Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i7 8700
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, everyone! I have changed the case(it was Geeek a50) for my hackintosh and the new one(Geeek G1 SE) is slightly bigger, has way better cooling ,which means can fit bigger gpu and can cool it down.
Here they are side to side:
Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 3.05.39 PM.png
Currently I'm using Gigabyte 5700 xt and surprisingly Corsair SF Gold 450w PSU can handle it. But now I'm thinking to replace PSU with 750w one and gpu with reference 6800xt card. It seems like I won't need to do any tinkering, same agdpmod=pikera should allow me to boot with no problem, am I right?

Also i though I might just also replace i7 8700 with i9 9900k , but this one isn't that easy right? What will i need to do in this case? Thanks for your time!

P.S.Using it with latest Big Sur and not planning to update any time soon.
P.P.S.My new M1 Max with 64gb unified memory is quicker than hackintosh in any regard, but still lacks the compatibility with some really useful plugins that I use on a daily basis, so I'm not switching to it yet.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@serg1892

If you go with a 6800xt you should definitely replace your PSU, yes.
450W isn’t enough for RDNA2.
bootarg stays the same, yap.

Replacing your CPU shouldn't be a problem. It might occur that speedstepping wouldn't work as expected because an i7 8700 matches the iMac19,1 sysdef more closely (assuming you're using that for your rig). If you don‘t plan to overclock, choose the non-k version - there‘s no considerable performance increase to expect.

In general, I believe that it might be a good idea to update to F14 BIOS at some point especially concerning the Resizable-BAR

But according to the release notes there‘s no possibility of downgrading to an earlier BIOS version once the update to F14 has been done.

Clover setting for ResizeAppleGPUBars explained here

Anyone around who updated to F14 and is willing to share some insights?

@Rajkhand

Monterey is a hot mess atm and it will stay like that for a while I'm afraid.

BT/WiFi issues are persistant even with original Apple modules - this is quite astonishing since Universal Control which is going to be released with 12.3 is a solely network related feature and - since it’s one of their USP’s for Monterey - one would assume that they wouldn‘t f this up.

TL;DR: I don‘t expect rebranded WiFi cards to work reliably in the future.

There‘s a known problem with Samsung SSD‘s/NVME‘s and broken TRIM which explains increased boot time with Monterey. As this is hardware-related it can happen on BigSur as well, the only solution is swapping the drive, Sabrent Rocket WD Black SN750 (non SE) seems to work fine.

GPU metal scores significantly dropped for RDNA2 with 12.2 and the not yet released 12.3 by the way.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hack Pro dGPU+iGPU EFI (see signature).

Tested with 11.6.4 Big Smurf, ready for 12.x Monterey Jack.
OC not tested yet.

• DSDT (patched by MaLd0n)
-FIX ERRORS AND WARNINGS
-FIX ACPI ERRORS
-REMOVE UNUSED SCOPES / DEVICES
-HIGH PRECISION EVENT TIMER
-SATA SERIE ID
-DMAC
-REMOVE LINES, PROBLEMATIC and UNUSED
-FIX K.P in REBOOT
-NVRAM
-REAL TIME CLOCK
-SLPB
-DARWIN / WINDOWS
-XHCI
-PLUGIN TYPE
-HDEF
-ARTC
-IPIC
-TIMR
-SBUS
-BUS1
-MCHC
-ALS0
-SHUTDOWN
-UAR1
-LAN
-FWHD
-USBX
-PMCR
-PPMC
-XSPI
-GMM
-kUSBCompanionIndex
-io-device-location
-IMEI
-EC
-PNLF
-ARPT
-GFX0
-NVME
-ACPI-WAKE-GPE
-DTGP
-ACQUIRE MUT0 0XFFFF
-MUTEX MUT0 0x00
-EXTERNAL REFERENCES
-UNKNOWNOBJ
-HDMI / HDAU
-FULL RENAMED DEVICE
  • Mapped USB Ports on 11.2.3 (copycat hasslefree)

Enabled: 15 ports consisting of some backside ports including USB-C, internal BRCM20702 Hub for WiFi/BT functionality and internal USB 3 ports following this mapping layout if I recall correctly.

Disabled: some internal and backside ports

Need different ports mapped?

See here, RTFM, DIY and don’t clutter this thread with things that already have been discussed.

• Native NVRAM
  • Monterey Jack-ready: HWTarget set to j160, ExtendedFirmwareFeatures for iMac 19,1 implemented, RestrictEvents.kext in CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, needed bootarg -revsbvmm set as of 12.1 this is uneccessary
  • Latest SMBIOS
  • F13 BIOS
  • Clover r5145
  • Quirks in config.plist, OpenRuntime.efi in CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder
  • iMac 19,1 SysDef with iGPU enabled in BIOS while running in headless mode
  • Fully functional dGPU RX 570. If using AMD Navi dGPU, remember to add "agdpmod=pikera" in boot-args or you get a black screen. And use iMac 19,1 or iMacPro 1,1 SysDef depending on whether you want to use your iGPU in headless mode.
  • Big Smurf Clover theme included in CLOVER/themes
  • shikigva=80 for DRM playback

Working: everything

Not working: as HS11 is disabled -> front right USB port.
Solution: downgrade one of the backside USB3 ports to USB2 and activate HS11 to get front right USB port working.

Installation notes:

If you want to keep receiving further Big Sur patches (like 11.6.4 at this point of time or future security updates) remove all config.plist entries and kexts mentioned in the bullet point „Monterey Jack-ready“ as these are only needed for updating to MacOS Monterey and/or receiving updates while on this OS.

Create your own custom boot entry for Big Sur Preboot partition following these steps.

Stop using Clover Configurator as it's known to be buggy – use a proper editor instead (i.e. PlistEditPro).

Paste in MLB, Serial Number, Board Serial Number, SmUUID an CustomUUID.

Remove/adjust memory settings in config.plist (SMBIOS section) according to your own needs.

Side note:

„But why do you call it „Big Smurf“, rramon?“
„Because its design is intended for smurf usage – both technically and UI-wise – that’s why.“

Attachments

• Hack Pro_EFI_rramon.zip
    36.7 MB · Views: 25
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hack Mini iGPU only EFI (see signature).

Tested with 11.6.5 Big Smurf, ready for 12.x Monterey Jack.
OC not tested yet.

-FIX ERRORS AND WARNINGS
-FIX ACPI ERRORS
-SATA SERIE ID
-DMAC
-FIX K.P in REBOOT
-NVRAM
-REAL TIME CLOCK
-SLPB
-DARWIN / WINDOWS
-XHCI
-PLUGIN TYPE
-HDEF
-ARTC
-IPIC
-TIMR
-SBUS
-BUS1
-MCHC
-ALS0
-SHUTDOWN
-UAR1
-LAN
-FWHD
-USBX
-PMCR
-PPMC
-XSPI
-GMM
-kUSBCompanionIndex
-io-device-location
-IMEI
-EC
-PNLF
-ARPT
-GFX0
-NVME
-ACPI-WAKE-GPE
-DTGP
-ACQUIRE MUT0 0XFFFF
-MUTEX MUT0 0x00
-EXTERNAL REFERENCES
-UNKNOWNOBJ
-HDMI / HDAU
-FULL RENAMED DEVICES

Enabled: 15 ports consisting of all backside ports including USB-C and internal BRCM20702 Hub for WiFi/BT functionality

Disabled: all internal and frontside ports

See here, RTFM, DIY and don’t clutter this thread with things that already have been discussed.

• Native NVRAM
  • Monterey Jack-ready: HWTarget set to j160, ExtendedFirmwareFeatures for iMac 18,1 implemented, RestrictEvents.kext in CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, needed bootarg -revsbvmm set as of 12.1 this is uneccessary
  • Latest SMBIOS
  • F13 BIOS
  • Clover r5145
  • iMac 18,1 SysDef
  • DSDT should work with dGPU, try yourself. If using AMD Navi dGPU, remember to add "agdpmod=pikera" in boot-args or you get a black screen. And use iMac 19,1 or iMacPro 1,1 SysDef depending on whether you want to use your IGPU in headless mode.

Not working: -

Installation notes:

If you want to keep receiving further Big Sur patches (like 11.6.5 at this point of time or future security updates) remove all config.plist entries and kexts mentioned in the bullet point „Monterey Jack-ready“ as these are only needed for updating to MacOS Monterey and/or receiving updates while on this OS.

Create your own custom boot entry for Big Sur Preboot partition following these steps.

Stop using Clover Configurator as it's known to be buggy – use a proper editor instead (i.e. PlistEditPro).

Paste in MLB, Serial Number, Board Serial Number, SmUUID.

Remove/adjust memory settings in config.plist (SMBIOS section) according to your own needs.

Side note:

„Because its design is intended for smurf usage – both technically and UI-wise – that’s why.“

Attachments

• Hack Mini_EFI_rramon.zip
    30.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i7 8700
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi there! Thanks for replying me, by the time you did that I already had a card coming to me and by now I successfully installed it.
If you go with a 6800xt you should definitely replace your PSU, yes.
450W isn’t enough for RDNA2.
bootarg stays the same, yap.

I have read that some of the folks had luck with 450w PSU and 6800XT, but decided to spent a bit more( ~ 200 USD) for a decent 750 PSU from Corsair.
here they are right before the installation:
new toys in boxes.jpeg
Fitting it was a challenge, but apparently that was the hardest part, because I did nothing in order to make it work, it just did from the first try:
overview.png
Here are my Geekbench and Unigine Heaven Benchmark scores:
geekbench metal.png
geekbench open cl.png
Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0.png
So I guess they aren't bad. Also gaming under Windows had a significant boost as well, but my priority was FCP performance first, due the fact that 8gb in 5700xt was quite often not enough for 4k timeline with variety of heavy VFX, so I had to create a separate project in order to render few seconds of some heavy effects, export them and use on a main timeline as a prores clip. making changes that way is...long. Now I don't need to do that.
Replacing your CPU shouldn't be a problem. It might occur that speedstepping wouldn't work as expected because an i7 8700 matches the iMac19,1 sysdef more closely (assuming you're using that for your rig). If you don‘t plan to overclock, choose the non-k version - there‘s no considerable performance increase to expect
I've made a decision to postpone this purchase, especially since it won't make huge difference in my current workflow, unlike upgrade of the GPU did. But thanks again!

In general, I believe that it might be a good idea to update to F14 BIOS at some point especially concerning the Resizable-BAR
Looks interesting and promising, but I prefer to play safe with my editing rig, so I'll wait for more feedback on this.

Overall my only thought about further enhancing the user experience with this hackintosh is probably trying to change iMac 19,1 to iMacPro 1,1 and see what can I gain with that.

I don't really use SideCar these days, and believe once I switch to iMacPro 1,1 will loose that ability, but I will have even bigger boost in GPU performance, not sure whether it will be better than 6800xt + QuickSync though.

Since I have a second backup SSD will try there first, will post the results here. In theory I only will have to disable the Intel graphics in BIOS and generate new SMBIOS.

Motherboard
GA-Z370N-WiFi
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is there any drawback to going iMacPro 1,1 and/or disabling the iGPU?

(I had been on iMac 19,1)

I had recently switched to it for getting DRM working. I just realized I still have iGPU set as “headless mode” in config.plist and also I still have the iGPU enabled in my BIOS.

Is the iGPU just getting ignored by macOS right now due to the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS ?

Motherboard
z370n
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
VEGA RX 56
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Mac OS X 11.6.5
open core 0.8
Z370N Wifi
F10BIOS
DW1560
MSI AIRBOOS RX VEGA 56

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hack Pro dGPU+iGPU EFI (see signature).

Tested with 11.6.6 Big Smurf, ready for 12.x Monterey Jack.
OC not tested yet.

-FIX ERRORS AND WARNINGS
-FIX ACPI ERRORS
-SATA SERIE ID
-DMAC
-FIX K.P in REBOOT
-NVRAM
-REAL TIME CLOCK
-SLPB
-DARWIN / WINDOWS
-XHCI
-PLUGIN TYPE
-HDEF
-ARTC
-IPIC
-TIMR
-SBUS
-BUS1
-MCHC
-ALS0
-SHUTDOWN
-UAR1
-LAN
-FWHD
-USBX
-PMCR
-PPMC
-XSPI
-GMM
-kUSBCompanionIndex
-io-device-location
-IMEI
-EC
-PNLF
-ARPT
-GFX0
-NVME
-ACPI-WAKE-GPE
-DTGP
-ACQUIRE MUT0 0XFFFF
-MUTEX MUT0 0x00
-EXTERNAL REFERENCES
-UNKNOWNOBJ
-HDMI / HDAU
-FULL RENAMED DEVICE

Enabled: 15 ports consisting of some backside ports including USB-C, internal BRCM20702 Hub for WiFi/BT functionality and internal USB 3 ports following this mapping layout if I recall correctly.

Disabled: some internal and backside ports

• Native NVRAM
  • Monterey Jack-ready: HWTarget set to j160, ExtendedFirmwareFeatures for iMac 19,1 implemented, RestrictEvents.kext in CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, needed bootarg -revsbvmm set as of 12.1 this is uneccessary
  • Latest SMBIOS
  • F13 BIOS
  • Clover r5146
  • iMac 19,1 SysDef with iGPU enabled in BIOS while running in headless mode
  • Fully functional dGPU RX 570. If using AMD Navi dGPU, remember to add "agdpmod=pikera" in boot-args or you get a black screen. And use iMac 19,1 or iMacPro 1,1 SysDef depending on whether you want to use your iGPU in headless mode.
  • shikigva=80 for DRM playback

Not working: as HS11 is disabled -> front right USB port.
Solution: downgrade one of the backside USB3 ports to USB2 and activate HS11 to get front right USB port working.

Installation notes:

If you want to keep receiving further Big Sur patches (like 11.6.6 at this point of time or future security updates) remove all config.plist entries and kexts mentioned in the bullet point „Monterey Jack-ready“ as these are only needed for updating to MacOS Monterey and/or receiving updates while on this OS.

Paste in MLB, Serial Number, Board Serial Number, SmUUID an CustomUUID.

Side note:

Attachments

• Hack Pro_EFI_rramon.zip
    36.8 MB · Views: 8
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Tested with 11.6.6 Big Smurf, ready for 12.x Monterey Jack.
OC not tested yet.

-FIX ERRORS AND WARNINGS
-FIX ACPI ERRORS
-SATA SERIE ID
-DMAC
-FIX K.P in REBOOT
-NVRAM
-REAL TIME CLOCK
-SLPB
-DARWIN / WINDOWS
-XHCI
-PLUGIN TYPE
-HDEF
-ARTC
-IPIC
-TIMR
-SBUS
-BUS1
-MCHC
-ALS0
-SHUTDOWN
-UAR1
-LAN
-FWHD
-USBX
-PMCR
-PPMC
-XSPI
-GMM
-kUSBCompanionIndex
-io-device-location
-IMEI
-EC
-PNLF
-ARPT
-GFX0
-NVME
-ACPI-WAKE-GPE
-DTGP
-ACQUIRE MUT0 0XFFFF
-MUTEX MUT0 0x00
-EXTERNAL REFERENCES
-UNKNOWNOBJ
-HDMI / HDAU
-FULL RENAMED DEVICES

Enabled: 15 ports consisting of all backside ports including USB-C and internal BRCM20702 Hub for WiFi/BT functionality

• Native NVRAM
  • Monterey Jack-ready: HWTarget set to j160, ExtendedFirmwareFeatures for iMac 18,1 implemented, RestrictEvents.kext in CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, needed bootarg -revsbvmm set as of 12.1 this is uneccessary
  • Latest SMBIOS
  • F13 BIOS
  • Clover r5146
  • iMac 18,1 SysDef
  • DSDT should work with dGPU, try yourself. If using AMD Navi dGPU, remember to add "agdpmod=pikera" in boot-args or you get a black screen. And use iMac 19,1 or iMacPro 1,1 SysDef depending on whether you want to use your IGPU in headless mode.

Installation notes:

If you want to keep receiving further Big Sur patches (like 11.6.6 at this point of time or future security updates) remove all config.plist entries and kexts mentioned in the bullet point „Monterey Jack-ready“ as these are only needed for updating to MacOS Monterey and/or receiving updates while on this OS.

Side note:

Attachments

30.3 MB · Views: 8
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Tested with 12.4 Monterey Jack.
OC not tested yet.

-FIX ERRORS AND WARNINGS
-FIX ACPI ERRORS
-SATA SERIE ID
-DMAC
-FIX K.P in REBOOT
-NVRAM
-REAL TIME CLOCK
-SLPB
-DARWIN / WINDOWS
-XHCI
-PLUGIN TYPE
-HDEF
-ARTC
-IPIC
-TIMR
-SBUS
-BUS1
-MCHC
-ALS0
-SHUTDOWN
-UAR1
-LAN
-FWHD
-USBX
-PMCR
-PPMC
-XSPI
-GMM
-kUSBCompanionIndex
-io-device-location
-IMEI
-EC
-PNLF
-ARPT
-GFX0
-NVME
-ACPI-WAKE-GPE
-DTGP
-ACQUIRE MUT0 0XFFFF
-MUTEX MUT0 0x00
-EXTERNAL REFERENCES
-UNKNOWNOBJ
-HDMI / HDAU
-FULL RENAMED DEVICES

• Native NVRAM
  • HWTarget set to j160
  • ExtendedFirmwareFeatures for iMac 18,1 implemented
  • Latest SMBIOS
  • F13 BIOS
  • Clover r5146
  • iMac 18,1 SysDef

Installation notes:

While attempting to update and a point release is downloading in the background, remove HWTarget entry located in the RTvariables section of your config.plist otherwise you won't be able to install the update. Alternatively (and if you forgot to remove the entry while the update is downloading), you can remove HWTarget entry and reboot – the update should be installable then.

Create your own custom boot entry for Monterey Jack Preboot partition following these steps.

Side note:

„But why do you call it „Monterey Jack“, rramon?“
„Because it's the finest cheese Apple released up to this point – that’s why.“

Attachments

30.3 MB · Views: 6