConfig, TNODE/TBUS will appear (but TNODE/TBUS depends also on detecting USB cable state change, etc.). I've tried successfully with both 01000200 and 03000400.
  • Boot without ThunderboltDROM and observe outcome.
    • (deferred to later today)
  • Remove Sleep() from DBG1 and DBG2. Reduce ACPIDebug.kext polling interval instead.
    • Polling reduced to 50ms from default of 100ms. Removing Sleep() from DBG1/DBG2 seemed to miss a few entries in ACPIDebug log, probably because 50ms polling interval is still too long. So for now I've put back the Sleep() statements.
  • Uncomment the AVND logging lines from the end of ICMB and see if AVND values remain valid.
    • When AVND is logged in ICMB, something bad happens, causing subsequent NHI0/XHC2 PCED methods to see AVND = 0xFFFFFFFF.
    • Attached log shows results with and without AVND logging, with relevant lines in blue.
  • Show XHC2 AVND from PCED.
    • I modified all PCED methods to display AVND, and those values look good.
    • Even XHC2 AVND finally looks correct every time!
  • Fully disable ASPM in BIOS.
    • Not sure I did this correctly. I've disabled ASPM in BIOS, but pci-aspm-default values for UPSB, DSB0, and NHI0 were still non-zero yesterday evening.
    • All of the pci-aspm-default values are 0x0 when TNODE/TBUS is not present, but they are non-zero when TNODE/TBUS is present.
      • Update: They are sometimes 0x0 and sometimes non-zero. Trying to determine the conditions...
  • Test DisplayPort pass-through via Platform ID 0x3E9B0007.
    • TNODE/TBUS appeared one time yesterday evening, but the system was booted with 0x3E980003.
    • Will try again.
  • Add modified _L6F handler.
    • All tests yesterday evening were with this change.
    • Did not see any _L6F events in the log.

Attachments

• AVND Loggng.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
  • When you Reset CMOS yesterday, that had the effect of clearing NVRAM.
  • It's possible that MSR 0xE2 has become locked again. It would be good to double-check it:
    • setup_var_3 0x5c1
    • Return value should be 0 if it's disabled
  • You may also try booting with KernelPm and AppleIntelCPUPM checkboxes both enabled in Kernel and Kext Patches.
NVRAM was locked, unlocked and all is working Thank you very much!

ASRock recently received formal Thunderbolt Certification from Intel on an X570 board. I have the X570 Creator and have extracted its Titan Ridge firmware. Thankfully, the Creator uses a Macronix chip (MXIC 25L8006E), which is much easier to read.

Old news then. Pretty cool though!

Feel free to try the attached SSDT that just removes HS11.
  • Backup the existing SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml and remove it from the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
  • Copy the new one in its place and reboot.
Well @CaseySJ Sleep is finally working!

Just to be clear that water cooling on the cpu will continue to work after this or not?

I found some interesting reading here in the forum, I have a h115i Corsair water cooler, that USB port (Internal HS11) was preventing sleep (finally found that after 1 year).

The Water cooling will continue to work, those are the steps I did:

-connect everything as normal
-adjust the settings in the corsair app on windows (or use the bios to configure the fan curves)
-disable the port HS11 (I also have leds on it but whatever)

Now I stumbled upon this app on GitHub, maybe I can make it work but needs some testing (same as liquidctl)

still working on those audio pops

Last edited:
Bluetooth is something that has been a pain for me -- honestly it's the only part of this experience where I felt like I'm dealing with a Hackintosh -- I've purchased both the Fenvi T919 card AND the generic card with PCIe dongle and they both seem to work about the same (well, maybe the Fenvi works a bit better)

In both cases, the wifi works great and the Bluetooth has problems -- I think I've tracked down a fair bit so I thought to capture my notes here to potentially help others.

tl;dr -- 2.4GHz wifi can screw up Bluetooth, switch wifi off or connect to 5GHz wifi.

Read below for my notes and/or if you want to do your own diagnosis.

The tough part of this is knowing how to troubleshoot if you have what appears to be intermittent Bluetooth. The easiest way is to alt-click on the Bluetooth icon in the taskbar and it will tell you signal strength -- you want to see a number that is RSSI> -70dBm or so -- the higher the better (RSSI is an old radio term that means "Received Signal Strength Indicator) and dBm is the unit of measure or 'dB relative to 1mw' -- If this number creeps below -70 you'll start having problems.

View attachment 413893

The problem can be that even with this trick when you alt-click you'll see it go up and down -- This is especially true if it's a suspect connection -- if you want to really see what's going on you need a better way.

Happily apple (through their developer tools) does give a better way. Apple has developer tools and if you get the Additional Tools Xcode for 10.2 inside you'll find a handy tool (in the Hardware folder) called "Bluetooth Explorer" -- This tool does a lot of stuff (much of which I don't know how to use) but there is one super handy tool for diagnosing problems if you have a Bluetooth speaker, airpods or Bluetooth headsets.

First: If you are having troubles with Bluetooth turn off wifi, then connect your Bluetooth audio device and under the Tools menu of Bluetooth Explorer select 'Audio Graphs' and a handy graph shows up. Now make sure that your Bluetooth audio device is connected and you'll see live updates -- we are going to want to put some data through over Bluetooth so fire your favorite video/song and you should see what lines showing data. Even without listening to audio you'll see a graph of "Raw RSSI" -- here is my system, wifi off with airpods as my Bluetooth device

View attachment 413883

This handy graph shows my RSSI between -63dBm and -65dBm, data, and retransmission -- I'm sort of surprised how high the retransmission rate is given a pretty good RSSI and the fact that the audio works great but let's ignore that and focus on a good RSSI and assume the rest will work itself out.

In order to show how the RSSI works I walked away from my office into the kitchen and back -- it's maybe 40-50 feet through a few walls and sure enough you can see the RSSI dipping as I walked away and then going back up -- What's important to note is the audio worked the entire time so even at -76dBm it was still reliably working

View attachment 413886

Ok -- now let's start figuring out what is going on -- If I turn on and connect to my home network this happens

First a word -- I use the google wifi system and overall I've been super happy -- it does all the modern wifi standards, is easy to maintain and has great range. One 'issue' is that when you set up a network it broadcasts as a single SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz so you never know what kind of connection you get (and you cannot change how it works..)

What I was able to do was 'alt-click' on the wifi and confirm that yes, I'm connecting at 2.4GHz

View attachment 413889

Look at that -- the signal strength plummets and I lose functionality. If you want long enough you will see it go up and down and occasionally it will go back to -70dBm or so and start working but not for long.

I've done this experiment a lot and 100% of the time I connect to the wifi hot spot Bluetooth becomes super unreliable.

The problem, for me, is I'm unable to separate out the 5GHz and 2.4GHz SSID's and there is NO WAY to force a mac to use 5GHz only (well, no way that I found) - there are command line tools that can force a channel and even a nice GUI tool that can do it but they will not change how it attaches to the SSID.

I eventually realized that in my office I have an old Airport Extreme and with that, I was able to force it to be a '5GHz' only mode and give it a unique SSID -- when I do that and then connect to the 5GHz only SSID this is what happens.

View attachment 413891

so there you have it -- in my experience, the Bluetooth does not work well if you connect wifi to a 2.4GHz connection. Switching wifi'off' (which disables some functions of continuity) or going to a 5.8GHz connection allows the Bluetooth to work well.

so sad I didn't see your post before, I would have spare many hours :D

Hi guys, just want to introduce myself, I have read through the last 50 pages or so, and I will be starting my build soon. When I did my first build in 2017 there was much less info around, I flew by the seat of my pants and though this forum was able to get up and running, although I never posted. I just updated that Z170 build to catalina, works great, but I am excited to get started on this z390 build. I have read and read and read, and hopefully, due to you guys, will report back with minimal issues soon. Thanks to all in advance, appreciate all the hard work you have done.

Hi guys, just want to introduce myself, I have read through the last 50 pages or so, and I will be starting my build soon. When I did my first build in 2017 there was much less info around, I flew by the seat of my pants and though this forum was able to get up and running, although I never posted. I just updated that Z170 build to catalina, works great, but I am excited to get started on this z390 build. I have read and read and read, and hopefully, due to you guys, will report back with minimal issues soon. Thanks to all in advance, appreciate all the hard work you have done.
good luck! the guide in post #1 is excellent, as are all the other mini-guides Casey has created. my strong advice is READ THROUGH the guide in its entirety before starting the installation. then follow every step to the letter. it will work.

Back