Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] 10.12.6 Asus Z270 Prime A + i7 7000 + GTX1070 + Samsung 960 EVO NVMe + Thunderbolt EX3

Motherboard
Asus Prime H270-PRO
CPU
i5-7500
Graphics
GTX 1050
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'm very interested in this build but I see that the Prime Z270-A is listed as end of life. Does anyone know what its replacement is please?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz
Graphics
Integrated HD
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'm very interested in this build but I see that the Prime Z270-A is listed as end of life. Does anyone know what its replacement is please?
It is the Z370 Prime A, which has recently been updated to also use the Intel Core i9 CPUs.

Motherboard
Asus Z370-A Prime
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@Middleman We have pretty much the same setup here. The one thing I can't do is boot with USB Enabled in the TB bios settings. Not that I need it, I just want to know why. Any thoughts?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz
Graphics
Integrated HD
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi all,

I'm planning to do a build with these components. I was wondering if this build can work using Intel's integrated graphic card or with a less expensive graphic card?
Thanks
Oh absolutely. All you have to do is use the default setting and remove the Nvidiaweb drivers or any reference to the Nvida settings. Follow other Asus Prime guides that use the Intel chip GPU. That should work.

@Middleman We have pretty much the same setup here. The one thing I can't do is boot with USB Enabled in the TB bios settings. Not that I need it, I just want to know why. Any thoughts?
That's a bit odd. To enable the TB3 card to work, the first you need to do is have a working Windows 10 setup so that you can update the TB3 firmware on the card. No matter when you bought the card, the update is essential for it to work 100% in OSX. As my guide stated you need to upload the Asus TB3 firmware updates in numerical order, so that it activates properly (and make sure it is detected in the Asus TB3 properties in Windows). The second is that the PCI card should sit on the 3rd slot in the system (with the relevant wire plugged into the motherboard) for most of the functions to activate.

Motherboard
Asus Z370-A Prime
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi all,

Oh absolutely. All you have to do is use the default setting and remove the Nvidiaweb drivers or any reference to the Nvida settings. Follow other Asus Prime guides that use the Intel chip GPU. That should work.

That's a bit odd. To enable the TB3 card to work, the first you need to do is have a working Windows 10 setup so that you can update the TB3 firmware on the card. No matter when you bought the card, the update is essential for it to work 100% in OSX. As my guide stated you need to upload the Asus TB3 firmware updates in numerical order, so that it activates properly (and make sure it is detected in the Asus TB3 properties in Windows). The second is that the PCI card should sit on the 3rd slot in the system (with the relevant wire plugged into the motherboard) for most of the functions to activate.
I should have followed up. Sorry about that. I spent some time making sure all of my patches were in the correct folders instead of "other" in the EFI and also did a custom SSDT for USB. I had a ton of redundancies and unnecessary items and in the wrong places. After cleaning up the place I went back and enabled USB on the card and all went well. I can even use it in clover. I also have a hot swap enabled and it works super well. Im especially surprised how it works in between reboots. The only quirk is going from complete shut down to boot: turn on TB device, boot, restart, back in business.