Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey folks,

Has anyone managed to get 2100mA of power from the USB ports using OpenCore while charging their iPhone/iPad/iPod?

It used to work with Clover, but probably needs some extra configuration with OC that I was not able to find.

Motherboard
GA-Z370N wifi
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
HD 630 - RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey folks,

Has anyone managed to get 2100mA of power from the USB ports using OpenCore while charging their iPhone/iPad/iPod?

It used to work with Clover, but probably needs some extra configuration with OC that I was not able to find.
Hey my MB developed a problem of constant rebooting even before BIOS screen so had to replace it, was without it for >20 days, so late reply, anyway I don't know if i am getting 2100mA but i am able to charge my ipad air 1st generation.

Anyone upgraded to OC 0.6.6?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey my MB developed a problem of constant rebooting even before BIOS screen so had to replace it, was without it for >20 days, so late reply, anyway I don't know if i am getting 2100mA but i am able to charge my ipad air 1st generation.

Anyone upgraded to OC 0.6.6?
May I ask you how was your experience with the Gigabyte support? My Z370N WIFI had some issue with USB after wake-up (crackling/distortion) and I'm trying to fix/replace it, It's still on the two year warranty but I have some trouble with the support to make it covered by the warranty.

I'm running the same system now with a GA Z370P D3 and no issue

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8086k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Updated to 0.6.4 + Kexts + Open Canopy GUI. Tested on Mac OS Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B50) with F13 BIOS and SMBIOS 19,1. IGPU + GPU (rx 580 8gb). DRM Content on Safari 14 (Mojave/Catalina/Big Sur) still broken even on some "real" macs. Use another web browser instead to avoid this issue (with shikigva=80).
Updated to 0.6.6 + Kexts + Open Canopy GUI. Tested on Mac OS Big Sur 11.2 (20D64) with F13 BIOS and SMBIOS 19,1. IGPU + GPU (rx 580 8gb). DRM Content on Safari 14 (Mojave/Catalina/Big Sur) still broken even on some "real" macs. Use another web browser instead to avoid this issue (with shikigva=80).

I strongly recommend a reset on NVRAM after this update.

Config.plist:
  • Misc -> security -> AllowNvramReset: YES - After, reboot, reset, and Misc -> security -> AllowNvramReset: NO

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    9.2 MB · Views: 43
Motherboard
GA-Z370N wifi
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
HD 630 - RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
May I ask you how was your experience with the Gigabyte support? My Z370N WIFI had some issue with USB after wake-up (crackling/distortion) and I'm trying to fix/replace it, It's still on the two year warranty but I have some trouble with the support to make it covered by the warranty.

I'm running the same system now with a GA Z370P D3 and no issue
This is the third time this problem has occurred they have repaired it in warranty period all 3 times but it took them >10 days. Now it is out of warranty so I have to be ready with an alternative if the problem reoccurs.

Motherboard
GA-Z370N wifi
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
HD 630 - RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Updated to 0.6.6 + Kexts + Open Canopy GUI. Tested on Mac OS Big Sur 11.2 (20D64) with F13 BIOS and SMBIOS 19,1. IGPU + GPU (rx 580 8gb). DRM Content on Safari 14 (Mojave/Catalina/Big Sur) still broken even on some "real" macs. Use another web browser instead to avoid this issue (with shikigva=80).

Config.plist:
  • Misc -> security -> AllowNvramReset: YES - After, reboot, reset, and Misc -> security -> AllowNvramReset: NO
Thanks

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Rajkhand and @rrviega could you guys please check the charging current provided to your Apple devices?

With the device connected, click the Apple button -> About this Mac -> System Report -> USB (under the first tab Hardware). Then click the name of the device and please report the value for Current Available (mA) and Current Required (mA). I really appreciate it!

Motherboard
GA-Z370N wifi
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
HD 630 - RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Rajkhand and @rrviega could you guys please check the charging current provided to your Apple devices?

With the device connected, click the Apple button -> About this Mac -> System Report -> USB (under the first tab Hardware). Then click the name of the device and please report the value for Current Available (mA) and Current Required (mA). I really appreciate it!
iPad:

Product ID: 0x12ab
Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
Version: 4.01
Serial Number:
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/s
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Location ID:
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 1600
Sleep current (mA): 2100

Motherboard
Z370N WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i5-8400
Graphics
RX 480 8GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android

Config.plist:
hi, we have almost the same machine, i'm writing you cause i'm still on F10 bios, can you please upload your Bios profile? i would lilke to upgrade to F13
thank you very much

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hack Pro dGPU+iGPU EFI (see signature).

Tested with 10.15.7 Crapalina.
Tested with 11.2.1 Big Smurf.

• DSDT (patched by MaLd0n)
-FIX ERRORS AND WARNINGS
-FIX ACPI ERRORS
-REMOVE UNUSED SCOPES / DEVICES
-HIGH PRECISION EVENT TIMER
-SATA SERIE ID
-DMAC
-REMOVE LINES, PROBLEMATIC and UNUSED
-FIX K.P in REBOOT
-NVRAM
-REAL TIME CLOCK
-SLPB
-DARWIN / WINDOWS
-XHCI
-PLUGIN TYPE
-HDEF
-ARTC
-IPIC
-TIMR
-SBUS
-BUS1
-MCHC
-ALS0
-SHUTDOWN
-UAR1
-LAN
-FWHD
-USBX
-PMCR
-PPMC
-XSPI
-GMM
-kUSBCompanionIndex
-io-device-location
-IMEI
-EC
-PNLF
-ARPT
-GFX0
-NVME
-ACPI-WAKE-GPE
-DTGP
-ACQUIRE MUT0 0XFFFF
-MUTEX MUT0 0x00
-EXTERNAL REFERENCES
-UNKNOWNOBJ
-HDMI / HDAU
-FULL RENAMED DEVICE
  • Mapped USB Ports

Enabled: 15 ports consisting of some backside ports including USB-C, internal BRCM20702 Hub for WiFi/BT functionality and internal USB 3 ports following this mapping layout if I recall correctly.

Disabled: some internal and backside ports

Need different ports mapped?

See here, RTFM, DIY and don’t clutter this thread with things that already have been discussed.

• Native NVRAM
  • F13 BIOS
  • Clover r5131
  • Quirks in config.plist, OpenRuntime.efi in CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder
  • iMac 19,1 SysDef with iGPU enabled in BIOS while running in headless mode
  • Fully functional dGPU RX 570. If using AMD Navi dGPU, remember to add "agdpmod=pikera" in boot-args or you get a black screen. And use iMac 19,1 or iMacPro 1,1 SysDef depending on whether you want to use your iGPU in headless mode.
  • Big Smurf Clover theme included in CLOVER/themes (currently set to "Catalina", change to "BigSur" in GUI section if desired)
  • shikigva=80 for DRM playback

Working: everything

Not working: -

Installation notes:

Due to significant changes in Clover it might be a good idea to install r5128 in EFI partition at first and paste in the EFI folder below afterwards (and before rebooting of course).

Paste in MLB, Serial Number, Board Serial Number, SmUUID.
Remove/adjust memory settings in config.plist (SMBIOS section) according to your own needs.
Take a look here to create your own custom entries.

Side note:

„But why do you call it „Big Smurf“, rramon?“
„Because its design is intended for smurf usage – both technically and UI-wise – that’s why.“

Attachments

• Hack Pro_EFI_rramon.zip
    21.8 MB · Views: 30
Last edited: