Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Casey, After adding your changes to the usb drive I now get the Apple logo, a quick loading white line and then black screen and the monitor light turns from blue to red. I assume it's because it turns off thinking there is no connection.

The one thing that is different is the power button on the case is blinking from time to time intermittently. It reminds me of when a HDD is booting/searching for files.

Thanks!
That’s what I expected. This is very likely due to video signal synchronization problem between the video card and the Westinghouse TV. It is advisable to wait for the AOC 32-inch 4K monitor to arrive. On the other hand, you may check the TV owner’s manual for suggestions on which HDMI port to use and what other settings to apply. In some cases it’s necessary to remotely login to the Hackintosh and reduce the refresh rate to 30Hz.

iMac 19,1 for me, and rock-solid (knock-on-wood) here as well.

Likewise!! :thumbup::headbang:
I'm running FCPx and Resolve and have almost never crashed
iMac Pro 1,1
with no IGPU and
a Vega 64 8GB in Slot 1
and
a Radeon R9 270X 4GB in Slot 2

Performance is on fire!

I remembered discussions on the forum about a boot argument agdpmod=pikera, so I booted from my backup drive, mounted the efi from my boot drive, added the argument and saved the config. Then I realized there was an extra partition on my desktop, a data one, which I know from reading about Catalina. So it seems the install completed. Anyway, I tried rebooting from my boot drive and still no joy.
Catalina installer will create the "- data" volume after the first reboot. In other words, when you begin the Catalina upgrade from Mojave, you will see this:
  • From Mojave we double-click to run Catalina installer. It makes install preparations and then...
  • Reboot #1: We select Boot macOS Install from Mojave
    • Phase 1 of installation begins. And then...
  • Reboot #2: Now if you see a new option Boot macOS Install from Mojave - Data you should select it.
    • Phase 2 of installation begins. And then...
  • You should be presented with Catalina login screen.
This means that the mere presence of a "Mojave - Data" option does not mean that installation is finished.
So, do you think this is still recoverable, or should I cut my losses and restore from backup? Speaking of restore, would I just create a new CCC job and reverse the drives, and include the script? Or should I just reverse the drives in a new job and manually copy from backup EFI to the boot EFI? Lastly, what do you think I did wrong? Did I need to update clover as well? Some make mention of WEG, Lilu and AppleALC, while others also mention updating clover. Thanks in advance and see all my components below, just in case.
  • It's advisable to update Clover, but not strictly necessary if you're on Clover 4961 or later.
  • When you updated WhateverGreen, do you remember updating /Library/Extensions as well, and running Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache?
  • When you boot from the internal NVMe SSD, does Clover Boot Menu contain an option with the word "Install" such as Boot macOS Install from...
    • If so, select that and see what happens.
    • If not, what happens if you just select Boot macOS from Mojave? (The name of the disk will still be the same as before even if Catalina is installed.)
If nothing on the NVMe works, then of course it's time to restore from backup, as follows:
  • Connect the backup disk.
  • Reboot, press F12 at BIOS splash screen and select backup disk from the BIOS boot menu.
  • At the Clover Boot Menu, boot from Mojave on the backup disk.
  • Run Carbon Copy Cloner. It will automatically detect that you've booted from a backup and will instruct you on how to recover.
    • You can just reverse the Source and Destination targets.
    • But double-check everything before hitting the Clone button.

• It's advisable to update Clover, but not strictly necessary if you're on Clover 4961 or later.
  • When you updated WhateverGreen, do you remember updating /Library/Extensions as well, and running Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache?
  • When you boot from the internal NVMe SSD, does Clover Boot Menu contain an option with the word "Install" such as Boot macOS Install from...
    • If so, select that and see what happens.
    • If not, what happens if you just select Boot macOS from Mojave? (The name of the disk will still be the same as before even if Catalina is installed.)
If nothing on the NVMe works, then of course it's time to restore from backup, as follows:
  • Connect the backup disk.
  • Reboot, press F12 at BIOS splash screen and select backup disk from the BIOS boot menu.
  • At the Clover Boot Menu, boot from Mojave on the backup disk.
  • Run Carbon Copy Cloner. It will automatically detect that you've booted from a backup and will instruct you on how to recover.
    • You can just reverse the Source and Destination targets.
    • But double-check everything before hitting the Clone button.
Thanks for the quick reply @CaseySJ. I did update /Library/Extensions as well and ran Kext Utility. There is no Install option anymore. If I try to boot from my OS drive, I eventually just get a black screen. Sounds like I need to restore and I follow, but just want to clear, do I leave the script portion in there? Thanks again

Thanks for the quick reply @CaseySJ. I did update /Library/Extensions as well and ran Kext Utility. There is no Install option anymore. If I try to boot from my OS drive, I eventually just get a black screen. Sounds like I need to restore and I follow, but just want to clear, do I leave the script portion in there? Thanks again
  • Does the screen remain black if you hot-plug the video cable (disconnect and reconnect)?
  • Are you connecting via HDMI or DisplayPort?
  • Are you connecting to a monitor or a flat screen TV?
To restore from the backup disk, yes please keep the script intact. The script will duplicate the EFI Folder from the backup disk onto the original disk. Only then will everything be back to the way it was!

Yes, worked well.

Hmm. That may have been a little premature, now waking randomly again. Think I had not noticed, as it wakes, no password input so went back to sleep again, not it is staying awake, as it get's unlock from Appel Watch, so made me aware it is not sleeping properly. Any ideas?

Home and OS Folders on Separate Drives
I have separated my MacOS/Applications disk from the Home Folders disk. The former is on a 240GB NVMe and the latter is on a 1TB SATA SSD. The proper way to move your home folder is by going to System Preferences --> Users & Groups, unlocking the lower left padlock, right-clicking on your name under Current User, and selecting Advanced Options.... In the subsequent dialog, click the Choose... button located next to "Home directory" and select the new home disk. This allows us to create and maintain a bootable backup SSD more conveniently. However, if your OS and Home folders are on the same disk you'll just need a bigger backup SSD.

If your OS and Home folders are currently on the same disk and you would like to separate them, please have a look at this guide by @Thaigyver.
I know I'm like a year late on this one, but have you had any issues with permissions running like this? I always kept my home directory on another drive for years, but starting in 10.14, Adobe CC would bomb on upgrades/installs when separate. When I moved my home back to my primary drive, everything would work fine.

Since 10.15 actually separates them at the OS level, this may go away. But just curious if you or anyone else has had issues running them like you recommend. I'd love to get some space back on my SSD.

I know I'm like a year late on this one, but have you had any issues with permissions running like this? I always kept my home directory on another drive for years, but starting in 10.14, Adobe CC would bomb on upgrades/installs when separate. When I moved my home back to my primary drive, everything would work fine.

Since 10.15 actually separates them at the OS level, this may go away. But just curious if you or anyone else has had issues running them like you recommend. I'd love to get some space back on my SSD.

I have been running like this since April, initially I had a lot of permissions issues. But after creating another user per instructions from @Thaigyver and migrating to that one it has been running smoothly, no problems with Adobe CC or any other apps. It is a little bit squirrelly with certain things on the desktop. Otherwise it works great.

Hello @WhosMac

Because you're planning to do a fresh install of Catalina 10.15.1 with a Radeon RX 5700 XT, you could be our test subject for an updated installation procedure. Certain steps will be replaced with new versions of UniBeast and MultiBeast in the future.

If you're willing to be a test subject, please try the mini guide below that streamlines most of the work. By the way:
  • What is the make/model of your NVMe SSD?
  • Are you using a WiFi/BT card such as Fenvi FV-T919? If so, which slot is it in?

** Experimental Mini-Guide for Direct Installation of Catalina 10.15.1 **

This Guide...
  • Uses OcQuirks-4 and FwRuntimeServices instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.
  • Uses VirtualSMC from the beginning.
  • Applies all custom SSDTs from the beginning. No USB Port Limit patches are needed.
    • Hides Intel CNVi WiFi/BT card from macOS.
    • Enables Thunderbolt hot plug.
    • Configures USB ports and enables high-current delivery.
  • Sets iGPU to headless platform ID 0x3E980003. Use of a discrete AMD GPU is required.
  • Sets shikigva and shiki-id to allow DRM content playback in TV, Music, and Podcast apps.
  • Uses Clover 5xxx (v5098 or newer).
  • Uses the modified SmallTreeIntel82576 kext that directly supports Intel i211 Ethernet. No need for FakePCIIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext.
  • Sets boot parameter agdpmod=pikera to prevent black screen problem with some RX 5700 series GPUs.
  • Assumes there's a Broadcom 94360-based WiFi/BT card (such as Fenvi FV-T919) in the bottom short PCIe x1 slot. If you don't have such a WiFi/BT card, you should still be able to use this guide.
  • Uses Clover kext injection instead of installing kexts in /Library/Extensions. This is subject to change.
Preparation:
  • Set BIOS parameters according to main guide in Post #1.
    • Set Initial Display Output to PCIe 1 Slot (if RX 5700 XT or other supported AMD GPU is in Slot 1)
  • Connect monitor to RX 5700 XT or other supported AMD GPU.
Step 1: Create USB Install Disk
  • Use a 16 to 32 GB flash drive.
  • Format the USB drive in Disk Utility. Select View --> Show All Devices and click the parent name of your USB drive on left sidebar. Failure to do so will be catastrophic. Then select Erase and enter:
    • Name: Catalina-USB (use exactly this name)
    • Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled) --- do not use APFS here
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Download Catalina installer from App Store on a supported Mac. Check that it's in the Applications folder.
    • Also check that the USB disk has been mounted and its name is Catalina-USB
    • Open a Terminal window and type:
      sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/Catalina-USB
    • Enter your Mac password when requested.
    • This step will cause your USB install disk to be renamed to Install macOS Catalina.
    • If you encounter any errors, stop and report those errors.
  • Download Clover v5098 or newer from GitHub by clicking here and downloading the xxxx.pkg file.
    • Launch the Clover installer and allow the app to run (System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> General).
    • Click Continue, Continue, Change Install Location... and select the USB flash disk!
    • Then click Customize -- don't overlook this.
    • These 2 buttons are located here:
      View attachment 436339
    • Check that the Customize page looks exactly like this:
      View attachment 436340
    • Notice that Install RC scripts on target volume is unchecked. This is where you become our test subject! We'd like to start the installation without rc scripts and see what happens with shutdown and reboot. If shutdown and reboot don't work, then we can come back and install rc scripts.
    • Click the Install button.
  • Copy Clover Configurator to the standard partition of the USB flash disk (not the EFI partition).
  • The EFI partition of the USB install disk will already be mounted (Clover installer will do this automatically).
    • Open the EFI Folder on the EFI partition of USB disk. You'll see a CLOVER folder, of course.
    • Open the CLOVER folder.
    • Download the attached Catalina Fresh Install.zip into your Downloads folder on the Mac (not on the USB disk).
      • Open the CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and:
        • Delete all files in that folder and empty the trash.
        • Locate the folder Copy-to-drivers-UEFI in the above ZIP file you downloaded.
        • Copy all .efi files from this folder into CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
      • Open the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and:
        • Delete all files in that folder and empty the trash.
        • Locate the folder Copy-to-kexts-Other in the above ZIP file you downloaded.
        • Copy all .kext files from this folder into CLOVER/kexts/Other
      • Open the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on the USB disk (EFI partition) and:
        • Locate the Copy-to-ACPI-patched folder in the above ZIP file you downloaded.
        • Copy all .aml files from this folder into CLOVER/ACPI/patched
      • Finally, locate config.plist in the same ZIP file you downloaded.
        • Copy the config.plist to the CLOVER folder on the USB install disk, overwriting the one that is there already.
        • Now open the config.plist (from USB install disk) with Clover Configurator 5.7.0.0 or newer.
          • Go to the SMBIOS page.
          • Click the pop-up menu on the lower right and select iMac19,1.
          • Then check-on the Trust checkbox.
            View attachment 436342
          • Everything else is already set in this file. So save it and quit Clover Configurator.
  • Eject the USB flash disk.
Step 2: Install Catalina (note the difference between BIOS Boot Menu and Clover Boot Menu)
  • Insert the USB install disk into the Hackintosh and boot.
  • Press F12 at BIOS Splash screen to bring up the BIOS Boot Menu and select the USB flash disk.
  • When Clover Boot Menu appears, select Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina
  • Follow the onscreen progress and report any issues.
  • When the installer starts, you'll need to run Disk Utility from inside the installer, select your target Catalina NVMe SSD, and format it.
    • Be sure to select View --> Show All Devices and click on the parent name of the Catalina SSD. Failure to do so will be catastrophic.
    • Then select:
      • Name: Catalina (you can change it later)
      • Format: APFS
      • Schema: GUID Partition Map
    • Then begin the macOS installer.
  • NOTE 1:
    • Whenever the macOS installer starts, you'll see a lot of log messages on screen because verbose mode is enabled in config.plist.
    • When the last log message appears on screen there might be a 2-3 minute wait before the screen switches to graphics mode. Just be patient. If the delay is more than 7 minutes, let us know.
  • There might be one or two reboots.
    • Each time the system reboots, press F12 at BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu.
    • Select the USB install disk from the BIOS Boot Menu.
  • Now you'll be back at the Clover Boot Menu:
    • Whenever you see a boot option called Boot macOS Install from Catalina, choose that option.
    • Do not select the USB disk.
  • NOTE 2:
    • MacOS installation will resume and you'll see X Minutes Remaining.
    • It may take up to 10 minutes for the number "X" to begin to count down.
    • So if you see, for example, "28 Minutes Remaining", it may stay like that for 10 minutes before the number 28 counts down.
    • If it takes more than 15-30 minutes to begin the countdown, let us know.
  • If everything goes according to plan, you'll be greeted with the Catalina Welcome screen.
    • Follow the onscreen guide.
    • You may also sign in to iCloud when asked.
  • If you encounter any problems, stop and let us know.
Step 3: Post Installation
  • We'll make this really simple for now.
  • Run Clover Configurator which was copied to the USB flash disk in Step 1.
    • Click Mount EFI on left sidebar of Clover Configurator
    • Mount EFI partitions of (a) USB flash disk and (b) Catalina SSD.
    • Copy the entire EFI Folder from EFI partition of USB disk to EFI partition of Catalina SSD.
    • If you like, you can open config.plist from the Catalina EFI partition and remove the -v Boot Arguments flag. This will stop the detailed log messages at startup and shutdown.
  • Eject USB flash disk.
  • Reboot directly from Catalina SSD.
  • Does it work? Report any issues.

Update: Just got through performing this procedure successfully, so consider it validated, but not widely tested.

Hi. New here. I managed to install 10.15.1 this afternoon. But Thunderbolt doesn't work. I'm attempting to connect my UAD Arrow but to no avail. Really need that because without it my music production system will be incomplete. In system profile it says:
Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded.

What should I do? I'm not sure if I missed a step. Really hope you guys can help. Thanks

Back