Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Slow progress ;) !

Seem to have a lack of ACPIDebug log, some information appear on one test and disappear for another... Probably due to a limited capacity of the device RMDT added for ACPIDebug feature.

Could you try to modify it like this :
Before: Name (RING, Package (0x0100){})
After: Name (RING, Package (0x1000){})
We can probably extend memory capacity like that.

Some issues on XHC2 (DSB2) device part power supply ! Seem that SGOV(FPG0) used by TBFP (ThunderBolt Force Power) only power-on NHI part of the device, which is maybe not the case with Alpine Ridge.. or just a different layout of GPIOs on Designare board.
It will be interesting to NOT using any SSDT-TBT, disconnecting all devices on Tbt and seeing what happen on Ioreg with GPIO3FrcPw disabled.

Little doubt with OSDW .. to be sure, I have removed all OSDW conditions used on all _PSx .. and whole others.
Please, remember to disable GPIO3FrcPw on BIOS before the following test :thumbup:

Attached updated file SSDT-TbtOnPch-Designare_Draft07.aml
I'll do the following later this evening:
  • Modify ACPIDebug SSDT by using Name (RING, Package (0x1000){})
  • Disable GPIO3 Force Power in BIOS.
  • Test 1:
    • GPIO3 Force Power disabled in BIOS.
    • Remove all Thunderbolt SSDT and disconnect TB3 devices.
    • Perform cold boot and report ACPIDebug log and screenshot of IOReg.
  • Test 2:
    • GPIO3 Force Power disabled in BIOS.
    • Install TbtOnPch Draft07.
    • Perform cold boot and report ACPIDebug log and screenshot of IOReg.
Please let me know if I should run any other tests? How about warm boot with TB3 device?

@CaseySJ to confirm your mini guide solution to random freeze on Catalina, with RX570 i need to agdpmod=pikera and set shikigva=16

Since I have Gigabyte Z390 I itx, is there anything more in your config.plist file specific to Designare and your configuration except devices: Broadcom 94360CS2 custom settings for slot 5?

I'm not sure if this issue is related to hackintoshing but this is my first PC build so I'd appreciate any ideas. Whenever I attempt to shutdown my computer, it will enter a pre-BIOS power on/off loop (see video). This happens either when using the f_panel switch or when using the software Shutdown command. The computer will appear to be shutting down, then cycle on/off for a few minutes before starting back up again. The only way to actually turn the computer off is to flip the PSU switch.

Config: Z390 Designare, 9900K, GSkill Ripjaws V DDR3600 16GBx4
Using recommended BIOS settings from the guide.

Awesome -- thank you!

I'll update the two ZIP files in OpenCore Mini-Guide now.

I externalized DTPG in my SSDT-PLUG.aml (which I named SSDT-PLUGINTYPE-PR00.aml) months ago and it has been working fine on both Clover and OpenCore.

I think someone else (maybe @pitt1717) had mentioned having a hard time getting iGPU to work with OpenCore.

I somehow managed to get it working.

I took a look at the Whatevergreen Chart and came up with a different shikigva number than the ones in the boot args floating around this thread.
Now, its entirely possible that this has been talked about before and I just missed it. I mean the thread is 1332 pages long. :)

Anyway, I set iGPU to enabled in BIOS, and shikigva=80
I also removed shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 from my boot args

I also removed the Vega SSDT I had in my ACPI folder in OC.

Now that I have spent forever trying to achieve this I am left wondering what the point was, except to say that I did it.
:D

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 1.10.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 1.11.00 PM.png

AFAIK the Designare Z390 only has a single USB 2.0 header. What is everybody using to connect 2 or more USB devices? I need to connect both the NZXT X72 fan and fenvi t919 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card to internal USB 2.0 header.
It only has one header, but there are two ports on it
If your eyesight is good and you have a steady hand, it's reasonably easy to extract the pins from the plug of one of your devices and insert them in the second row in the plug of the other device. There are tiny plastic fingers holding the pins in place, lift them up with the tip of a scalpel or similar and they just pull out

I think someone else (maybe @pitt1717) had mentioned having a hard time getting iGPU to work with OpenCore.

I somehow managed to get it working.

I took a look at the Whatevergreen Chart and came up with a different shikigva number than the ones in the boot args floating around this thread.
Now, its entirely possible that this has been talked about before and I just missed it. I mean the thread is 1332 pages long. :)

Anyway, I set iGPU to enabled in BIOS, and shikigva=80
I also removed shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 from my boot args

I also removed the Vega SSDT I had in my ACPI folder in OC.

Now that I have spent forever trying to achieve this I am left wondering what the point was, except to say that I did it.
:D

View attachment 446068

View attachment 446069
On your motherboard (Gigabyte Z390 Ultra) did you previously encounter Couldn't allocate runtime area errors during boot with IGPU enabled in OpenCore?

The problem with many Designare Z390 systems is that the EFI memory driver (FwRuntimeServices) cannot find a memory slot large enough to load the macOS kernel when iGPU is enabled (with OpenCore, but not with Clover). So we get Couldn't allocate runtime area immediately on boot.

On your motherboard (Gigabyte Z390 Ultra) did you previously encounter Couldn't allocate runtime area errors during boot with IGPU enabled in OpenCore?

The problem with many Designare Z390 systems is that the EFI memory driver (FwRuntimeServices) cannot find a memory slot large enough to load the macOS kernel when iGPU is enabled (with OpenCore, but not with Clover). So we get Couldn't allocate runtime area immediately on boot.

It was locking up on me at boot, but I suspect that was due to the shikigva=16 value in my boot args.

I DID follow an openCore guide detailing BIOS settings.
The short version is that I disabled a LOT of stuff in BIOS:

Disabled LED lights
Enabled Above4Decoding
disabled CSM
set boot options to Windows 8.1/10 mode (NOT OTHER)
Disabled intel Software Guard Extensions
Disabled Parallel ports AND
disabled Legacy USB

That seemed to find me enough room to enable the iGPU.

@CaseySJ to confirm your mini guide solution to random freeze on Catalina, with RX570 i need to agdpmod=pikera and set shikigva=16
  • agdpmod=pikera is typically for AMD RX 5700 and 5700 XT GPUs, but it's okay to use on RX 570. You may try both with and without this boot argument.
  • You may also try shikigva=16 or 80, or even removing it entirely. Some DRM content may not play back, but if the system becomes stable without shikigva or with a different value of it, then that's progress.
    • Please study this post for information about setting shikigva.
Since I have Gigabyte Z390 I itx, is there anything more in your config.plist file specific to Designare and your configuration except devices: Broadcom 94360CS2 custom settings for slot 5?
Other than the Broadcom entry, your board does not need:
  • SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
  • SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml (only needed if you have Intel CNVi WiFi/BT module)
And of course the custom USB SSDT will not work properly on your board:
  • SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml

@CaseySJ, huge thanks for hard work and all of instructions. They work on many other configurations.
I removed SSDT files and created my custom USB plus new NVRAM SSDT. Only problem is Safari and DRM (Netflix). i was reading forums about whatevergreen. Some folks say it will take time for dev's to add full support for Catalina. Not sure about that.

How stable is your OpenCore configuration? Still in beta? Would you recommend to switch from Clover? What advantages you are seeing at this moment?

Back