Contribute
Register

(Success Build) GIGABYTE Z170X Designare x i7 6700k x macOS Sierra x Dual Boot x USB C Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey @Kuke i have a similar build and my external drives keep showing up as internal - even flash drives. what is your workaround on this?

Hey @Kuke Would you say that video card is good for gaming (FPS) and light video editing in something like Premiere? I'm looking to build a similar setup
Im truly sorry as I've spent some time away from the community. The card is good for gaming but I wouldn't recommend it for high end gaming, nor would I recommend a Mac for gaming. However, I usually can run intense games like World of Warcraft at 60fps at 1080p. If you are looking for 4k or multi monitor set ups, you should do some research on another card in my opinion. I hope that helps you out a bit. If you have any more questions feel free to ask me.

Hello,

I've got the same Motherboard as you and I'm having some issues with my USB-C Ports, they don't seem to work both ways. USB-C is meant to be reversible and when I plug in a USB3 Flash Drive via an Apple USB-C to USB Type-A Adaptor, I plug into Port 01 which is closest to my DP In and USB-C Works, I flip the plug and plug it in upside down and it works. I move over to Port 02 which is closest to HDMI, I plug it in and it doesn't work, I plug it in upside down and it works. I have replicated Port 02 not working when plugged in right way up on both Windows 10 64 Bit and macOS 10.12.3. Can you verify if you have similar problems when reversing the cable?

Also, when you say:
'If anyone has read up on successful USB-C/TB3 builds, they require a driver to be installed on a Windows partition that activates the port on your Z170 board. Once this is worked out, you may use USB-C devices on your CustoMac.'

Are you referencing the TB Firmware Update? I've done that but I wasn't too sure if it was for TB only or TB/USB-C.
Hey, I apologize for a late response. As of now, I am having no issues with the reversible cable even with the adapters attached. Downloading the TB utilities on the Windows side from Gigabyte helped me get my Mbox working through TB3. I have not tried any other devices so I don't know if it something specific to my set up. I can confirm that both ports work as well. I hope you have some success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back