Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi. New here. I managed to install 10.15.1 this afternoon. But Thunderbolt doesn't work. I'm attempting to connect my UAD Arrow but to no avail. Really need that because without it my music production system will be incomplete. In system profile it says:
Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded.

What should I do? I'm not sure if I missed a step. Really hope you guys can help. Thanks
The Thunderbolt section of System Information will always say “No drivers are loaded.” We can ignore that.

Please check that Thunderbolt BIOS parameters are set correctly, especially Thunderbolt security.

UAD devices also need to be on the latest firmware. And we should install latest UAD drivers.

General note to all: Please do not copy the entire guide or mini-guide in your posts. You may simply post a URL (link) to the guide instead.

General note to all: Please do not copy the entire guide or mini-guide in your posts. You may simply post a URL (link) to the guide instead.

Tq for the quick reply. Noted, and sorry for that. :)

Thinking about upgrading my AMD RX580 for a "Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB".

I am running OSX 10.15.1, smbios iMac 19,1 ,Headless igpu. Current Lilu & WEG. (see attached setup)

Do I need to change anything in my config.plist or do you think it's just a straight card swap?

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.14.44 PM.png

Thanks for your input.

Thinking about upgrading my AMD RX580 for a "Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB".

I am running OSX 10.15.1, smbios iMac 19,1 ,Headless igpu. Current Lilu & WEG. (see attached setup)

Do I need to change anything in my config.plist or do you think it's just a straight card swap?

View attachment 436789

Thanks for your input.
Switching to a Vega 64 should be plug-and-play although it may (or may not) be necessary to use an agdpmod boot argument.

Perhaps Vega owners can offer their advice.

Two suggestions:
  1. Remove the -v flag from Boot Arguments (by opening config.plistin Clover Configurator). Save the file. Reboot. Do you now get a black screen, a no-entry or "prohibited" sign, or something else?
    • If you see a black screen, try unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable.
  2. If problem persists, remove agdpmod=pikera from Boot Arguments. Save the file. Reboot. Any improvement?
No improvement. I am downloading Catalina 10.15.1 again. Also redoing the installer usb. I also reverted the bios to version 6 (I was afraid I was missing something in the new GUI of the Bios 8). When I removed the -v from the config.plist the apple logo would come on and the status bar would hang. Tried about 4 times and it sat for over 10 minutes each attempt. When I removed agdpmod=pikera It would go into a boot loop. I have also removed all devices except the hard drive (A Silicon Power 500GB SSD). What I am attempting now. I have no Video Card installed. I also removed the recommend wireless adapter. Basically I'm trying to install with motherboard,SSD, cpu, power supply, 32inch monitor and case. HDMI is connected from Motherboard to monitor. At this point I would just like to get to the installer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will update when I've redone with usb installer.

• Does the screen remain black if you hot-plug the video cable (disconnect and reconnect)?
  • Are you connecting via HDMI or DisplayPort?
  • Are you connecting to a monitor or a flat screen TV?
To restore from the backup disk, yes please keep the script intact. The script will duplicate the EFI Folder from the backup disk onto the original disk. Only then will everything be back to the way it was!
Screen does stay black. DisplayPort. Monitor. I think I'll restore and try again, this time updating Clover along with everything else. Thanks for your help @CaseySJ. I'll report back.

That’s what I expected. This is very likely due to video signal synchronization problem between the video card and the Westinghouse TV. It is advisable to wait for the AOC 32-inch 4K monitor to arrive. On the other hand, you may check the TV owner’s manual for suggestions on which HDMI port to use and what other settings to apply. In some cases it’s necessary to remotely login to the Hackintosh and reduce the refresh rate to 30Hz.
Sorry I didn't update you! I've had the AOC since Monday night! Sorry, in my ignorance I had no idea a monitor could cause any issues.

I created a completely new USB from scratch but added your CLOVER folder and still no dice. I thought that would allow me to start the entire process over on the CPU but I still had all of the folder options showing on the USB. I'm guessing its because I need to erase the nmve to get a truly clean start? Is that correct? Without a Windows machine how do I do that??

No improvement. I am downloading Catalina 10.15.1 again. Also redoing the installer usb. I also reverted the bios to version 6 (I was afraid I was missing something in the new GUI of the Bios 8). When I removed the -v from the config.plist the apple logo would come on and the status bar would hang. Tried about 4 times and it sat for over 10 minutes each attempt. When I removed agdpmod=pikera It would go into a boot loop. I have also removed all devices except the hard drive (A Silicon Power 500GB SSD). What I am attempting now. I have no Video Card installed. I also removed the recommend wireless adapter. Basically I'm trying to install with motherboard,SSD, cpu, power supply, 32inch monitor and case. HDMI is connected from Motherboard to monitor. At this point I would just like to get to the installer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will update when I've redone with usb installer.
  • So the progress bar hangs during startup -- this is what I wanted to check. If the screen went blank, that would be a different issue.
  • Your experience also shows that agdomod=pikera is necessary.
What you're doing now is the right approach. Namely, detaching all unnecessary devices and paring it down to the bare essentials. Hackintoshing often requires this type of trial and error. Anyone not willing or able to do what you're doing should head over to an Apple Store and buy one off the shelf. :)

Note, however, that on-board HDMI will be deactivated once the macOS driver attaches to it during the late boot stage. You'll then get a blank screen. It is better to instead use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable connected to either of the two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports on the rear IO panel. We can also activate the on-board HDMI port by following Injecting Audio and Enabling On-Board HDMI.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't update you! I've had the AOC since Monday night! Sorry, in my ignorance I had no idea a monitor could cause any issues.

I created a completely new USB from scratch but added your CLOVER folder and still no dice. I thought that would allow me to start the entire process over on the CPU but I still had all of the folder options showing on the USB. I'm guessing its because I need to erase the nmve to get a truly clean start? Is that correct? Without a Windows machine how do I do that??
If you're installing Mojave, please follow the main guide in Post #1. No shortcuts! For Catalina, we can follow the streamlined mini-guide (link is at the top of Post #1).

You may also compress and upload the CLOVER folder from EFI partition of the USB install disk.

and then...
  • Reboot #1: We select Boot macOS Install from Mojave
    • Phase 1 of installation begins. And then...
  • Reboot #2: Now if you see a new option Boot macOS Install from Mojave - Data you should select it.
    • Phase 2 of installation begins. And then...
  • You should be presented with Catalina login screen.
Casey, when upgrading to Catalina does it really say Boot macOS... ... from Mojave... ?
Just curious -

Back