Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi all! I just built a brand new machine, and I've been trying the Catalina fresh install. I'm having a tough time getting the Catalina installer to even boot, which seems strange to me. I followed the Catalina mini guide to the T. I tried reformatting my USB stick and redoing the guide many times. The installer begins to boot with the Apple logo, but crashes/hangs at about 60% each time. I included a pic of the error message which it always ends on. It seems to crash in slightly different places each time though. After this, it goes to a black screen.

I've tried removing the graphics card and using onboard graphics but it doesn't help.

Z390 Designare
i9-9900K
Sapphire Pulse RX 580
Samsung 1TB EVO 970 NVMe SSD
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB
BIOS f7

Any help would be appreciated. Is there anything I could be overlooking?

Attachments

• 81569391_451286295778171_1689669958499303424_n.jpg
    81569391_451286295778171_1689669958499303424_n.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 52
Hi @CaseySJ I was wondering if you could look at my EFI. I moved my Pro Tools rig from the Mac Mini 8,1 over to the hack (one machine to rule them all...) This setup is running Mojave from a Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB NVMe and I'm not using Filevault. I had a spontaneous machine restart in the middle of an idle Pro Tools session. That's never happened before when I was using the machine as a slave for Vienna Ensemble Pro Server 7.

I thought you could take a look and see what, if anything in my setup (from this guide) may have triggered this. I've also attached a spindump text if that would help. IDK where my PR reporting files went. Please and thank you, of course.

Attachments

• EFI_i9900KS and GBZ390_FractalR6.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 70
  • spindump.txt.zip
    144.1 KB · Views: 53
Hi all! I just built a brand new machine, and I've been trying the Catalina fresh install. I'm having a tough time getting the Catalina installer to even boot, which seems strange to me. I followed the Catalina mini guide to the T. I tried reformatting my USB stick and redoing the guide many times. The installer begins to boot with the Apple logo, but crashes/hangs at about 60% each time. I included a pic of the error message which it always ends on. It seems to crash in slightly different places each time though. After this, it goes to a black screen.

I've tried removing the graphics card and using onboard graphics but it doesn't help.

Z390 Designare
i9-9900K
Sapphire Pulse RX 580
Samsung 1TB EVO 970 NVMe SSD
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB
BIOS f7

Any help would be appreciated. Is there anything I could be overlooking?

Hey there. Don't you need to be on F8 to use the 9900K? Or is that just for the 9900KS/KF?

I have an issue with a Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X, that's different but requires the same drivers as the Designare.
Catalina 10.15.2
GPU is a RX 580 8GB (tested 2 different variants)
Drivers: OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi, emuvariableuefi.efi

On SMBIOS 19,1 and 18,3 with enabled iGPU AAPL,ig-platform-id 0300983E at wake from sleep after a few seconds I have a reboot.
On SMBIOS MacMini8,1 with no discrete GPU AAPL,ig-platform-id 07009B3E at wake from sleep NO Issue AT ALL
On SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 with no iGPU enabled at wake from sleep NO Issue AT ALL
In all cases same set of UEFI drivers.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Last edited:
** Advanced-Level Request **

This is a very specialized request. If someone has an uninstalled Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard and is comfortable performing a little bit of careful disassembly on the board, then please see if you might be able to do the following:

Hello @CaseySJ
Just found these images of Designare on some of the hardware reviews website.
Images (front and back) are attached below. Maybe it helps in some way.

Attachments

• IMG2408.jpg
    IMG2408.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG2404.jpg
    IMG2404.jpg
    649.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 24-big-gigabyte-z390-designare.jpg
    24-big-gigabyte-z390-designare.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Also perform a CMOS Reset by shorting 2 pins as stated in the Designare user’s manual. Then configure BIOS parameters again.

If anyone interested, I received a more detailed instruction to reset CMOS from Gigabite support:

Please remove the CPU carefully and check if there is any pin bent or dirty in the CPU socket, and reinstall the CPU carefully again.

And then make a full reset like following, and test again.

1) Turn off powerand wait 30 s.
2) Remove CMOS battery.
3) Use a metal object to connect the two pins in the battery holder to make them short-circuited for about 2 s.
4) Remove short circuit.
5) Reinstall the CMOS battery .
6) Now short circuit Clear CMOS jumper for 10 s.
7) Remove short circuit
8) Turn on the PSU switch, Start system and immediately boot into the BIOS setup.

Load Optimized Defaults. Check Time and date. Check SATA Mode setting. If you did set SATA Mode to RAID Mode before you did Clear CMOS, please set SATA Mode back to RAID. Finish BIOS setup with Save & Exit.

Hey @CaseySJ! First, if all thanks a lot of tour detailed awesome posts, you are life saver.
I followed your guide and upgraded from Mojave to Catalina. Everything went smooth and perfectly fine. But I hit a weird issue. When I ran Mojave, I had everything working including iMessage, FaceTime, etc. After the upgrade, everything works but iMessage and FaceTime, I tried all SMBIOS, cleaning, etc. But, whenever I try to activate iMessage and FaceTime, it simply says an error occurred without any code, etc., for FaceTime. It says no reachable address found. Can anyone help?
Hello @Rjsindo

Please try the following:
  • At Clover Boot Menu, press F1 to check version number. Ensure you're running Clover 5xxx.
  • After booting into macOS, check that EmuVariableUEFI.efi (or EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi) is present in CLOVER/drivers/UEFI.
  • Also check that the old CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder is removed.
  • If you see the Logout or Sign Off options in FaceTime/Messages, go ahead and sign off.
  • Then select About this Mac --> System Report --> Network and look for BSD Device Name of en0 (see image below).
    Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 2.57.37 AM.png
  • If there is no en0, it will be necessary to delete the following file and reboot:
    • /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
    • Then check if en0 appears.
  • In Clover Configurator, open config.plist and look at the RtVariables section. If the ROM field is empty, click the Generate button, then save the file and reboot.

Hello @CaseySJ
Just found these images of Designare on some of the hardware reviews website.
Images (front and back) are attached below. Maybe it helps in some way.
This is perfect -- thanks @AlexD. And nice to hear from you again! There is indeed a Flash ROM chip located near the Titan Ridge controller. My weekend just got busy... :)

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.07.46 AM.png

Glad it helped you! So it seems like you're going to follow Option 3 (Native) from Osy guide and flash something?

BTW, this procedure was something what Gigabyte support offered me last year in order to make my Apple Thunderbolt display work. They were going to flash modified TB firmware via this chip, but as we all know Intel strictly prohibited them to do it.

So I just built another rig based on Z390 Aorus Pro and GC-Alpine Ridge. More rigs, more fun, right?

Anyway, I'll definitely looking forward on your experiments with this, Casey. I really enjoy your enthusiasm and involvement into this. My huge respect to you.

Back