Register

[SUCCESS] first build ever - Gigabyte & Corsair 650D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: first build ever - Hackintosh or otherwise

Build started:

7402452194_f566436fd7_m.jpg

7402451824_b376ec4d78_m.jpg

I only placed two stick of 4GB each for a total of 8GB. Then, later on I will add the other two sticks.

7402451478_2a9e6d4598_m.jpg

7402903014_d8c0f47088_m.jpg

I hope I am doing fine. I am now taking a break to watch my favorite Spanish Soap, "La Bella Ceci y El Imprudente". More pictures to come if this build works. :D :thumbup:

OK, I have a stupid question. My Sony DVD drive is just a plain SATA drive. Could I use any SATA3 cable to connect this SATA drive to, say a SATA2 port in the MOBO? I am about to wrap up installing the hardware, but I am not sure. I already tested the hardware without HDD, DVD, or GPU, and I was able to see the Gigabyte BIOS splash screen which makes me very happy since this is my first ever build. Anyhow, I would appreciate a response regarding this SATA issue. Thanks.

orestesdd said:
OK, I have a stupid question. My Sony DVD drive is just a plain SATA drive. Could I use any SATA3 cable to conect this SATA drive to, say a SATA2 port in the MOBO? I am about to wrap up installing the hardware, but I am not sure. I already tested the hardward without HDD, DVD, or GPU, and I was able to see the Gigabyte BIOS splash screen which makes me very happy since this is my first ever build. Anyhow, I would appreciate a response regarding this SATA issue. Thanks.

All SATA is compatible with all other SATA, so yes. Including cables.

Gordo74 said:
orestesdd said:
OK, I have a stupid question. My Sony DVD drive is just a plain SATA drive. Could I use any SATA3 cable to connect this SATA drive to, say a SATA2 port in the MOBO? I am about to wrap up installing the hardware, but I am not sure. I already tested the hardward without HDD, DVD, or GPU, and I was able to see the Gigabyte BIOS splash screen which makes me very happy since this is my first ever build. Anyhow, I would appreciate a response regarding this SATA issue. Thanks.

All SATA is compatible with all other SATA, so yes. Including cables.

Thanks.

OK, the build seems to work. I am installing Windows 7 Pro 64 first.

Pictures:

7409786720_61a6f7855c_m.jpg

7409786394_00f96a06cf_m.jpg

Thanks for everyone who helped me with this, but the hard part is yet to come, "installing Mac OS X SL 10.6.3 retail DVD".

Question, what do I need to make this build to have Wifi N? Thanks.

I updated the BIOS to F12 on my gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (Ver. 1.3) and took a look at the BIOS screen to get familiar with it. One thing I found odd right a way was to see my RAM set at 1333 where as the specs for my RAM says 1600. So what do I need to do to recognize the correct RAM speed? Do you need pictures of my BIOS screen? Let me know to provide some pictures if they are needed. By the way, I am still using Windows 7 before I make it into a hackintosh. Thanks.

orestesdd said:
I updated the BIOS to F12 on my gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (Ver. 1.3) and took a look at the BIOS screen to get familiar with it. One thing I found odd right a way was to see my RAM set at 1333 where as the specs for my RAM says 1600. So what do I need to do to recognize the correct RAM speed? Do you need pictures of my BIOS screen? Let me know to provide some pictures if they are needed. By the way, I am still using Windows 7 before I make it into a hackintosh. Thanks.
"Memory Types" ;)

Mate94 said:
orestesdd said:
"Memory Types" ;)

Could you be more explicit? What's "Memory Types"? What exactly should I do?

By the way, this is the memory I installed (only two 4GB sticks for a total of 8GB). I am planning to install another two 4GB sticks after installing Mac OS X.

Anyhow, thanks.

orestesdd said:
Mate94 said:
orestesdd said:
"Memory Types" ;)

Could you be more explicit? What's "Memory Types"? What exactly should I do?

By the way, this is the memory I installed (only two 4GB sticks for a total of 8GB). I am planning to install another two 4GB sticks after installing Mac OS X.

Anyhow, thanks.
Click on the text. :D

Mate94 said:
Click on the text. :D

OK this is what I see:

Memory Specifications
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 32 GB
Memory Types DDR3-1066/1333
# of Memory Channels 2
Max Memory Bandwidth 21 GB/s

But a while back I think I ask if the DDR3-1600 was useful, and I was told that regardless of what Intel says a DDR3-1600 is what I should buy. Does it mean that I wasted money while I should have bought a cheaper RAM, a DDR3-1333 for instance? I could have saved about $20 USD.

This is what I wrote way back at the beginning of this thread:
orestesdd said:
I wonder if any of the RAM which I selected are correct. Since I am going with a CPU i5-2500K, Intel says the following (See this at Intel website):

Max RAM: 32GB
RAM type: DDR3-1066/1333
Max RAM bandwidth: 21 GB/s
ECC Memory Supported: No

and if I understand correctly all the RAM I mentioned are DDR3-1600. Is this going to work? Or am I wrong? Please, let me know and thanks.

I found out that regardless of what Intel says, I must go with the recommendations given by the Gigabyte motherboard manual. This is what Gigabyte motherboard states:
Gigabyte motherboard manual wrote:
Support for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
Thus, I hope this helps someone having the same confusion which I had.
Thus, it is really confusing that I can't use the full speed of my RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back