Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@yellocab

Because you're using an Apple USB keyboard, it should definitely work at the OpenCore boot menu. Can you please post a screenshot of your OpenCore drivers folder? There should be a file called either UsbKbDxe.efi or AppleUsbKbDxe.efi.

I use the Apple Magic Keyboard 2 over USB and I don't need any drivers to make it work in OC. Maybe some config settings elsewhere can fix it.

I use the Apple Magic Keyboard 2 over USB and I don't need any drivers to make it work in OC. Maybe some config settings elsewhere can fix it.
@yellocab

You may want to try deleting AppleUsbKbDxe.efi from your OpenCore config.plist (it's not necessary to delete the file, but that's your choice).

This could be normal as well. After this restart, do you again choose the Boot Install option from Mojave SSD?

Update: Your CLOVER folder looks good.
@CaseySJ Sorry, I didn't think you could see video very well. So I took some pics.
This is what I see right before it gives me the 13 minute countdown- I went through 4 times this morning, and it shuts down at 12 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_20200124_100416.jpg
    IMG_20200124_100416.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20200124_100402.jpg
    IMG_20200124_100402.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20200124_100357.jpg
    IMG_20200124_100357.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 60

It was my understanding that with the latest versions of OC (v054 and v055) keyboard support is built in and so neither UsbKbDxe.efi or AppleUsbKbDxe.efi is necessary. But one section needs to be adjusted in the driver section as in attached image; KeySupport = YES; and maybe AppleKeyMap = YES for your keyboard. (The latest docs in the driver's section may make this clearer.)

Attachments

• OC_keyboard.jpg
    OC_keyboard.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 73
It was my understanding that with the latest versions of OC (v054 and v055) keyboard support is built in and so neither UsbKbDxe.efi or AppleUsbKbDxe.efi is necessary. But one section needs to be adjusted in the driver section as in attached image; KeySupport = YES; and maybe AppleKeyMap = YES for your keyboard. (The latest docs in the driver's section may make this clearer.)

I don't have AppleKeyMap enabled but I do have KeySupport enabled.

I have never tested the hotkey support for things like using the shortcuts to boot into recovery, but the keyboard works in OC boot menu.

For Clover, since I have FileVault 2 enabled, I use AppleUiSupport.efi and AppleGenericInput.efi from AppleSupportPkg. Anything else is a much slower boot to the FileVault login screen, and glitchy input.

Hey all, and thanks @CaseySJ and all who've helped me sort things out with this build.

I believe I've finally got it all working as it should, so I thought I'd share what's worked with my setup & config in case it benefits anyone else.

Hardware:
-----------------------------
Designare Z390 (F7 BIOS - as it seems to give the best benchmarks)
Gigabyte 5700 XT OC 8GB
64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 - running with XMP Profile 1 in BIOS)
WD Black NVME 500GB (not the newer SN750 model)
Padarsey BCM94360CS2 WiFi Bluetooth Airport Wireless Card on this PCIE card:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07NRYGZ7Q/?tag=tonymacx86c0c-20
Various other SATA SSDs (WD BLUE, 3x Samsung QVO in a Mac raid array, ADATA, Crucial MX etc)
Corsair 850w PSU (overkill prob, but quiet)
Universal Audio UAD Apollo hardware (Apollo DUO Silver, Apollo x8, Satellite Octo TB2 & a QUAD PCIE card - TB3 to TB2 adaptor where needed). TB1 devices do NOT work though.
-----------------------------

I believe the only piece of hardware that was an issue was the graphics, and it was the source of my problems in the end.

Initially I was using an install that reached Catalina from a few OSes back, and was transplanted across 3 machines over the last few years. I was getting random system freezes (completely unresponsive requiring a power cycle to reboot), bad audio performance, apps crashing all the time. I suppose I was asking for too much by upgrading and transplanting too much. Oops.

After a while I did the right thing and performed a complete wipe and fresh install. I followed @CaseySJ 's Catalina Fresh Install Mini Guide for Catalina and it worked out very well. My thunderbolt audio devices were acting perfectly, and actually connecting much quicker at boot and/or after a power cycle on any of the units. Apps no longer crashed. But...the dreaded system freeze still remained. At first I thought it was a sleep issue, but then the system began to freeze randomly while working on things, and not just when left idle or left/put to sleep.

My solution was to take @CaseySJ 's suggestions from when I was still tinkering with my upgraded install and apply some of those tweaks to this fresh install. What solved my last and worst problem was modifying the boot args in the fresh install config.plist so that:

shikigva=16 (changed from shikigva=32)
shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 (deleted)

All other boot args, drivers, kexts left as is from the 'config-AMD-GPU.plist' provided in the fresh install mini guide. The only other changes were updating to the latests kexts in the clover kexts/other folder. I'm guessing that my issues were the graphics freezing up the system. I tried everything from CPU/RAM/IGPU/VOLTAGE BIOS settings, to different EFI drivers, to sleep settings and tweaks. The freezing remained and it was consistent.

Everything works now: IGPU+DGPU, H264/HVEC hardware encode/decode, sleep, wake, handoff, messages, iCloud, airdrop, sidecar, protected content in TV+, Netflix, iTunes etc. I noticed that when testing out the DRM content on TV+ and Neflix etc, the playback and loading of the content was smoother faster than with shikigva=32 & shiki-id=Mac-xxxx (seeking ahead was snappier and playback resumed more quickly). Weird right? The irony is that I don't even use this machine to watch TV+ or Netflix etc, or use sleep functions ever, but it's worth noting I guess.

Thanks again to everyone on this amazing thread who put up with my cries for help :). Running Catalina with a newly supported GFX card and and audio system that is not officially supported in Catalina yet is just asking for troubles really.

Also, the thunderbolt research you guys are doing is saintly, and I'll be watching it blossom into awesomeness with great excitement. I hope it turns out!

Ok, now back to work (finally - haha).

——-
Update to the update, the battle never ends:

It turns out that the system freezes were still there, but waaaaaaay fewer. But I did get 1 freeze yesterday after hours of working. I removed shikigva=16 enirely and lost DRM features. I still got graphics glitches like I used to before the system would freeze up, but now the system didn’t freeze up after a random screen glitch as it always has so far.

So I disabled my on-board graphics in BIOS and moved over to an iMac Pro 1,1 SMBIOS without any shikigva values in my confg.plist I still get DRM, and no screen glitching or system freezing to be seen yet. FCPX renders a little but slower with this SMBIOS but DaVinci Resolve works more than twice as fast During renders. DAW audio performance and Thunderbolt stuff seems the same. Overall my gut would say that this seems stable so far and probably more powerful in real use on the video side of things, although Geekbench 5 benches it a tad lower in CPU multicore scores on this SMBIOS.

FINGERS CROSSED

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Sorry, I didn't think you could see video very well. So I took some pics.
This is what I see right before it gives me the 13 minute countdown- I went through 4 times this morning, and it shuts down at 12 minutes.
Oh I see -- this is not a boot up problem. This reboot occurs while the progress bar is on screen, so the boot log won't help.

Some more questions:
  • What version of Clover are you using? Looks like 5xxx because of the drivers/UEFI folder.
  • What is the make/model of your macOS NVMe SSD?
  • What memory modules do you have (brand, capacity of each module, and number of modules)?
Please try the attached config.plist, but first:
  • Copy serial numbers back into SMBIOS.
  • Copy Board Serial Number into RtVariables --> MLB.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.4 KB · Views: 76
Yes, TbtOnPEG...

(I was looking at a 2017 MacBook Air 7,2 [Thunderbolt 2] where it's called PcieTbt.)

View attachment 446476
I think its probably an Apple old code with multiple GPIO .. now Apple use SGOV, GGOV, SGDI and SGDO methods .. so I still haven't understood how it work and how layout is done .. only read address of FPG0, FPGN, ... On many motherboard DSDT, sometimes we have variable, sometimes value ...

Back