Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I apologize for what I'm sure is a repeat question. Do you have a way to confirm rather hardware decoding (VDA / HEVC) is working in Catalina?
We can use VideoProc to confirm hardware encoding/decoding for H.264 and HEVC (H.265).

P.S. Please remove the Catalina Mini-Guide from your post. We'd like to ensure that only one copy of a guide is posted.

Thanks @CaseySJ. The Windows drive has no EFI partition. Not sure how that happened. So I've resigned myself to reinstalling Windows, but I don't have a Windows PC to create the Windows 10 USB install disk. I've tried a couple different ways of making it in Catalina, but they result in non-bootable USB drive. Any suggestions for creating the Windows 10 USB install disk under Catalina?
You could try installing Parallels for Mac. There's a free trial that might allow you to install Windows.

Select File --> New... and then this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 5.22.38 PM_resize.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-19 at 5.23.16 PM_resize.png
When Windows is up and running, create the Windows USB install disk using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool.

@WhosMac

If you copied all of the files contained in Catalina Fresh Install.zip, then both EC and USBX devices are present. You should double-check the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder:
  • EC is defined in SSDT-EC.aml
  • USBX is defined in SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml
Which hardware components were replaced for this installation attempt?

Just tried it with SSDT-EC. I still got CPU halt and shutdown. I'm going to try to reinstall with it in the Clover patched file.
I’m attempting to use the EFI I first had success with on initial successful install.

However, at this point I’ve exchanged or replaced.

GPU-
old: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT
New: Sapphire RX 5700 XT

Motherboard-
replaced Z390 w/ exchange Z390

New USB installer.

New SATA SSD & NVMe SSD

The only thing I have not replaced or exchanged is the CPU, PSU and Ram.

However, I'm not going to lie. I’m considering doing it to see if one are the issue. I just don’t know if this could be caused by any of those?....

It’s strange to me that all the same parts had success before and now something is not allowing it and those are the only parts still from the original build that went South and since then haven’t been able to get it up and running the farthest I get is
Boot the installer GUI- Fine
Go thru disk utility- Fine
Reboot twice- fine

When I attempt to open Welcome GUI for setup, boom! it shuts down CPU halt.

Could this be PSU, CPU or RAM?

@CaseySJ

FULL NEW PARTS LIST:
Case: NZXT H710 (Same)
CPU: i7 9700k (Same)
Cooler: h100i
Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB (4x16gb) 3200mhz (same)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700XT (New)
Wifi/BT: Fenvi (Same)
PSU: RM750 Corsair (same)
NVMe: 2x WD Black 500GB (New)
SSD: WD Blue 500GB (New)
HDD: 2x 6TB IronWolf (New Unused)

Currently only have
Cooler
Cpu
Gpu
Sata SSD
2x 16gb Ram sticks
Installed for install bare bone the install trying to remove any and all things that could cause an issue just as bare min as needed to install

Last edited:
@totototo see attached zip (serial, MLB and UUID redacted)
@trouble74 sleep works great other improvements include:
  • faster booting
  • native nvram working on Z390 (if you use DSDT)
  • Netflix (but this is because OC forced me to disable iGPU and I switched to SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 with AMD GPU, see here)
  • future proof, as AFAIK everyone believes OC will supersede Clover as the go-to Hackintosh boot loader (this was my most important drive)
  • more native feel (ie if you hold OPT during boot you can choose a different booting partition, just like a real Mac would)
Some quick observations about the modified DSDT.aml:
  • There is no explicit Thunderbolt hot-plug support at RP05.
    • Does Thunderbolt hot-plug work?
  • The following USB ports are defined at PCI0.XHC.RHUB:
    • HS01 through HS09
    • SS01 through SS06
    • This is a total of 15 ports
  • But then there's a conditional statement if ((PCHS == PCHH)) that defines an additional set of ports under the same PCI0.XHC.RHUB:
    • HS11 through HS14
    • SS07 through SS10
    • This is an additional 8 ports
    • Because HS14 is enabled (Intel CNVi Bluetooth), does your Broadcom Bluetooth work? Can you turn Bluetooth off and on? Can you pair devices?
  • Do all of these ports appear in IORegistryExplorer under XHC?

@CaseySJ Should the installer create a "Catalina Drive" and a "catalina- Data" partition? I dont know what just happened but it rebooted twice and showed me 2 recovery options and a boot Catalina- Data and when i booted from catalina- Data it did the installer one more time and this time I was able to boot into welcome but screen went grey almost immediatly but its better than a full halt

@CaseySJ Should the installer create a "Catalina Drive" and a "catalina- Data" partition? I dont know what just happened but it rebooted twice and showed me 2 recovery options and a boot Catalina- Data and when i booted from catalina- Data it did the installer one more time and this time I was able to boot into welcome but screen went grey almost immediatly but its better than a full halt
Yes the installer will create both:
  • Catalina
  • Catalina - Data
Whenever you see a boot option containing the word Install (such as Boot macOS Install from Catalina - Data) you should choose that option. After the final reboot, you will only see Boot macOS from Catalina (the "Install" volume is gone), so that's the one to select at that time.

@CaseySJ I truly hope you are still on and responding! INSTALL SUCCESSFUL AND SETUP! But now what??? I want to make sure I do all post install correctly, test it and then make sure to start a Clone of the drive to avoid any issues going forward! Please assist! lol

I'll explain what I did this time. I just want to make sure to setup everything properly before I attempt to shutdown, install fenvi and all RAM and everything and reboot. I also installed on standard SSD. Is there a way to move my main OS to the NVMe? Maybe I can get a full setup then a bootable clone to NVMe. Finally, begin to clone to the SSD?

@CaseySJ I truly hope you are still on and responding! INSTALL SUCCESSFUL AND SETUP! but now what??? I want to make sure i do all post install correctly test it and then make sure to start a Clone of the drive to avoid any issues going forward! Please assist! lol
Wow, finally signs of life!! Congratulations. You must tell us what the problem was.

Post installation is very easy — just copy the EFI folder as described in Step 3. Backup should be done after post installation.
I'll explain what I did this time. I just want to make sure to setup everything properly before I attempt to shutdown, install fenvi and all RAM and everything and reboot. I also installed on standard SSD. Is there a way to move my main OS to the NVMe? Maybe I can get a full setup then a bootable clone to NVMe. Finally, begin to clone to the SSD?
Yes we can use CCC to clone the SSD to NVMe later on. Focus only on the SSD for now.

Wow, finally signs of life!! Congratulations. You must tell us what the problem was.

Post installation is very easy — just copy the EFI folder as described in Step 3. Backup should be done after post installation.

I wont lie, I have not been able to fully understand what caused the issue. However, I used the EFI which I originally had success with. But I swapped all ACPI files with the ones from the "Catalina fresh install folder". I also swapped USBPort.kext with InjectAll for support for USB layouts from ACPI file. After the initial, Install GUI it gave me multiple options for the next phase.

USB installer,
Install macOS preboot from preboot,
macOS recovery,
and install macOS from macOS.

Which the guide mentions to click on "install macOS from macOZ install". However, I chose the preboot option instead. It ran verbose.

It brought me into the same secondary install as it would selecting the last option, from there it rebooted again, and brought me back clover boot menu, where now my only options were USB installer, recovery, or macOS Catalina. I selected the final option this time. It ran verbose. I thought it failed because it brought me back to the BIOS boot menu. Then back into Clover Boot menu with the same selections. I selected the same macOS Catalina drive again, and BOOM! WELCOME GUI loaded up and let me get all the way thru and into OS.

Back