Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

You can certainly clone the SSD to NVMe with the NVMe installed inside the M.2 slot.

Do you see a crash log window with an option to show details?

yes I can send screenshot when I get back home today just left to work won’t even open or execute clover configurator now I shutdown to install the NVMe and fenvi to be able to get CCC on the machine

1. Does Thunderbolt hot-plug work? I'm not sure, how can I check? I only have a Samsung T5, that's my only USB-C device I own. I can connect to both the two TB ports at the back and my Define R6 USB-C port at the front. It says "No drivers are loaded" in System Information --> Thunderbolt, also no mention of Titan Ridge in System Information --> PCI. I can boot with your TB4.aml SSDT and that causes two Titan Ridge Does devices to appear in SI --> PCI, but USB-C already works without that SSDT (as tested with the Samsung T5). Does that answer the question?
Thanks for posting the IOReg file and EFI folder. Thunderbolt hot-plug is not enabled, however. This only affects true Thunderbolt devices instead of USB and DisplayPort devices. The Samsung T5 is a USB 3.1 device. As you said, you can always copy the Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT into ACPI folder and add a reference to config.plist.
  1. The following USB ports are defined at PCI0.XHC.RHUB (HS01 through HS09, SS01 through SS06, This is a total of 15 ports) I'm not sure what the consequences of this is. I've created a new DSDT where I have included your UIAC-V7 file, so that I only have to boot with one single DSDT file. So far, all USB ports work, both on the front and at the back.
  2. But then there's a conditional statement if ((PCHS == PCHH)) that defines an additional set of ports under the same PCI0.XHC.RHUB (HS11 through HS14, SS07 through SS10, This is an additional 8 ports, Because HS14 is enabled (Intel CNVi Bluetooth), does your Broadcom Bluetooth work? Can you turn Bluetooth off and on? Can you pair devices?) I have copied the NO-CNVI code into my new DSDT (see attached totototo.zip) so no bluetooth. I've seen these entries als, but I wasn't sure if I should delete these entries?
  3. Do all of these ports appear in IORegistryExplorer under XHC? I've attached my IOReg, does that answer your question?
Yes, I see that now -- devices UIAC and USBX were added to the top of the DSDT. And CNVW was deactivated by modifying its device/vendor IDs in CNVW._DSM. Cool!

@hylkepylke I am using your new DSDT and everything seems to work without a need for single SSDT. I dislike like the fact that we don't fully understand the process that makes it work but I hope we'll figure it out so this will be future proof.

I am booting now directly into my Catalina partition but I can't hold an OPT key to show the picker. Can you do it? To boot to Win10 I need to go through BIOS' F12 selection. If I enable picker and try to boot to Win10 it will panic. This is not a big deal, just an observation.
I have the same issue: I can get the boot select screen by pressing ESC after the boot logo disappears (I'm using an old Windows USB keyboard). I haven't tried booting Windows via OC yet

I have the same issue: I can get the boot select screen by pressing ESC after the boot logo disappears (I'm using an old Windows USB keyboard). I haven't tried booting Windows via OC yet
SSDT for USB ports that your included in DSDT was @CaseySJ regular v6 or custom one for Fractal R6 case?

SSDT for USB ports that your included in DSDT was @CaseySJ regular v6 or custom one for Fractal R6 case?
I think regular V7 one or the R6 one, I can't remember. I think I read somewhere that V7 regular and R6 don't have that much difference?

Hi guys!
Thanks for such a thorough walkthru @CaseySJ
This is my first build, been 20 years since last time so that doesn't count :)
MB-Z390 Designare, Gigabyte RX 5700 xt Gaming. EVGA G3 750W PSU

Having a bit of trouble here, getting to the install Catalina screen, but it sits hi up on the screen. Only the last row is visible. And the screen looks like the attached file.
Rebooted, went in to bios settings again and then the screen went black.
Have I got the power connections wrong to the GPU?

Attachments

• IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 101
Hi guys!
Thanks for such a thorough walkthru @CaseySJ
This is my first build, been 20 years since last time so that doesn't count :)
MB-Z390 Designare, Gigabyte RX 5700 xt Gaming. EVGA G3 750W PSU

Having a bit of trouble here, getting to the install Catalina screen, but it sits hi up on the screen. Only the last row is visible. And the screen looks like the attached file.
Rebooted, went in to bios settings again and then the screen went black.
Have I got the power connections wrong to the GPU?

are you attempting to install 10.15.1 or 15.2?

I had a similar issue with 15.1 that was fixed in 15.2 with the installer GUI on my 1080p monitor

are you attempting to install 10.15.1 or 15.2?

I had a similar issue with 15.1 that was fixed in 15.2 with the installer GUI on my 1080p monitor
I see, it's 15.1. I had it already downloaded then App Store didn't let me download the newer version. I'll look after a direct link. Think I saw it somewhere.
Thanks for the heads up!

@CaseySJ Did you get a chance to try out Sidecar?
No rush just checking.
thanks
mdr
Oh yes I did and recorded the screen as well. It worked flawlessly in normal wireless mode. Very zippy performance. I noticed a tiny bit of dithering on the desktop background image, but nothing approaching pixelation. It was getting late last night so I didn't upload the video.

Back